New pc build...some opinions would be awesome

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
michael.jaye

23 Nov 2017

Steedus wrote:Fair enough. Just shocked that a computer with those specs didn't seem to make a difference with Reason (everything else was lightning fast btw). It's the most powerful computer I've ever used and Reason still felt like it was running on my 4.5 year old PC.
So you have a Dell Alienware pc and you’re returning it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steedus
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2017

^ Yes.

michael.jaye

24 Nov 2017

Steedus wrote:
23 Nov 2017
^ Yes.
How intensive are your tracks? Are you using heaps of RE's? Asking because I was gonna get a Dell i7-8700 Processor PC w/ 16gb, looked good!

Oquasec

24 Nov 2017

For the price of alienware you could build a moderate sculpting rig lmao.

Don't spend money on a Desktop unless it has a minimum benchmark of 4000 these days
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2017

My tracks aren't intensive (to me). I do tend to use quite a few ART devices and Softube amps (these are WAY more intensive than the Line 6 amps). I sometimes use the iZotope Ozone Elements which is VERY intensive but only as a single mastering device. But I've had the "your computer's too slow" message even on demo tracks with fewer than 20 channels since upgrading from v6.5.

I have no interest in building my own computer. I will happily pay some company to do it for me, and provide support and warranty. And in this case, Dell is refunding me IN FULL, because the computer did not perform to my expectations.

Evidently I was silly thinking a computer with specs that greatly exceed the recommended specs of the software would provide a performance increase. I guess the single magic motherboard that's made to work with Reason exclusively could made a difference if I happen to find it among the millions that are available, but honestly if that's what's expected to get better performance in Reason maybe I should take EVERY single music based friend's advice and ditch this "TOY" program (as they call it).
Last edited by Steedus on 26 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Gorgon

25 Nov 2017

Steedus wrote:
25 Nov 2017
I have no interest in building my own computer. I will happily pay some company to do it for me, and provide support and warranty. And in this case, Dell is refunding me IN FULL, because the computer did not perform to my expectations.

Evidently I was silly thinking a computer with specs that greatly exceed the recommended specs of the software would provide a performance increase. I guess the single magic motherboard that's made to work with Reason exclusively could made a difference if I happen to find it among the millions that are available, but honestly if that's what's expected to get better performance in Reason maybe I should take EVERY single music based friend's advice and ditch this "TOY" program (as they call it).
Alienware are game PC's. And you can be sarcastic (or ignorant) all you want but it doesn't make you look smarter.

And well, like I've said time and time again, if you want to use your computer for audio, stay away from Dell.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Faxxer

25 Nov 2017

Hi Steedus,

What kind of budget are you up to spending,

I honestly would highly recommend you consider a custom built or building one yourself as you can get almost twice the value for your dollar than picking an OEM machine like Dell, compaq, etc.
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

AttenuationHz

26 Nov 2017

Faxxer wrote:
25 Nov 2017
Hi Steedus,

What kind of budget are you up to spending,

I honestly would highly recommend you consider a custom built or building one yourself as you can get almost twice the value for your dollar than picking an OEM machine like Dell, compaq, etc.
I agree but there are other options. You can be guaranteed where ever you are in the world you could get someone near you that would happily help you build one when all the components are provided. They might do it for free or $50 or whatever! It is so incredibly easy to build one though.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

RandyEspoda

28 Nov 2017

moalla wrote:
16 Nov 2017
So i tried today the complex Benchmark with my Ryzen1700 after updated Bios and gets with 20.3sec closer to the 6800k 24sec result in Win7 64 , but for the highest performance i don´t know how much more performance with an 16core Threadripper or egual Intel Cpu you will get, but with an Xeon E5 v3 14core the results seems more than 10 seconds better in complex benchmark test. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7501402&start=25

At the end, it must be nice to have a 16core Cpu with DDR4 3400mhz+ dual rank, so if your able to afford this, purchase it, otherwise
i think a 8Core AMD update with 16GB and motherboard costs around 600€ if you still own a old Graphiccard and Power Supply and SSD.
The newest I7 8700k isn´t available now it looks, and cost around 800€ including 16Gb Ram and Motherboard.

So it deppends on usage and power consumption at the end,
for example a 20core+ Cpu System gives you three times more power than
the newest single core PC, but needs also two-three times more of energy.

So this offer looks nice https://www.csl-computer.com/shop/produ ... 429&cPath=
and for music production you still needd only a Nvidia gt 1030 and 256gb nvme ssdd

nice regards
I agree with most of this, except that you would need an Nvdia gt1030. Not true.
Regarding graphics card you can easily go with a medium segment model, and would work equally well.
I'm using an Nvidia gt740 and works flawlessly just as well.

Graphics in Reason aren't that demanding at all, and I see little change of that in the upcoming few years.
If you're into games as well, or video editing, then and only then would the extra money for a high(er) end graphics card be justified.
So don't overdo the graphics for what you need it to do, the money 'not' spent can be used for something else, like some watercooling,
so you can overclock fairly high without any headaches, since a higher clockspeed still makes a huge difference for any kind of cpu, specifically for high demanding tasks like music production, games, video editing, ...

Think before the money sink... :p

moalla

28 Nov 2017

But i had a little to much money and now i bougth a GTX1050 TI and a nice 500gb SSD
some new Mics ...

In dependence of Steedus, i had the same Problem with blue screens in the last days,
but before my new Ryzen System worked really well without crashes for weeks,
with an old Installation of win7 64 from my old I5 on the 128gb SSD.

But everything gets f.... d of as i tried to change the ram latency and CPU speed to extrem,
and i also stoped the virtual storage ram (for backup), what must be the one thing.

But this shows me there must be within a problem with the new Windows Installation,
as i would say these mega company iss starting to shoot down win7 earlier, and if there is no will
of the users to update, they will force them!?

Because with the newest Ryzen Agesa Motherboard Driver with the old sytem,
the update brings up more than 15%+ of Performance, but with an fresh exclusiv
Ryzen installed System, its now unstable.....

So it seems management makes the world go down :evil:
cause profits .........
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Gorgon

29 Nov 2017

moalla wrote:
28 Nov 2017
But everything gets f.... d of as i tried to change the ram latency and CPU speed to extrem,
Maybe you should stop fucking around if you don't know what you're doing.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

AttenuationHz

29 Nov 2017

Gorgon wrote:
29 Nov 2017
moalla wrote:
28 Nov 2017
Maybe you should stop fucking around if you don't know what you're doing.
:clap:

Could not have put it any better myself :thumbs_up:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

sublunar

29 Nov 2017

One year ago I built a new computer around an AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte motherboard and 16GB of Corsair DDR3. Total cost was $422. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on a computer, unless you want to spend that much. Zero issues in Reason 8. I did notice that it is more laggy with multiple instances of VSTs inside of Reason 10, as opposed to using EMI like I was before. I used to pile stuff up inside a project for no reason other than to have all the fun instruments and stuff in one project. Now I keep it limited to what I actually use in the project. Weird, I know. Works great.

I find it odd that none of you have mentioned audio interfaces yet. Your choice of interface can be the difference between a good music production machine and a glitchy suckfest.

Faxxer

30 Nov 2017

I agree Sublunar!

my home studio is just an AMD 8120!!!! I have only 16Gigs of RAM....I do have one secret weapon that works better than I thought it would...the Creative labs ZxR which has a DSP processor card...it makes a real difference believe it or not!!! lol I know it's a laugh for most, but it is why I can keep on chugging with my 8120 cpu.

Don't get me wrong, reason 10 can easily max my cpu out on synths like Respire, and some heavy effects synths, but that is just a recent development...I use a TASCAM US-1800 too and it can handle enough for what I'm doing in house.
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

Gorgon

30 Nov 2017

Faxxer wrote:
30 Nov 2017
I agree Sublunar!

my home studio is just an AMD 8120!!!! I have only 16Gigs of RAM....
16 Gb of RAM is plenty.

grueser3

04 Dec 2017

So just so I’m on the same page, I would be better off with an 8th gen I7 8700,at least that says it’s 6 cores, than say any other config using a 7th gen 4core chip. Not trying to be smart but I’m glad I took the time to read this thread as I was just about ready to flop down over $3000 on a new iMac, but it only has a 7th gen and 4 core chip. I didn’t realize hyperthreading didn’t make a big diff.

grueser3

04 Dec 2017

And of course the PC with the 8th gen chip is a hell of a lot cheaper. Wasn’t considering a PC because I’ve had better luck with macs as far as lasting longer, but I think it’s a better move with having more cores. Thanks

Gorgon

05 Dec 2017

grueser3 wrote:
04 Dec 2017
So just so I’m on the same page, I would be better off with an 8th gen I7 8700,at least that says it’s 6 cores, than say any other config using a 7th gen 4core chip. Not trying to be smart but I’m glad I took the time to read this thread as I was just about ready to flop down over $3000 on a new iMac, but it only has a 7th gen and 4 core chip. I didn’t realize hyperthreading didn’t make a big diff.
It's not just the processor that makes the computer.

• Information