Roland TR-08, SH-01A ...YES!!! .. and.. SP-404A

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

08 Aug 2017

The TR-08 offers 10-channel audio via USB, trigger out and can run on batteries.

Mine.
Too Good to be True:
Ultra-compact recreation of the legendary TR-808 drum machine
Retains the sound, character, and user interface of the original TR-808
Hands-on control including tone, level, tuning, and decay
Added Compressor, Gain, Tune, and Pan for selected instruments
Programmable via classic Step and Tap write modes
Sequencer has 16 steps with 16 sub-steps for detailed patterns and rolls
Continue playing beats even while switching between write modes
LED display for easier navigation and fine control of tempo and shuffle
Ten separate outputs via USB audio
Dedicated, track-selectable trigger output for controlling external instruments
High-quality construction with metal front panel
Highly portable for mobile music making
Includes DK-01 Boutique Dock for multiple-angle viewing
Battery-operated (4 x AA) or USB powered
Built-in powered mini-speaker for instant enjoyment
Compatible with optional Roland Boutique accessories
Quick Post. I have some reading to do.

and that BASS:Image

QVprod

08 Aug 2017

I'm curious as to the differences between the TR-08 and the TR-8 other than size. I would never buy either but at first glance I can't see much of a difference other than the TR-8 also having 909 samples.

joeyluck

08 Aug 2017

Well the layout is certainly different. The TR-8 is not very reminiscent of the TR-808 in terms of design. This looks great! Looks easier to get around for someone more accustomed to the TR-808. And it runs on batteries and has built-in speakers. Of course, you probably won't hear those lows in whatever speakers are built-in, but I am a fan of portable gadgets and the ability to jam anywhere :thumbs_up: Could also probably make a nice controller.

Now if only it were analog... But still probably sounds great.

O1B

08 Aug 2017

Analog warmth is King. I agree. But, digital control is best.
And, Digital Sounds can easily be heated, with proper equipment.

The TR-8 is fun to play, but the TR-08 gives me the 808 for production on the road.
That, I need. Plus, it looks like Fire.
joeyluck wrote:
08 Aug 2017
Well the layout is certainly different. The TR-8 is not very reminiscent of the TR-808 in terms of design. This looks great! Looks easier to get around for someone more accustomed to the TR-808. And it runs on batteries and has built-in speakers. Of course, you probably won't hear those lows in whatever speakers are built-in, but I am a fan of portable gadgets and the ability to jam anywhere :thumbs_up: Could also probably make a nice controller.

Now if only it were analog... But still probably sounds great.

Gorgon

09 Aug 2017

The TR-08 will not have individual outputs (just like the TR-09), which makes it a toy, in my opinion.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

joeyluck

09 Aug 2017

Gorgon wrote:
09 Aug 2017
The TR-08 will not have individual outputs (just like the TR-09), which makes it a toy, in my opinion.
But it does have 10 separate audio outputs over USB

O1B

09 Aug 2017

- for what it's worth, I agree... The Boutiques are Great Production-Ready Toys.

Now... What Drum machine do you forget to mention that you use? And, how many outs does it have?
"Toy" posts like this are comical, Gorgon...

Enquiring minds want to know what Drum Machine you use on your "Professional" mixes?
make an effort to answer now.
Gorgon wrote:
09 Aug 2017

Gorgon

09 Aug 2017

O1B wrote:
09 Aug 2017
- for what it's worth, I agree... The Boutiques are Great Production-Ready Toys.

Now... What Drum machine do you forget to mention that you use? And, how many outs does it have?
Kong has multiple outs. Redrum has multiple outs. My W30 has multiple outs. Anything else?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

BonsaiMacKay

09 Aug 2017

True, I confirm the Roland W30 has 8 outputs, while the Roland TR-08 offers only 10 outputs over USB audio.

O1B

09 Aug 2017

KONG? ReDRUM?
What are you even doing in Hardware and Other Software
W-30... "primitive by modern standards" ...but it used to be a gem, i hear.

are you using a scuzzy to cut down on load times, or are you just using a floppy disk?
Condolences on the Read/Write speeds
i remember playing drums from piano keys... i dont remember it being loads of fun, though..

..not to late to trade it in for a TR-08... you can get $2-300 for it over at Reverb.

Here I am, thinking the System80 was for you, http://system80.net
but, you're probably more like the i808, huh?

All love, Gorgon. Now, back to the Propellerhead General forum with you.
Gorgon wrote:
09 Aug 2017
O1B wrote:
09 Aug 2017

Kong has multiple outs. Redrum has multiple outs. My W30 has multiple outs. Anything else?

Gorgon

10 Aug 2017

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
09 Aug 2017
True, I confirm the Roland W30 has 8 outputs, while the Roland TR-08 offers only 10 outputs over USB audio.
Ah, ten. I thought it had 4, like the TR-09. So they do listen to the users I guess. Still a toy though, with those tiny tiny knobs.

BonsaiMacKay

10 Aug 2017

Well, apart from being closer to each other, given the unit's compact size, the knobs are only slightly smaller than the original 808 knobs, which were incredibly small for the unit's size.
Gorgon wrote:
10 Aug 2017
BonsaiMacKay wrote:
09 Aug 2017
Ah, ten. I thought it had 4, like the TR-09. So they do listen to the users I guess. Still a toy though, with those tiny tiny knobs.

Gorgon

10 Aug 2017

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
10 Aug 2017
Well, apart from being closer to each other, given the unit's compact size, the knobs are only slightly smaller than the original 808 knobs, which were incredibly small for the unit's size.
So you could turn them easily because you could fit your fingers between and around them. Not so with the TR-08. I've seen the TR-09 and it's way too small. TR-08 will probably be the exact same size (as is the TB-03).

BonsaiMacKay

10 Aug 2017

Still too small on the original units given the space between them, I love the 808, but always hated the knobs. No one makes knobs like Moog.
Gorgon wrote:
10 Aug 2017
BonsaiMacKay wrote:
10 Aug 2017
So you could turn them easily because you could fit your fingers between and around them. Not so with the TR-08. I've seen the TR-09 and it's way too small. TR-08 will probably be the exact same size (as is the TB-03).
Attachments
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG (130.62 KiB) Viewed 5152 times

AttenuationHz

10 Aug 2017

Yeah have to agree with the size comments. The original size is the same but there was more room to rest your tweezers or fingers/hand while turning on the original. The pattern buttons are stupid small you would have to grow a point on your nail just to quickly press buttons I feel.

On the output thing if anyone has not thought of it already. There should be a usb to audio out converter box made, it would be pretty easy to make if you can solder. Something smaller than this with a mini usb thru maybe and jack outputs ;) Would be a nice project to work on if you are that way inclined.

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

11 Aug 2017

What's the deal with the midi integration on the tr-08. Would you be able to use the step sequencer to control a Kong or more appropriately any of the 808 emulation RE's. If it is not officially supported in DAW's is there room there for a lua codec to be written for it?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

O1B

13 Aug 2017

It's too sm - yeah, "that's what she said."

But, somehow the Volca's are 'standard size.' And Guitar Pedal Knobs are "playable"
The TR-09, TB-03, TR-08 are proper size. Change the knobs if you want a different "grip".. easy to do.

Moogers do have the ;best' knobs, IMO.... and space between them - as does Frostwave, and a few others.
They're huge, but great sound is worth the space.

Any of you big handed, analog heads wanna guess which is the TR-03 vs the TR-303?

Bet. You. Can't.

O1B

13 Aug 2017

Test 1/Pattern 2 sounds like it has a speech impediment. that last durrrrr... is a might off key.

:lol: I'm betting that's the Real One. :lol:
I wonder what BASS AMP was used to play the TB-303 through... (I missed it, if it was stated)
TB-03 needs no such HELP.

IMHO, The TB-3 Blows more Image

Happy Sunday!

BonsaiMacKay

13 Aug 2017

Hmm... to my aged ears, it is:
TB 303
TB 03
TB 03
TB 303
I may be totally off but that's what I think. In my defence, I haven't tested the TB 03 extensively.

joeyluck

13 Aug 2017

O1B wrote:
13 Aug 2017

But, somehow the Volca's are 'standard size.'
Korg and Tatsuya knocked it out of the park with the Volcas. Can't recommend them enough. I only own the Volca Bass. But it's design, sound, and price are very hard to beat. I feel like maybe Roland was trying to get into a similar market with the Boutiques? But The Korg Volcas are analog, lower cost, and better design in my opinion. They made the units feature packed, more compact, simple, and easy to use. There are some small Monotron knobs (I'm also a fan of the Monotrons). But they only make up a few knobs and are spaced nicely (you're not dealing with rows of knobs on top of each other). I've never had an issue.

O1B

14 Aug 2017

Sadly, your consensus falls out of the 'mainstream'
but consider your answer, and the ultimate question: Which sounded BETTER?

Clearly, T1, P2 has the STRONGER LOWER END... (recheck)...
if as you say, T1,P2 is the TB-03, then ... wow! ACB has more low end....??

NOT Likely, Friend.
It is MORE likely that the LOW END is OWNED by the TB-303 - which brings us to "which SOUNDS better?"
Again, T1, P2 is a sputtery, gaspy, wheezy mess - where as
T1, P1 is EVENLY Tight from HIGH end to LOW.... (recheck) - as would be expected from Digital Control.

so... is the TB-03 T1, P2.... well... Then it has the BETTER LOW END... ( again, unlikely)
It is more likely that the TB-303 is T1,P2 --- giving it the LOW END prize, and the OLD MAN gasps and Sputter.

Recheck T2, P1 and P2...I think you'll have to reach the same conclusion there too, unless you're trying to fulfill your own prophecy.

Cheers! Enjoy the TB-03.

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
13 Aug 2017
Hmm... to my aged ears, it is:
TB 303
TB 03
TB 03
TB 303
I may be totally off but that's what I think. In my defence, I haven't tested the TB 03 extensively.
Saying you didn't FINISH your homework is not a Reasonable DEFENSE to Failing a Test, young Padawan.
Last edited by O1B on 14 Aug 2017, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

14 Aug 2017

I see you didn't even bother to TRY to answer the TB-03 vs TB-303, blind test, JL.. I guess you're above it.

Anyways, I think you can agree that you are hardly in a position to endorse VOLCAsss with j-j-j-just the BASS?
and no experience (to speak of) with a Boutique.
I have had all 5. KICK, FM, SAMPLER, BASS, and BEATS..

Beats is Garbage.. at least that crippled snare is:
lol his look of disappointment with the snare is f*ckin hilarious

Basically korg f*cked up and forgot to include a 104 capacitor on a part of the board labeled c78. Since the board is extremely small and soldering to SMD is extremely difficult, there is some mixed advice circulating here about whether it is worth the risk of doing.

BASS has an errant key click popping noise when the attack is engaged that CAN NOT be gotten rid of. ("You get what you pay for.")
BASS and BEATS were TESTED and RETURNED... Damned if Im going to MOD boxes that only give me 4 bars anyway.

There are countless thread on the NOISE of the Volca if used for Production. (Google: "Noisy" "Volca" - from reddit to gearslutz)

I respectfully caution you about giving uninformed advice. Limit it to your own experiences - like with the Volca BASS.
Design - 10. Yes. Price - 10. Yes. Your Driving Factor, it seems.
SOUND - Noisy, Crippled, and Lacking would be more Honest.

I await your answers to the TB-303 vs the TB-03 Blind test.
And, I welcome any criticism of the Boutiques you may have - but, I grow weary of the "ACB vs Analog" snobbery. Take the Test.

Major, major KORG fan here - but, wholesale bandwagon jumper, I am not.
joeyluck wrote:
13 Aug 2017
O1B wrote:
13 Aug 2017

But, somehow the Volca's are 'standard size.'
Korg and Tatsuya knocked it out of the park with the Volcas. Can't recommend them enough. I only own the Volca Bass. But it's design, sound, and price are very hard to beat. I feel like maybe Roland was trying to get into a similar market with the Boutiques? But The Korg Volcas are analog, lower cost, and better design in my opinion. They made the units feature packed, more compact, simple, and easy to use. There are some small Monotron knobs (I'm also a fan of the Monotrons). But they only make up a few knobs and are spaced nicely (you're not dealing with rows of knobs on top of each other). I've never had an issue.

joeyluck

14 Aug 2017

O1B wrote:
14 Aug 2017
I see you didn't even bother to TRY to answer the TB-03 vs TB-303, blind test, JL.. I guess you're above it.

Anyways, I think you can agree that you are hardly in a position to endorse VOLCAsss with j-j-j-just the BASS?
and no experience (to speak of) with a Boutique.
I have had all 5. KICK, FM, SAMPLER, BASS, and BEATS..

Beats is Garbage.. at least that crippled snare is:
lol his look of disappointment with the snare is f*ckin hilarious
Basically korg f*cked up and forgot to include a 104 capacitor on a part of the board labeled c78. Since the board is extremely small and soldering to SMD is extremely difficult, there is some mixed advice circulating here about whether it is worth the risk of doing.

BASS has an errant key click popping noise when the attack is engaged that CAN NOT be gotten rid of. ("You get what you pay for.")
BASS and BEATS were TESTED and RETURNED... Damned if Im going to MOD boxes that only give me 4 bars anyway.

There are countless thread on the NOISE of the Volca if used for Production. (Google: "Noisy" "Volca" - from reddit to gearslutz)

I respectfully caution you about giving uninformed advice. Limit it to your own experiences - like with the Volca BASS.
Design - 10. Yes. Price - 10. Yes. Your Driving Factor, it seems.
SOUND - Noisy, Crippled, and Lacking would be more Honest.

I await your answers to the TB-303 vs the TB-03 Blind test.
And, I welcome any criticism of the Boutiques you may have - but, I grow weary of the "ACB vs Analog" snobbery. Take the Test.

Major, major KORG fan here - but, wholesale bandwagon jumper, I am not.
joeyluck wrote:
13 Aug 2017

I have no issues with the sound in my Volca Bass. Yes, it's the only one I own, but I've played the crap out of the others. Not only in the store all day long before I finally decided on the Volca Bass, but my friends own the others and we get together like Voltron :cool:

1383044_10153333394300440_1372867683_n.jpg
1383044_10153333394300440_1372867683_n.jpg (300.82 KiB) Viewed 4961 times

Sorry I didn't take the test. Just wasn't interested and couldn't listen at the time. But I have no interest in the TB-03 Boutique. ABL3 does the job for me. So yes, digital can certainly do well enough for me. And just to be clear, I never wanted my Volca Bass to be a 303. I use it for it's uniqueness and strengths. I really like the filter (from minikorg 700s).

My point is that if I'm going to get a fun hardware gadget, I want it to be unique to the software I run on my computer. I am very portable with my MacBook Air. So, when I buy hardware now, I usually sway towards analog stuff just because that's something I can't have on my computer. For 303, ABL3 does the job incredibly well and it's everywhere with me on my little MacBook Air. Although I did find the TB-03 to look very appealing and considered trying to use it as a controller. But I mostly use ABL3's step record via MIDI keyboard and the advanced random mode to generate patterns and then edit them, so I'm actually using the classic interface less now.

joeyluck

14 Aug 2017

01B, I had heard of people not liking the snare on the Beats. And I believe them. I think it's alright. Not the best. It's not an 808. I started watching that video, but I guess the funnier thing is that he doesn't know how to use it haha.

He's adjusting the time on the stutter with the depth down and expecting to hear a difference in the sound of the snare? Why is he even messing with the stutter? With the depth down? Why do we care first about the stutter? I stopped watching after that sorry. 5 minutes into the video I watched...

Marco Raaphorst

14 Aug 2017

Some told me it's not as good as old 808. So cheapest choice: use the samples. R9 includes many great 808 samples.

The TR-08 is sample based... go figure...

• Information