D-05 Linear Synthesizer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

raymondh

09 Sep 2017

Heater wrote:
09 Sep 2017
This looks very cool

https://www.roland.com/global/products/d-05/

I'm unsure about this one.

I love the D-50 sound, and the LA synthesis approach generally. My second synth was an MT-32 which is nowhere near as good as the D-50 but even that was great.

Enya's Watermark was a great showcase of the D-50, as was Jean-Michel Jarre's Revolutions album.

There are some fabulous D-50 sounds in Bitley's Way Beyond Fairlight refill. But it would still be nice to have a fully programmable LA synth. (On that note I see them calling it a Linear Synthesizer, where originally they called it Linear Arithmetic).

For performance work, I could see how this hardware D-50 recreation would be good, but in the studio I'm not sure.
I have the Boutique JP-08 and JU-06 and the sound is great, but some VST's come pretty close, and VSTs / Rack Extensions are way better when it comes to workflow.
So the real value proposition in the studio is the tactile/hands on control - all the sliders and knobs for programming the instruments. Sure a control surface can do this, but the layout and the aesthetics of the panels make the hardware more immediate, more inviting and all the controls are 'live' for all the units without switching device focus etc.

This D-05 doesn't have the PG programmer - just the data entry approach - so apart from the joystick, not all that tactile as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, at least it is not limited to 4 voice polyphony!! So that is a huge plus!

The only D-50 software emulation I'm aware of is the Roland Cloud device, which I am not subscribing to any time soon. Anyone aware of any others?

bpmorton

10 Sep 2017

I saw some screen shots of a possible VST editor for this. I'm sure they are working on one for when the D-05 gets released.

bpmorton

10 Sep 2017

link to a Roland Boutique Facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rolandsalon/

O1B

10 Sep 2017

A contradiction or two, it seems...

For performance, you see how a controller is useful, but negate the JP-08 and JU-06 as controllers.
Do the 'some VSTs' you're referencing have a controller? Seems unlikely.
raymondh wrote:
09 Sep 2017
For performance work, I could see how this hardware D-50 recreation would be good, but in the studio I'm not sure. I have the Boutique JP-08 and JU-06 and the sound is great, but some VST's come pretty close,
Again, an RE/VST without a proper controller doesn't allow for proper exploration -
like the knobs n sliders on the Boutiques do.
and VSTs / Rack Extensions are way better when it comes to workflow.

raymondh

10 Sep 2017

O1B wrote:
10 Sep 2017
A contradiction or two, it seems...

For performance, you see how a controller is useful, but negate the JP-08 and JU-06 as controllers.
Do the 'some VSTs' you're referencing have a controller? Seems unlikely.
raymondh wrote:
09 Sep 2017
For performance work, I could see how this hardware D-50 recreation would be good, but in the studio I'm not sure. I have the Boutique JP-08 and JU-06 and the sound is great, but some VST's come pretty close,
Again, an RE/VST without a proper controller doesn't allow for proper exploration -
like the knobs n sliders on the Boutiques do.
and VSTs / Rack Extensions are way better when it comes to workflow.
For performance, you don't have to lug around a computer as the unit is a standalone synthesizer.

I don't think I said the JP or JU were not good as controllers, or for performance.

Where is the contradiction or two?

raymondh

10 Sep 2017

bpmorton wrote:
10 Sep 2017
link to a Roland Boutique Facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rolandsalon/
Thanks! There is another Boutique group too.

aeox
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2017

This thing sounds amazing for it's time and for a digital synth. Such depth.

Marco Raaphorst

10 Sep 2017

Would be cool to do some Thor patches simulating those old D50 flavours.

O1B

10 Sep 2017

Tempting. Id part with the A-01 for that. 64 steps, patches... Etc.
Of course, I only paid $100 for it on 'verb.

That joystick action is pretty sweet.
Morphing Alchemy style.

In reason, vectorizer can give you a position in space...
Patch building is easy...
Now for a joystick controller - round, not a square [XY] pad

O1B

10 Sep 2017

'Where is the contradiction or two?'
Apologies. I didn't mean that you made some abominable fallacy.

but, you did say 'the Boutique JP-08 and JU-06 and the sound is great, but some VST's come pretty close, and VSTs / Rack Extensions are way better when it comes to workflow.'

while saying - 'So the real value proposition in the studio is the tactile/hands on control - all the sliders and knobs for programming the instruments.'

Your second statement means REs/VSTs less 'better' regarding performance control... given there is minimal to NO control.
And, according to you, REs/VSTs only 'come pretty close'

But, no biggie... i like options..
raymondh wrote:
10 Sep 2017
O1B wrote:
10 Sep 2017
A contradiction or two, it seems... ...
For performance, you don't have to lug around a computer as the unit is a standalone synthesizer.
I don't think I said the JP or JU were not good as controllers, or for performance.
Last edited by O1B on 06 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

11 Sep 2017

O1B wrote:
10 Sep 2017

but, you did say 'the Boutique JP-08 and JU-06 ..,.[sounds] great, but some VST's come pretty close, and VSTs / Rack Extensions are way better when it comes to workflow.'

while saying - 'So the real value proposition in the studio is the tactile/hands on control - all the sliders and knobs for programming the instruments.'

Your second statement would lead one to believe that REs/VSTs are less 'better' regarding performance control... given there is minimal to NO control. And, according to you, REs/VSTs only 'come pretty close'

raymondh wrote:
10 Sep 2017

Last edited by O1B on 06 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

miscend

11 Sep 2017

There is also a VST version of the D50 on the Roland Cloud service.

O1B

06 Oct 2017

Thanks for the cloud advice. I took shot and picked up the D-05.
One of my favorites now. These are the ideas i was after.

There is a yt video tutorial on the Cloud D-50 which explains the Partials, Structure, CHASE, routing, fx, etc, pretty well.
Maybe the Cloud in the future, but the video advise was enough for now:

This is not a redundant synth in my collection.
- a full sizeed D-50 with PG-1000 for P1-level access would be ideal ...and, way more affordable than a Jupiter 8.
BUT, with the D-05, I can MASH more than 4 keys on an 0utboard synth again. YES!

i sure could use this concept PG-1000x
miscend wrote:
11 Sep 2017
There is also a VST version of the D50 on the Roland Cloud service.

raymondh

06 Oct 2017

I'll try and clarify my view here. Of course just my opinion experience;

Sound:
- I think the Roland Boutiques sound better that VST/RE emulations. Still not as good as the original hardware, but very close (esp the Juno). I am specifically referring to comparison of these hardware boutiques vs third party emulations of same synths.
- I can't comment on the quality of Roland cloud synths since I have not tried them (and will not, so long as they use a subscription pricing model)

Workflow for programming/sound design:
- The 'hardwired layout' of the controls of the Boutique, while being small, are still more tactile/immediate than either (1) mouse or (2) generic control surface
- My own experience with generic controllers is that if I want to program a software synth, I end up using the mouse and onscreen UI rather than my control surface. It is because with my control surface I have to remember which slide changed the Amp envelope attack, which button changed filter type etc. So I don't bother and just use the mouse. For my Boutiques, I know exactly where to go to control each parameter, without thinking about it.

Workflow for arranging/recording:
- Soft synth = sound patch saved with song, multiple concurrent instances, don't need a separate track to record/capture the audio back from the hardware, don't need to compensate for MIDI/recording latency.

Context;
- I never play live, only work in studio.

O1B wrote:
10 Sep 2017

but, you did say 'the Boutique JP-08 and JU-06 and the sound is great, but some VST's come pretty close, and VSTs / Rack Extensions are way better when it comes to workflow.'

Your second statement means REs/VSTs less 'better' regarding performance control... given there is minimal to NO control.
And, according to you, REs/VSTs only 'come pretty close'

raymondh wrote:
10 Sep 2017

O1B

16 Oct 2017

I concur wholeheartedly with your analysis!

I must say, I returned the D-05. It needs a ..FaderBank...a la this mock-up:
without it, access to sound modification parameters is toooo tedious... for me.

replaced with the....
Analog 4 MK2 with Overbridge (at least OB on for the A4 - not the Digitakt, yet) .

Easy one.
raymondh wrote:
06 Oct 2017
I'll try and clarify my view here. Of course just my opinion experience;

Sound: - I think the Roland Boutiques sound better that VST/RE emulations. Still not as good as the original hardware
Workflow for programming/sound design: The 'hardwired layout' of the controls of the Boutique, while being small, are still more tactile/immediate than either (1) mouse or (2) generic control surface

Workflow for arranging/recording: Soft synth = sound patch saved with song, multiple concurrent instances, don't need a separate track to record/capture the audio back from the hardware, don't need to compensate for MIDI/recording latency.

Context;
- I never play live, only work in studio.

Torranium

20 Feb 2018

Can someone tell me how to set the d 05 up with reason. I have installed the roland driver, so it appears in the external midi instrument. And it works in a way that i can send notes from reason, hand hear it in my headphones connected to the D 05.

But i cant monitor it inside reason. I have seen videos wich use an audio-chanel but that doesnt work. I simply connected the D 05 via an USB-Cable. As far as i know the D 05 can give audio and midi through the usb. What i´m doing wrong ?

I´m working on a Mac with OSX 10.10.

If someone knows how it works, please explain it to me in a step by step way. Just like you would like to tell it to child.

Greets from Germany
Torranium

raymondh

21 Feb 2018

Torranium wrote:
20 Feb 2018
Can someone tell me how to set the d 05 up with reason. I have installed the roland driver, so it appears in the external midi instrument. And it works in a way that i can send notes from reason, hand hear it in my headphones connected to the D 05.

But i cant monitor it inside reason. I have seen videos wich use an audio-chanel but that doesnt work. I simply connected the D 05 via an USB-Cable. As far as i know the D 05 can give audio and midi through the usb. What i´m doing wrong ?

I´m working on a Mac with OSX 10.10.

If someone knows how it works, please explain it to me in a step by step way. Just like you would like to tell it to child.

Greets from Germany
Torranium
When you create the audio channel, you'll need to;
- select the appropriate audio input from your audio interface
- click on the little speaker icon (so it highlight's green) on the audio channel so it plays what it's hearing (so to speak).

If that doesn't work then there is something wrong with the audio flow.
Are you now using your Boutique as your Digital Audio Interface or do you have a separate Audio Interface?
I don't use audio over USB for my Boutiques, I use the analog audio output from the synths into the line inputs of the audio interface.

Torranium

21 Feb 2018

I have another Audio Interface in use, a Roland rubix 2.
And simply put the Output cable of the d 05 in the 2 Input. On that way it works. I figured out that i have to Click the Green speaker Icon. But i figured it out after i took the rubix in use. I will try that without it.

Is there a way to get the Sound of the d 05 into the exported Song, without Recording it to the Audio-Channel ?

raymondh

25 Feb 2018

Torranium wrote:
21 Feb 2018
I have another Audio Interface in use, a Roland rubix 2.
And simply put the Output cable of the d 05 in the 2 Input. On that way it works. I figured out that i have to Click the Green speaker Icon. But i figured it out after i took the rubix in use. I will try that without it.

Is there a way to get the Sound of the d 05 into the exported Song, without Recording it to the Audio-Channel ?
No

Torranium

26 Feb 2018

I figured out that the solution with the green Button, you told me, also works on USB-Cable only. The pegel is very low but clear. I Took aTube-Amp RE and took it in the send/return effects chanel of the audiochannel. That sounds really cool. I made a copy of the pads and recorded it with the D-05, and took it as a second layer for those pads. And that was a real wow Effekt for me.

Greets
Torranium

Sedan Love

19 Mar 2018

I don't have any of the Boutique series but have been looking at them. I found this site on the web, and the author of the editors told me a few days ago that he will be working on a D-05 editor this summer. There are others out there I believe.
if you scroll down there are a couple of videos.

https://jp-08remote.jimdo.com/

raymondh

12 Dec 2018

Resurrecting this old thread, I changed my position and I'm awaiting delivery of my new D-05!

Primarily because I wanted a new compact hardware synth to spend birthday gift money, and something I could keep. Software is definitely more productive than the workflow of recording a single hardware instance, so we will see how much this gets used as opposed to sitting on the desk for nostalgia purposes!

eusti

12 Dec 2018

raymondh wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Resurrecting this old thread, I changed my position and I'm awaiting delivery of my new D-05!

Primarily because I wanted a new compact hardware synth to spend birthday gift money, and something I could keep. Software is definitely more productive than the workflow of recording a single hardware instance, so we will see how much this gets used as opposed to sitting on the desk for nostalgia purposes!
I wasn't too keen on the idea before either, but my friend I'm doing this project with has a D-50 and I was quite impressed with some of those sounds... Pretty fitting for what we're doing... So it made sense to get the D-05 to be able to continue the project as we live quite some distance apart...

D.

• Information