ART Studio PreAmp - Tube Trouble?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
pushedbutton

04 Sep 2017

I just had an ebay punt on an ART Studio 3 Preamp.
I knew it was sold as untested by a charity and I got it for cheaps so I ain't salty about it but..
When I wired it up it turned on, it has a nice bright VU meter on it and the led works.
I've plugged in my Shure SM48 and the only way I can get a similar level to not bothering with a preamp at all is by cranking the input and output knob right up, this introduces a lot of noise to the signal.
So I've concluded that the tube is Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo'ed.
Another thing I wasn't expecting is that the VU meter doesn't seem to do much but that might be a symptom of the tube not working.
I did briefly get some feedback from it but on the whole the signal has been too weak to be useable.Before I throw some more money at this project can anyone with experience of tube preamps confirm that this is the most likely issue with this thing?
Cheers.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2017

Maybe replace the tube? They are like 10 dollars :)

pushedbutton

04 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
04 Sep 2017
Maybe replace the tube? They are like 10 dollars :)
Well yeah, that's the plan, but I was looking for confirmation that it will fix it based on the symptoms I'm experiencing.
If it's more than likely to solve the problem I'll spend a bit more on a replacement, if it's a flip of a coin I'll look for a cheap one.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

ejanuska

05 Sep 2017

I have a Art Tube MP. It is shit and noisy. It was given to me

pushedbutton

05 Sep 2017

ejanuska wrote:
05 Sep 2017
I have a Art Tube MP. It is shit and noisy. It was given to me
But are the overall levels higher when you crank it? In my case it isn't. I have to turn everything up to full just to get to signal to pass through at the same level i started with.

ejanuska

05 Sep 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
05 Sep 2017

But are the overall levels higher when you crank it? In my case it isn't. I have to turn everything up to full just to get to signal to pass through at the same level i started with.
It got louder, no doubt. the MP3 has a +20dB switch on it that really amplified the input. Even without using the +20dB it still has some gain.
But it was really noisy with no input. I can live with a little noise, it was just too much.

I would try a new tube if you have one laying around, borrow one from a tube amp if the guitar player steps out. I wouldn't invest much else in it.

Keep it away from other electronic noisy things like computers, cell phones, hair blowers, motor generators, wind turbines, you know those kinds of things laying around the typical home studio.

pushedbutton

09 Sep 2017

OK So I got a new tube.
The VU meter still doesn't move
The signal is still stronger without the preamp in the path.
It's borked.

pushedbutton

09 Sep 2017

Update.
a ribbon cable was loose, now it's snapped off.
at least I know what was wrong with it. It'll need soldering if I bother to get it fixed.
These things are shit, don't bother.

O1B

10 Sep 2017

I was rooting for you, but the end result seemed a forgone conclusion.

Art stepped it up recently.. Give it a Look.
might upgrade my iRig Mix if those EQ curves work.

Cheers
pushedbutton wrote:
09 Sep 2017
Update.
a ribbon cable was loose, now it's snapped off.
at least I know what was wrong with it. It'll need soldering if I bother to get it fixed.
These things are shit, don't bother.

pushedbutton

10 Sep 2017

That does looks pretty.
As I was doing my research I found a lot of people saying they had a wide range of products ranging from high end perfection to utter shite.

O1B

10 Sep 2017

The two I know of are Stellar. I own this one: Art 231. It's rides on proper rails. I assure you. FeedBack Detection.
My only problem is I need two as I monitor my System with the one I have now (via Mixer)

The other is the Compressor ART Pro-VLA II... I just had to do my research on the proper upgrade a la LA 2A.
Vactrol Opto-Compression Design (no VCA)
Mastering-Quality Audio Signal Path with Tube Gain Stage
Image\
Stereo Link is HUGE. 5 STAR Reviews on Sweetwater says this is a Hit

This new Mixer/Interface may give me the Tube Staging I need,... as the VLA upgrade is $750 for stella tubes.
pushedbutton wrote:
10 Sep 2017
That does looks pretty.
As I was doing my research I found a lot of people saying they had a wide range of products ranging from high end perfection to utter shite.

drloop

01 Oct 2017

I have used a Art Tube MP for many years. Great product, I have no problem with noise, I have used for tracking vocals, guitar and bass. I have also Focusrite preamps but I still use the Art Tube MP.

• Information