Yamaha MOTIF XF or a Roland FA to Reason 9.5

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
jmusic

04 Aug 2017

I would like to know exactly if someone uses either a Yamaha MOTIF XF or a Roland FA workstation, how to record the sounds from either workstation by playing the keys or pads, directly into Reason 9.5 via MIDI, but be able to bounce that MIDI to Audio? So, if someone is playing a piano library on the MOTIF how to take that exact piano library and by playing the keys, have that piano record directly into Reason 9.5 via MIDI then bounce to Audio? Another example, if someone is using the Roland FA workstation and there's a nice drum(s) samples, when playing the pads, have those drum samples from the pads record directly into Reason 9.5 via MIDI and bounce to Audio?

What's the best way to achieve this? Any additional hardware needed?

QVprod

04 Aug 2017

While I don't personally own either keyboard, the process for recording audio from any keyboard is basically the same. Audio from the keyboard has to go through an audio interface to be recorded on an audio track in Reason.

For the Motif XF that requires either the traditional way of plugging the main outputs of the keyboard into an audio interface or by the using the optional Yamaha Fw16e firewire card which will function as an audio interface. Roland FA keyboards have a built in usb audio interface.

Both of those keyboards will function with midi over usb, so just make sure you have any necessary drivers installed and that the keyboards are set to send/receive midi over usb. Motifs in particular tend to have this feature off by default.

You can send midi to these keyboards from Reason's sequencer using the EMI (external midi instrument) in Reason. I would recommend turning local control off (on the keyboards) if you are using either of of them as a controller. Bouncing is a realtime process however. Arm an audio track set to the inputs the keyboard is connected to and press record.

jmusic

04 Aug 2017

Thanks

• Information