Zoom LiveTrack L-12

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

04 Aug 2017

"Mix, Record, Monitor, Playback, and Remix"

Size of a Laptop... vs a "Mixer"... HIGH channel count...
IOS? no mention. External effects? Not that I see. Common EQ? Look so..
But, the L-12 looks Great for the Volca/Boutique runners.
a Great New option, indeed.

~$600USD - Available Sept

12 Inputs - 8 MONO 2 Stereo
6 OutPuts - 1 Master 5 MONITOR
XLR/TRS combo jacks
*1 FX Send
Channel Strip: Compressor, Low Cut Filter, and a 3 band EQ
LEVEL METERS
24 Bit/96kHz WAV
SD Card

Features at a Glance
12 discrete channels (8 mono plus 2 stereo) with XLR or 1/4-inch connectivity
14-track simultaneous recording, 12-track playback
14-in/4-out USB audio interface connectivity
5 powered headphone outputs, each with a customizable and saveable mix
Add backing/click tracks from your computer to your live mix and recording
RCA and TRS line inputs
48V phantom power (channels 1-4 and 5-8)
Hi-Z connectivity (channels 1 and 2)
26 dB pad (channels 3-8)
Built-in compression control (Channels 1-8)
Digital level meters -48 dB to -0 dB
Master mute button
Low-cut control
Stereo panning
Master and Monitor Outputs A-E
Scene saving function, up to 9 scenes saved at a time
16 built-in delay and reverb effects with adjustable parameters
Built-in slate mic
Class-compliant mode (for iOS compatibility)
SD card input
Built-in metronome
Automatic recording starting/stopping capability
Project protection
Import/export projects with USB 2.0 host port
Latency adjustment for A-to-D conversion
Compatible functions for ZOOM FS01 footswitch

joeyluck

04 Aug 2017

I've definitely got my eye on this line. I really like everything from Zoom. I mix musicals, so I need many more channels and more flexible EQ. The sweepable mid is nice, but not enough for body mics. I mix on all sorts of digital consoles, such as all the consoles from Yamaha, Avid, and even the Behringer X32 (which I've been using a lot recently). The X32 can supposedly act as an interface and I think it handles many discrete channels? But I would need another computer to capture the audio. And that's a bit too much hassle when in many cases the production doesn't secure the rights to record for distribution, but instead does recordings for archival purposes.

Being able to just input an SD card and hit record to record discrete channels without any extra equipment is really nice. The other expensive boards I use can record a stereo track onto USB thumb drive. They can also accept cards to act as interfaces. I do also need motorized faders. Keeping my fingers crossed that Zoom grows this line.

O1B

06 Aug 2017

I remember some months back, you were on here desperately asking for help with the X32. If I remember, you had JUST gotten access to one, but had until then NEVER used one. It was a nice testament to the non-intuitive nature of the X32. I hope you got it all figured out.

The other expensive boards you mention - in passing - reduce a multi channel recording to stereo. Typical. Not so with the H6 or the Behringer UFX1204. Those provide Mutli-track 'archives' which are leagues better than stereo recordings. The L-12 brings the list of Multi-track recording devices I know of to ....FOUR., and the list of "transportable ones" to two - including the H6 by Zoom..
10-11 led channel monitoring, scene save, and FX are nice touches for that small unit.

It also looks like you want motorized faders, per channel EQ, and MORE Channels. That all sounds like unreasonable requests from a $600 12 channel, 18" x 11" x 3" console.
I mean what's the size of the X32?? - 24 by 20... Let's be a bit more reasonable. .

Likewise, there is no room for per channel eq - as you'd like. And MOST mixing boards DO NOT have a mid-sweepable EQ ( the UFX1204 does) . But.. to have a Channel-Selectable EQ with sweepable Mids is a very useful tool for production. Very useful. No different than a Master EQ.

And Motorized faders in an area about a inch thick sounds kind of STAR TREK.

Good Luck with that Futuristic Board you dream of. I'd imagine you'll be waiting till '22.

Im putting in a Pre-Order today.

joeyluck wrote:
04 Aug 2017
I've definitely got my eye on this line. I really like everything from Zoom. I mix musicals, so I need many more channels and more flexible EQ. The sweepable mid is nice, but not enough for body mics. I mix on all sorts of digital consoles, such as all the consoles from Yamaha, Avid, and even the Behringer X32 (which I've been using a lot recently). The X32 can supposedly act as an interface and I think it handles many discrete channels? But I would need another computer to capture the audio. And that's a bit too much hassle when in many cases the production doesn't secure the rights to record for distribution, but instead does recordings for archival purposes.

Being able to just input an SD card and hit record to record discrete channels without any extra equipment is really nice. The other expensive boards I use can record a stereo track onto USB thumb drive. They can also accept cards to act as interfaces. I do also need motorized faders. Keeping my fingers crossed that Zoom grows this line.

joeyluck

06 Aug 2017

O1B wrote:
06 Aug 2017
I remember some months back, you were on here desperately asking for help with the X32. If I remember, you had JUST gotten access to one, but had until then NEVER used one. It was a nice testament to the non-intuitive nature of the X32. I hope you got it all figured out.

The other expensive boards you mention - in passing - reduce a multi channel recording to stereo. Typical. Not so with the H6 or the Behringer UFX1204. Those provide Mutli-track 'archives' which are leagues better than stereo recordings. The L-12 brings the list of Multi-track recording devices I know of to ....FOUR., and the list of "transportable ones" to two - including the H6 by Zoom..
10-11 led channel monitoring, scene save, and FX are nice touches for that small unit.

It also looks like you want motorized faders, per channel EQ, and MORE Channels. That all sounds like unreasonable requests from a $600 12 channel, 18" x 11" x 3" console.
I mean what's the size of the X32?? - 24 by 20... Let's be a bit more reasonable. .

Likewise, there is no room for per channel eq - as you'd like. And MOST mixing boards DO NOT have a mid-sweepable EQ ( the UFX1204 does) . But.. to have a Channel-Selectable EQ with sweepable Mids is a very useful tool for production. Very useful. No different than a Master EQ.

And Motorized faders in an area about a inch thick sounds kind of STAR TREK.

Good Luck with that Futuristic Board you dream of. I'd imagine you'll be waiting till '22.

Im putting in a Pre-Order today.

joeyluck wrote:
04 Aug 2017

I think maybe you misunderstood my post? I'm excited about this. But this iteration is just something that won't serve the work that I do. And I don't think they will stop with just the L-12. My comments weren't about what I wish the L-12 was (and what I would hope to fit inside the same chassis). Just what I hope to see from them in the future growing from this line. Yes, I imagine if there is an L-16 or 24 or whatever, it will be probably be mostly identical in features with the same form factor.

Having a channel selectable EQ like the L-12 is perfectly fine. It's how most all digital boards operate. I just need a more flexible EQ for mixing musicals and body mics. A full-featured parametric EQ with more bands and width/Q control etc.

I don't recall ever desperately asking for help with the X32? I think the post you refer to is a post I made on a weekend when the online contact form for Behringer was failing? That post yielded no replies and that was that. I had figured it out. But I do things in theatre and live mixing that isn't conventional to what others do, so it didn't surprise me that it didn't get any replies... But I'm here often, and I know some folks here use the X32, so figured I'd ask in the meantime. It's actually pretty intuitive for everything else it does. And yeah, the easy answer here may be to simply invest in another simple computer dedicated to recording and connecting to other digital boards via USB interface to record the channels discretely.

I am a fan of Zoom. Before Reason, I produced all of my songs using a Zoom SampleTrak ST-224. I owned an H4n. When the H6 was announced, I was already imagining a smaller version (the H5; which I own now). I also imagined them getting further into the pro field recording department. Which they have since done with the F4 and F8 (both which I'm still considering). Although, Zoom now says that the L-12 has the best preamps they have ever made and have said that they are better than the F series, so curious to see if there will be an update to those at some point.

This is great news. I'm excited about where this might lead :puf_smile:

O1B

04 Sep 2017

Arrived @SW. Ships this week. Killer Rig:
1. Mixer
2. Interface
3. Recorder
24/96 Primo audio quality - like all ZOOMs.

Studio, Rehearsals, Live..

Hands on Control of the Mix - compared to the Roland's Studio Capture
No need for an iPad, like the Behr XR-18 - (but you go get those awesome plugins.)

For me, the most important knob - besides RECORD - is the PAN knob. I wish they were 'dedicated' so i can joystick two at a time, but i can do that in other ways (nectar P1)
It seems so Perfect that a 12 channel mixer will fit in my lap.

... along with the TR-08 - which SHIPS THIS WEEK!!

O1B

08 Sep 2017

The L-12 came... it SOUNDS GREAT!!
About the size of a pillow.. mixed in bed with a SoundLink. The EQ (specifically, the bass response) is very usable.
Moving to the Focals, the bass I thought I heard was preserved... a WIN.

It makes mixing in any arrangement ( to the left, to the right, in a DAW, w/ pedals, Sends - via open channels on the mixer, using on board FX) fluid. ( - no separate track(s) for FX, though)

Pocket - iRig Mix - Superb Bass EQ Curve
Road - Xone 23c 96k, 4 stereo Track AI, nice EQ with w/H and LPF with Resonance... (rare)
Studio - Behr UFX1204 16 track *multitrack'd Mixer with 2 Send/Returns.. 'bypass' EQ but it works.
DJ - Roland MX-1 Monster Filter FX Mixer - mostly for AIRA rhythm Links- but it sounds Great.

Tracking -
Live - Zoom L - 12
Behr XR-18, w/iPad
DW - Softube Console 1
Nektar P1

Soon Maschine MX3

The L12 can move from the bed to the stand to a friends house.
You can plug in tracks and add to your music anytime. It's Great. works well with DrumBrute or a TR-808.

joeyluck

07 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
04 Aug 2017

So, I contacted Behringer with the idea back in August and they said they would forward the idea...

And I just found out that exactly what I need is coming soon! :)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLIVE

So that will allow me to record discrete channels directly to SD card at the theatres I work that use the X32.

Not to get this thread off track of the main topic, the L12, but figured I had mentioned it here. I'm a big fan of Zoom. How is the L12 working out for you? Are you using it in live settings or just recording sessions? Using it with Reason?

Bloma

13 Dec 2017

Ooh I saw this in Audio Technology mag, it looks awesome. Sorry if this has been answered already, but does this mean you can record into your DAW with 8 tracks simultaneously?

• Information