New Komplete Kontrol S MK2!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
QVprod

07 Sep 2017

Probably wont be much use in Reason, but this looks impressive!

O1B

07 Sep 2017

umm...

PAD, KEY, CHORD, STEP.
Dedicated Note REPEAT button... it's 'uge.
Go Crazy LOCK mode... a la Elektron Digitakt.

2 extra-large, high-resolution color displays
1 dual-touch Smart Strip
1 four-directional push encoder
96 kHz / 24-bit built-in audio interface
USB 2.0, 3.0
2 x ¼” TRS line outputs, 2 x ¼” TRS line inputs
¼” mic input for use with a dynamic microphone

did we forget the Maschine MK3????

1/2 the Price if Studio... more than Studio EVER was...

$599... bye, old MK2, it's been real.... but, i won't fight the integration any longer....
MK3 preordered.

Love that Keyboard, though.... good to know NI is all updated for the future, Today.
- well, except for the Next S4/S5... an S6 with screens, disks, and strips..

O1B

07 Sep 2017

Can't find any info on Audio Port/Interface capabilities of the new Komplete Kontrols...
Just MIDI IN/Thru and 1/2 expression ports... ?
pity... it could've used a mic.

Maschine MK3 makes NI Komplete a proper Sound Module.
so nice.

fieldframe
RE Developer

07 Sep 2017

This is basically the hardware part of my dream Reason keyboard. (Seriously, I was sketching out a keyboard with encoders below a wide LCD screen and buttons on top just a few months ago.)

Software-wise, maybe we'll see what RetouchControl does with this, but it will unfortunately be limited by the constraints of the Remote protocol. If Propellerhead were to work with NI on this, though... The potential is huge.

Imagine scrolling through Reason's devices window just like they scroll through Komplete products, including all your REs and VSTs. Imagine editing synth parameters with the whole screen turning green with a Malström logo in the corner, or gray with a Thor logo. Imagine jumping through the entire channel strip, with all the controls clearly indicated (sends are all green, EQ has orange/black/blue/green/red, etc). Imagine the mixer with all channel colors mirrored so you know exactly which one you're selecting at a glance. And that's just the basics... With high-res screens and USB, there is a ton more you could do.

O1B

07 Sep 2017

Nektar meets Propellerhead meets NI... sounds good to me

Seems like it should've happened already...
Maschine MK3 format ... but by Props... w/ a few side modules (Step sequencer, REcorder/Sampler, patchbay)

... say... 2024?
fieldframe wrote:
07 Sep 2017
This is basically the hardware part of my dream Reason keyboard. (Seriously, I was sketching out a keyboard with encoders below a wide LCD screen and buttons on top just a few months ago.)

Software-wise, maybe we'll see what RetouchControl does with this, but it will unfortunately be limited by the constraints of the Remote protocol. If Propellerhead were to work with NI on this, though... The potential is huge.

Imagine scrolling through Reason's devices window just like they scroll through Komplete products, including all your REs and VSTs. Imagine editing synth parameters with the whole screen turning green with a Malström logo in the corner, or gray with a Thor logo. Imagine jumping through the entire channel strip, with all the controls clearly indicated (sends are all green, EQ has orange/black/blue/green/red, etc). Imagine the mixer with all channel colors mirrored so you know exactly which one you're selecting at a glance. And that's just the basics... With high-res screens and USB, there is a ton more you could do.

QVprod

07 Sep 2017

O1B wrote:
07 Sep 2017
umm...

PAD, KEY, CHORD, STEP.
Dedicated Note REPEAT button... it's 'uge.
Go Crazy LOCK mode... a la Elektron Digitakt.

2 extra-large, high-resolution color displays
1 dual-touch Smart Strip
96 kHz / 24-bit built-in audio interface
USB 2.0, 3.0
2 x ¼” TRS line outputs, 2 x ¼” TRS line inputs
¼” mic input for use with a dynamic microphone

did we forget the Maschine MK3????
Haha. I didn't forget. Machine has never appealed to me. For me DAW sequencers do everything I need them to do. The built in audio interface is a cool addition though. It'd be cool if it was also on the Komplete Kontrol S but I think the days of midi controllers having those are long gone. I guess the Novation X Station, and old CME controllers didn't do well enough for there to be market interest in it. Seems only the big 3 rompler companies (Yamaha, Korg, Roland) are including it with their keyboards. It would be SO convenient though!
fieldframe wrote:
07 Sep 2017

Would definitely be amazing. Of course there are limitations with Remote, but the Nektar Panoramas control Reason in ways no controller ever did before. Imagine what this could do if it was programmed to run Reason!

I'll admit though..... even without Reason integration I may very well sell my P6 to get this... So long as it works decently enough with Studio One of course...flexibility with Mainstage would be a plus as well...

Hauser+Quaid

07 Sep 2017

Been thinking about getting a KK for a while but never pulled the trigger. Still a tough call since I do have a Maschine, but this version really does raise the stakes. Paired with the Panorama P1 this could be heavy. I'm all about speed and the few simple additions for the same price as the old KKs (I think) make this really tough to say no to.

O1B

08 Sep 2017

Shipping is Mid October, so you have time. (but, Im not waiting to pre-order)
The Maschine video is cool, but the juicy info is in that KK video. I had to watch it twice.

If I haven't said so already, this new Maschine MK3 makes Komplete a Formidable Sound Mod
With an outboard mixer - the sky is the limit .

To join that league, IMO,
Reason NEEDS Hardware integration like this INHOUSE (keys, and pads)
Hauser+Quaid wrote:
07 Sep 2017
Been thinking about getting a KK for a while but never pulled the trigger. Still a tough call since I do have a Maschine, but this version really does raise the stakes. Paired with the Panorama P1 this could be heavy. I'm all about speed and the few simple additions for the same price as the old KKs (I think) make this really tough to say no to.
Last edited by O1B on 09 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

fieldframe
RE Developer

08 Sep 2017

O1B wrote:
08 Sep 2017
While you're right, Propellerhead really does need first-party hardware to compete at this level, the problem as I understand it is they just aren't that size. Ableton is a company of 200+; NI is over 450. It's hard to find exact numbers but it looks like Propellerhead is under 100.

And I imagine they're still wary of another first-party hardware project after Balance. But they may not need to go there anyway: See my above post about the potential of a first-party, software-only collaboration to get KK MK2 playing with Reason. For much less than the investment of building their own hardware, Propellerhead could work with NI to make Komplete Kontrol the ultimate Reason keyboard.

Ahornberg

09 Sep 2017

O1B wrote:
07 Sep 2017
ha ha, they bring back in the joystick claiming this should provide a better workflow than using a mouse

O1B

09 Sep 2017

- allows shifting one field to the left or right only, or 1 bank shift... (a mouse isn't so useful there.)
then a nice soft click to engage.

beats dedicated arrow buttons regarding workflow

What's the complaint exactly? - besides the 'encoder' not being a 'mouse'?
Are you really complaining about the 'encoder'?

If there was a dedicated midi joystick - rather than hack jobs - I'd be real interested in using one for some rapid fire hits.
Mousing video games doesn't sound like much fun at all.
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Sep 2017
O1B wrote:
07 Sep 2017
ha ha, they bring back in the joystick claiming this should provide a better workflow than using a mouse

miscend

09 Sep 2017

Propellerheads said they will never do hardware again after Balance. So it's just wishful thinking.

Miss Controllerism

09 Sep 2017

fieldframe wrote:
08 Sep 2017
O1B wrote:
08 Sep 2017
While you're right, Propellerhead really does need first-party hardware to compete at this level, the problem as I understand it is they just aren't that size. Ableton is a company of 200+; NI is over 450. It's hard to find exact numbers but it looks like Propellerhead is under 100.

And I imagine they're still wary of another first-party hardware project after Balance. But they may not need to go there anyway: See my above post about the potential of a first-party, software-only collaboration to get KK MK2 playing with Reason. For much less than the investment of building their own hardware, Propellerhead could work with NI to make Komplete Kontrol the ultimate Reason keyboard.

Sorry to compete with Who? Native instruments? ahahaha Native instruments its a kolossus.its completely a buiggest company than propellerhead they do a lot of product.s..

O1B

10 Sep 2017

Soundwise, Reason delivers...

NI - X1, Z1, F1, S2 4 5 8, D2... and that's just Traktor.
Props... Balance...
Just PUSH one Controller... allz I'm askin.
Miss Controllerism wrote:
09 Sep 2017
fieldframe wrote:
08 Sep 2017

Sorry to compete with Who? Native instruments? ahahaha Native instruments its a kolossus.its completely a buiggest company than propellerhead they do a lot of product.s..

Emian

13 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:Propellerheads said they will never do hardware again after Balance. So it's just wishful thinking.
They also once said they'd never support VST...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FEVER met Tapatalk

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

PeterP

14 Sep 2017

It would be great if Propellerheads worked with NI to get the DAW centric features working, but a more realistic thing would be for NI to improve the existing MCU support.

I use the MK1 with Reason today and the "transport" section and the interaction with the KompleteKontrol VSTs on different tracks works but not much else. Can't switch active track etc.

QVprod

14 Sep 2017

PeterP wrote:
14 Sep 2017
It would be great if Propellerheads worked with NI to get the DAW centric features working, but a more realistic thing would be for NI to improve the existing MCU support.

I use the MK1 with Reason today and the "transport" section and the interaction with the KompleteKontrol VSTs on different tracks works but not much else. Can't switch active track etc.
From what I understand that's how the mk1 works in most DAWs. Transport and Komplete Kontrol instances with not much else. From what's been shown in the videos, that's been completely upgraded in the mk2 to be able to switch tracks and control mixer levels.

O1B

18 Sep 2017

Shipping October 5th. Ebay those Studios!! Mk2 is moving for $200.

• Information