New pc build...some opinions would be awesome

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Faxxer

05 Aug 2017

Hi friends...

I've only used AMD cpu's in the past but a friend wants to build an Intel rig for Reason (and protools) Talking about PC here, not mac.

Does the new Reason build really take good advantage of the more cores? For example, if money was really no issue would a 6 or 8 core Intel chip really shine over a quad core?

One other thing I'm curious about... I still run windows 7 for my reason and love it..it's stable. Has anyone who upgraded to windows 10 had any complaints?

I'd love to hear some build specs of pc's used just for DAW use.

(p.s. this project is for January of next year so no rush lol)
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

Faxxer

05 Aug 2017

p.s. The guy really does have no limit to budget constraints....so this is kinda cool
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

gak

06 Aug 2017

Well, and this is from the props, not me, they DO NOT use hyperthreading but allegedly they do take advantage of multi cores. (please don't shoot the messenger)

Therefore, the more "real" cores you have, the better reason should perform. Seems easy, eh? :lol:

I'm looking into ryzen right now. Why? Because it's 8 (or soon even more) cores and they seem to be ironing out the deficiencies. The price point is good, and you can overclock it.

I WOULD NOT under any circumstances go under 6 physical cores with reason. There is a thread on performance that shows what some of the lesser CPU's do (including mine) and how limited they are. Don't have a link, but you can probably find it (it's a HUGE stress on the CPU, the test that is)

Faxxer

06 Aug 2017

I was thinking 8 cores for the intel i7....it's a GRAND, but...it's 8 cores lol

AttenuationHz

06 Aug 2017

Generally speaking build for the way you thought how Reason without Hyper threading would have been built!

If you go for 4 core i7 with 8 threaded don't be under the illusion that having hyper threading will give you a performance boost. It will but only to a certain extent.
If you build for an 8 core with 8 threads then you have already doubled your resources! Before even turning on hyper threading or installing Reason for that matter.

I would probably hold out for the X series chips due to be released in October I think then decide what to do myself! The i9's price guessing is pretty daunting. Official clock speeds or price has not been announced!

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Faxxer

06 Aug 2017

Ty AttenuationHZ....

I totally agree with the X series i9's being the superior chips.... But I'm a little bit worried about motherboard stability and drivers being so new a chip....I'm so torn lol

But the good news is...there is no rush as the guy's project is starting Jan 2nd....lots of time to see the market move

gak

12 Aug 2017

Again, considering what that "benchmark" here is (and it's brutal) you should be able to get some idea.

Ryzen has me cautiously optimistic and I'd NEVER go below a 6 physical core intel in this day and age (which should for an i7 be relatively cost effective)

And then you should be close if not absolutely golden.

Steedus
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2017

Thinking about getting a branded/pre-built PC with one of the new i7 7820X CPUs (8C, 16T) and was wondering if anyone has had any real-world experience with them yet?

AttenuationHz

15 Sep 2017

Still waiting on others to try it myself :P ;)
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

michael.jaye

15 Nov 2017

I'm thinking of getting this:
http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-8930-deskt ... 11~10P64EA

I wish there was a thread (sticky) with buying guides & builds for Windows machines for Reason here . I know on the Prop's site they have the recommended system requirements, but having recommendations from users with everyday real-world experience would be great. Also any issues people have with particular setup configurations would help.

moalla

16 Nov 2017

So i tried today the complex Benchmark with my Ryzen1700 after updated Bios and gets with 20.3sec closer to the 6800k 24sec result in Win7 64 , but for the highest performance i don´t know how much more performance with an 16core Threadripper or egual Intel Cpu you will get, but with an Xeon E5 v3 14core the results seems more than 10 seconds better in complex benchmark test. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7501402&start=25

At the end, it must be nice to have a 16core Cpu with DDR4 3400mhz+ dual rank, so if your able to afford this, purchase it, otherwise
i think a 8Core AMD update with 16GB and motherboard costs around 600€ if you still own a old Graphiccard and Power Supply and SSD.
The newest I7 8700k isn´t available now it looks, and cost around 800€ including 16Gb Ram and Motherboard.

So it deppends on usage and power consumption at the end,
for example a 20core+ Cpu System gives you three times more power than
the newest single core PC, but needs also two-three times more of energy.

So this offer looks nice https://www.csl-computer.com/shop/produ ... 429&cPath=
and for music production you still needd only a Nvidia gt 1030 and 256gb nvme ssdd

nice regards
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Gorgon

17 Nov 2017

New expensive CPU. Lots of RAM (at least 16). SSD. Asus motherboard.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2017

I upgraded from a 4th gen i7 (4C/8T) to a current gen i7 7820X (8C/16T). An entirely new pre-built computer, PCI-e M.2 SSD, 32GB 2666MHz RAM. Spent just over $3000.

When my computer is not blue screening and rebooting when running Reason (it's happened 7 times), I am still getting the "Your computer is too slow" message ...

What a waste of money.

syncanonymous

19 Nov 2017

Steedus wrote:
18 Nov 2017
I upgraded from a 4th gen i7 (4C/8T) to a current gen i7 7820X (8C/16T). An entirely new pre-built computer, PCI-e M.2 SSD, 32GB 2666MHz RAM. Spent just over $3000.

When my computer is not blue screening and rebooting when running Reason (it's happened 7 times), I am still getting the "Your computer is too slow" message ...

What a waste of money.
Blue Screens sounds like a hardware problem. You only ever have blue screens when running Reason? No other progs blue screen?
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Steedus
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
19 Nov 2017
Steedus wrote:
18 Nov 2017

What a waste of money.
Blue Screens sounds like a hardware problem. You only ever have blue screens when running Reason? No other progs blue screen?
Worked out it was my DATA drive I brought over from the old computer. It's not an old drive though, and has been working perfectly fine.. It worked normally except when trying to load a Reason project from it on the new computer - old computer is fine). But after taking it out the blue screens stopped. I still get random audio glitches on playback though, and no perceivable performance boost in Reason at least..

devilfish

19 Nov 2017

Buy as many cores as you can ! ;)

dana

19 Nov 2017

The 5960x is great, i have two systems using it. The x99 platform is stable and fast with ddr4 memory.

It leaves room in the future to upgrade to the 6950x when it becomes cheaper :)

I personally wouldn't buy a xeon as they are not overclockable and don't have high single-threaded performance.

I personally wouldn't buy an amd as they are not good for low-latency high performance systems.

Gorgon

20 Nov 2017

Steedus wrote:
18 Nov 2017
Which motherboard did you get?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2017

I don't know, I ended up splurging and getting an Alienware Area 51. I know some people don't like Dell for audio but honestly I've been using Dell computers for the last 15 - 20 years exclusively (at home) and have been very happy with them. I'm not interested AT ALL interested in building my own. It did seem very powerful in pretty much every other aspect.. I probably only noticed MAX 5% performance increase (in Reason). I guess maybe Reason is just poorly optimised these days. I'm still new to 'modern' Reason, only recently upgrading from v6.5.

In any case, I've organised to return the computer.

Gorgon

20 Nov 2017

Steedus wrote:
20 Nov 2017
I don't know
That's really not the answer that you should give on the most important part of the computer.

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2017

I don't know what the motherboard is because it's just the custom one that comes with the computer. There's no option to change it. I'm not the sort of person who has the time or money to try out 10 different motherboards just to squeeze an extra 1% out of a system.

A friend of mine said I was crazy and should've built my own. That's what he did. I remember he spent weeks afterwards trouble shooting various glitches, software errors, downloading drivers, and then trying to get older drivers because the new ones clashed with some other part of the computer and had random reboots etc .. on and on.

AttenuationHz

20 Nov 2017

Steedus wrote:
20 Nov 2017
I don't know what the motherboard is because it's just the custom one that comes with the computer. There's no option to change it. I'm not the sort of person who has the time or money to try out 10 different motherboards just to squeeze an extra 1% out of a system.

A friend of mine said I was crazy and should've built my own. That's what he did. I remember he spent weeks afterwards trouble shooting various glitches, software errors, downloading drivers, and then trying to get older drivers because the new ones clashed with some other part of the computer and had random reboots etc .. on and on.
Teething problems! Everyone gets them. Took me 2 installs of windows to boot my yolk! Its the joys of building one you are responsible for it so you try to do it correct. The correct way is doing the research before hand!

It is irresponsible not knowing what components you are buying tbh. Just saying... Make it a lesson. Sucks you had to return but in fairness you have to know what you're buying. Which one? Anyone... doesn't do!

Gorgon

21 Nov 2017

Steedus wrote:
20 Nov 2017
That's not what this is about. Some board brands are just better than others. It could mean the difference between a great usable system and a shitty unusable one even if you outfitted both with exactly the same parts. You should always be aware of what kind of board you're using if you decide to build your own computer, or whenever you let someone or some company build one for you.

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2017

Fair enough. Just shocked that a computer with those specs didn't seem to make a difference with Reason (everything else was lightning fast btw). It's the most powerful computer I've ever used and Reason still felt like it was running on my 4.5 year old PC.

Aosta

21 Nov 2017

I'm running an old Bloomfield i7 920 oced to 2.79ghz and don't really have any issues running reason 9. Only had a few REs kill it but they were ones that were heavy and others had issues with also.
Only running on 12GB ram too with Win7 :o
Tend the flame

• Information