Nektar Panorama P6 - still relevant for a while? Better suggestion?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
jayhosking

18 Jul 2017

Apologies if the question is odd, or if it's been covered somewhere else and I couldn't find it.

I've been hankering for a better keyboard controller and, after quite a bit of looking online and on this forum, it seemed like the Nektar Panorama P6 would be a good fit for me.

The thing is, the P6 doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere in Canada (which is where I'm located). It's available as "special order", but often this categorization means that it's not actually available or will take an inordinate amount of time to arrive.

So my questions:
Is the P6 on its way out? Or do Nektar products go through cycles of abundance and rarity?
Maybe more importantly, since the P6 is a few years old, is Nektar planning to replace or iterate upon the P6 in the immediate future? i.e. Is that why it's unavailable everywhere? Should I wait to purchase a Nektar product?

Similarly, if you want to dissuade me from buying a P6, and buy something else instead, have at it! I'm very open to suggestions. Mind you, I'm replacing a keyboard that doesn't feel very good to play (Acorn Masterkey), so I've already done the budget thing and I'm looking for better. Here are my criteria:
- 61 keys (it's a space constraint in my apartment/desk setup)
- semi-weighted or weighted keys that feel really nice to play; i.e. NOT synth-action keys
- input for a sustain pedal
- if it's also a control surface with transport/faders/etc. (like the P6), it just works and doesn't require fussing with settings

Thanks in advance for all the help. Again, sorry if the question is dumb. Just seems strange for the P6 to be unavailable everywhere across the country.

O1B

18 Jul 2017

The P6 ($600, new) is most likely on it's way out.
The P1 of that family is still IN STOCK at SweetWater, but the P6's time has come.

IMO, it's an okay keyboard (so so action) with one noisy motorized fader.
But it has a Great Screen and Great Reason Integration.

I like the ease lf use of the Nektars, though, and it's a pretty popular brand here.
I went for a Motor61 for a nice change, and it's great so far.

61 keys, Motorized faders, Lighted knobs and drum pads, great action. Lower Price,.
$450. So far, 5 star ratings wherever I look. The X-Touch and XR-18 aren't bad companions, either:

Novation Launchpad looks great, as well. $250, I just wanted moving faders before I die.
Kurzweil if the sky is the Limit!

jayhosking wrote:
18 Jul 2017
I've been hankering for a better keyboard controller and, after quite a bit of looking online and on this forum, it seemed like the Nektar Panorama P6 would be a good fit for me.

The thing is, the P6 doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere in Canada (which is where I'm located). It's available as "special order", but often this categorization means that it's not actually available or will take an inordinate amount of time to arrive.

So my questions:
Is the P6 on its way out?

Similarly, if you want to dissuade me from buying a P6, and buy something else instead, have at it! Here are my criteria:
- 61 keys (it's a space constraint in my apartment/desk setup)
- semi-weighted or weighted keys that feel really nice to play; i.e. NOT synth-action keys
- input for a sustain pedal
- if it's also a control surface with transport/faders/etc. (like the P6), it just works and doesn't require fussing with settings

Thanks in advance for all the help. Again, sorry if the question is dumb. Just seems strange for the P6 to be unavailable everywhere across the country.

QVprod

18 Jul 2017

The P6 is still the flagship controller for Nektar and is still sold in the US. Yes it's been around for a few years but I doubt it's on it's way out. Sweetwater says it has more on the way. Keep in mind Nektar is a much smaller company than Novation, Behringer, M Audio...etc... so it could be a cycle. Now if the store that has it on special order used to have it in stock, then maybe it could be on it's way out or perhaps that store doesn't sell many of them anymore. Nektar hasn't announced a Panorama replacement though.

It's a great controller however. As far as integration, there's nothing on the market that matches it. The keys are better than most midi controllers. The screen and different modes is the selling point. I'd still recommend it.

kefkekeyser

18 Jul 2017

I own a Panorama P6. Mine is about 5 years old, still working fine.

I did not own any other keyboard, so I cannot really command on the keys action (although I think it’s fine), but I can tell you that the integration of the Panorama P6 with Reason is fantastic (it makes Reason feel like a hardware keyboard workstation).

Only issue I found: it’s a bit of a dust magnet and the keys of my P6 are now a bit yellowish. No idea why the keys got yellowish, looks like some kind of discoloration.

O1B

18 Jul 2017

More on the Way from Sweetwater means We Ship when you Order. ... been there, done that.

They also have "Special Order" but that's more like Softtube's Controller.
This is JUST a midi keyboard... like Apple selling MBPs... and, right before renewal, there wasn't even inventory of the 15"MBP in the Apple Stores...

The P1 is there... so are the other Nectar MIDIs.. P6's from any other store (GC, MFriend, B&H), that's old stock. Even B and H shows More on the Way.... and, they stock everything they can get.

Not a Great sign if I was buying. Just my opinion.

more opinions:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6151469
I think the keys felt just a smidge better on the Novation, but to me (a former piano player of about 10 years), it is certainly good enough to enjoy. They're still plasticy... The various components feel somewhat cheaper compared with the Novation. They certainly are good enough ... also not entirely a fan of the pads. They're ok if you make sure to hit them in the center, but they're not uniformly solid like on most pad controllers (Maschine, Push, QuNeo
Integration -YES... Design in need on Improvement - YES.
The keys are quiet noisy but I don't mind them at all.
I'd say try it in way that you can change your mind ...
P1 here, so Im so Nectar hater.

Consider - The P6 does not have a separate, external power, I believe.. just USB. Not great.
QVprod wrote:
18 Jul 2017
The P6 is still the flagship controller for Nektar and is still sold in the US. Yes it's been around for a few years but I doubt it's on it's way out. Sweetwater says it has more on the way. Keep in mind Nektar is a much smaller company than Novation, Behringer, M Audio...etc... so it could be a cycle. Now if the store that has it on special order used to have it in stock, then maybe it could be on it's way out or perhaps that store doesn't sell many of them anymore. Nektar hasn't announced a Panorama replacement though.

It's a great controller however. As far as integration, there's nothing on the market that matches it. The keys are better than most midi controllers. The screen and different modes is the selling point. I'd still recommend it.

QVprod

18 Jul 2017

O1B wrote:
18 Jul 2017
More on the Way from Sweetwater means We Ship when you Order. ... been there, done that.

They also have "Special Order" but that's more like Softtube's Controller.
This is JUST a midi keyboard... like Apple selling MBPs... and, right before renewal, there wasn't even inventory of the 15"MBP in the Apple Stores...

The P1 is there... so are the other Nectar MIDIs.. P6's from any other store (GC, MFriend, B&H), that's old stock. Even B and H shows More on the Way.... and, they stock everything they can get.

Not a Great sign if I was buying. Just my opinion.

Consider - The P6 does not have a separate, external power, I believe.. just USB. Not great.
Fair point. Correction though on the external power. The P6 and P4 have an additional usb to the P1 for powering the motorized fader. However, this can be used to power it standalone with a cell phone charger or usb to AC adapter. I've used my P6 to control a motif rack es not too long ago (no computer). It excels at that too I should mention.

O1B

19 Jul 2017

That's a very professional website youve got bloomig there, QV.
Good luck with your music. Must be nice to BE at that stage.

Interesting Artist.
QVprod wrote:
18 Jul 2017

Fair point. Correction though on the external power. The P6 and P4 have an additional usb to the P1 for powering the motorized fader. However, this can be used to power it standalone with a cell phone charger or usb to AC adapter. I've used my P6 to control a motif rack es not too long ago (no computer). It excels at that too I should mention.
Last edited by O1B on 19 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

demt

19 Jul 2017

as a better suggestion i suggest

a) a Nektar panorama P1
b)a Akai MPKmini
c)novation launchpad with grid 64g RE
those 3 choices will do just about anything you can think of ,more bang for your buck than anything else,unless you seriously need a full size keybord
very cost effective
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

QVprod

19 Jul 2017

O1B wrote:
19 Jul 2017
That's a very professional website youve got bloomig there, QV.
Good luck with your music. Must be nice to at that stag

Interesting Artist.
Thanks. Believe it or not it really just a cheap weebly website with a pre-made theme. Having nice images just makes it easier to make a website look good. I actually literally just revamped it last night.

O1B

19 Jul 2017

Your kit does have Pads (##, w/Vel), Keys, Knobs(20+), Faders (16+), Transport Control, Step Sequencing/Arping, and Feedback (P1, Transport)

But - there's more Bang Possible, friend.
- None of those have midi feedback (LFO/PAN etc) ... a la Midi Fighter Twister or TFPro...
- No XY (Touch) or Joystick.. or Lemur-type dynamics,
- No Aftertouch
- None generate sounds as well as being midi gear,
- None can send NOTE/GATE to outboard Gear

demt wrote:
19 Jul 2017

a) a Nektar panorama P1
b)a Akai MPKmini
those 3 choices will do just about anything you can think of ,more bang for your buck than anything else,unless you seriously need a full size keybord
very cost effective

demt

19 Jul 2017

O1B wrote:
19 Jul 2017
Your kit does have Pads (##, w/Vel), Keys, Knobs(20+), Faders (16+), Transport Control, Step Sequencing/Arping, and Feedback (P1, Transport)

But - there's more Bang Possible, friend.
- None of those have midi feedback (LFO/PAN etc) ... a la Midi Fighter Twister or TFPro...
- No XY (Touch) or Joystick.. or Lemur-type dynamics,
- No Aftertouch
- None generate sounds as well as being midi gear,
- None can send NOTE/GATE to outboard Gear

demt wrote:
19 Jul 2017

a) a Nektar panorama P1
b)a Akai MPKmini
very cost effective
and erm how mutch did all that cost
£350 odd for my little lot and the akai mk2,i forgot to say, has a joystick and an arpegiater and i think the keys are velocity sensitive but not aftertouch i must admit
The novation plugs strait into the grid64g to make a great drum sequencer especially with kong and theres other mapping availible but it doesnt compare without the grid64g
But best of luck on chosing what gear you need
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Socram
RE Developer

19 Jul 2017

I don't have a source right now, I'll update it later if I can, but there was an official "press" release that said they'd be adding VST support for the reason integration specifically, but they had no ETA. The fact that they are offering an update for this major update means the P6 is clearly still a priority to maintain for Nektar.

Found the official source: http://www.nektartech.com/s.nl/ctype.KB ... /KB.746/.f
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

O1B

20 Jul 2017

Just a little exaggeration there when you specifically say "P6." That text page mentions nothing about the P6.
VST Support - Of course... They DO make a P1, P4, and other boards. Im sure they have those in mind, as well.

Chew on this.... P6 is the flagship synth by Nektar... yes? .... Well, I see an advert for the P1 ... Big and Bold....
But, where oh where is the P6?! ... the P6 gets NO LOVE in their main pictures.

Now, why would that be?
Socram wrote:
19 Jul 2017
I don't have a source right now, I'll update it later if I can, but there was an official "press" release that said they'd be adding VST support for the reason integration specifically, but they had no ETA. The fact that they are offering an update for this major update means the P6 is clearly still a priority to maintain for Nektar.

Found the official source: http://www.nektartech.com/s.nl/ctype.KB ... /KB.746/.f

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2017

O1B wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Just a little exaggeration there when you specifically say "P6." That text page mentions nothing about the P6.
VST Support - Of course... They DO make a P1, P4, and other boards. Im sure they have those in mind, as well.

Chew on this.... P6 is the flagship synth by Nektar... yes? .... Well, I see an advert for the P1 ... Big and Bold....

Now, why would that be?
Socram wrote:
19 Jul 2017

I went straight to products and saw this... Yep that is a P6
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (121.18 KiB) Viewed 9001 times

Also there are a lot of places that have the P6 in stock here in the UK. Maybe there has been a bit of rush on for them over there, as now more people have come over to Reason due to the VST support and want a K/B with really tight integration.....

I've had my Nektar for years, if it did break I would be buying another one, would be lost without that integration...

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jayhosking

20 Jul 2017

Thanks kindly for all the responses.

If you're curious, I contacted Nektar and asked them more or less the same questions. Here's their answer:

The Panorama MIDI controller is several years old but it not on its way out any time soon. I am afraid I am not able to give out any information about controller or supported DAW updates. But we will continue to support Reason users.

Doesn't say anything about new products, but does suggest that the P6 will continue to be manufactured for a while. Not sure what she meant by the second sentence, since I didn't really ask about that, but there you are.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten here.

O1B

21 Jul 2017

What are you on about, my good man?
who said there wasn't a picture ON the site? Please, READ next time.
MAIN Pictures... there's a little image of a P6. Nothing like what you posted.

The P6 is but a blip on the main page. Yes, i know it's on the site somewhere.

Sweetwater.... still out of Stock. B and H photo.. still out of Stock.
Congrats on the UK stock. UK is a great place to find old, discontinued gear...
(Frost wave, Lovetone, etc.. I know.. I have a few.)

The P6 is being phased out and there is nothing you can do about it:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
20 Jul 2017
O1B wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Now, why would that be?
I went straight to products and saw this... Yep that is a P6
Capture.JPG
Also there are a lot of places that have the P6 in stock here in the UK. Maybe there has been a bit of rush on for them over there, as now more people have come over to Reason due to the VST support and want a K/B with really tight integration.....

I've had my Nektar for years, if it did break I would be buying another one, would be lost without that integration...
PoohBear

O1B

21 Jul 2017

Dude, we gotta be humble and accept the truth.. It's old. It will be replaced.
But, that doesn't mean that it's a bad piece of Kit. I have old, discontinued gear i would NEVER part with. I still have my Axiom Pro61at a friends house. I Love it!

Personally I detest the keys and pads, and the one motor fader on the P6,
- but I appreciate the love here on RTalk for it. P6's reason integration is unmatched.

Remember: It could be 1 month, 6 months or a year so who knows. Apple took 12-18 months to refresh the MBP15 to it's current form. But you're 'possibly' making music TODAY. So pick one and git busy with the Rhythm.

Godspeed.
jayhosking wrote:
20 Jul 2017

If you're curious, I contacted Nektar and asked them more or less the same questions. Here's their answer:

The Panorama MIDI controller is several years old but it not on its way out any time soon. I am afraid I am not able to give out any information about controller or supported DAW updates. But we will continue to support Reason users.

Doesn't say anything about new products, but does suggest that the P6 will continue to be manufactured for a while. Not sure what she meant by the second sentence, since I didn't really ask about that, but there you are.

arqui

26 Jul 2017

crappy panorama P6, I had to disable the pads because they shoot themselves, Something broke alone, I never use them I have an akai mpd26
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

drloop

27 Jul 2017

arqui wrote:
26 Jul 2017
crappy panorama P6, I had to disable the pads because they shoot themselves, Something broke alone, I never use them I have an akai mpd26
MPD26, fine drumpads. I am looking at the P1, the only bad thing is the lack of moving fader,

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2017

jayhosking wrote:
20 Jul 2017

You can go for it then :D

I think they don't like saying anything about support (release of updates) is because they have missed a lot of deadlines (well every deadline I can think of, in fact there was meant to be a BIG release do to with VST mappings in Reason a few weeks ago, still nohting, but hey we support it).

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2017

drloop wrote:
27 Jul 2017

I am looking at the P1, the only bad thing is the lack of moving fader,
For the last couple of years I have not had my moving fader plugged in on my P4, so that is something I would not miss, I did always hope that they would make all faders moving....

jayhosking

27 Jul 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
27 Jul 2017
Just arrived. Just unboxed. Just installed the maps from here (THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT). It's a beautiful device. I get the mixed reaction on the keys, but they're a huge step up for me, and having transport and knob control for every RE is amazing.

Any threads for hot tips? For example, I noticed that I had to crank the filter cutoff knob for Kraft through multiple rotations to get from 0 to 127 (or whatever it's called on the screen); is there any way to reduce the sensitivity so you can get through the entire filter spectrum in one turn of the hand?

Thanks again for all the help with this, everybody.

wendylou

27 Jul 2017

@jayhosking congrats! I've had the P6 since it came out and still like controlling Reason with it. My only negatives are that the Nektar "weighted" keyboards just seem stiff to me and make a lot of clunk noise from the spring snapback. Also, my white key faces have yellowed badly since 2012 from indirect sunlight UV radiation (but still white on the hidden sides of each key). Other than that, the integration and control of Reason is fantastic. Nektar is pretty slow updating the Panorama mappings, but at least we have a group here to keep them fresh. Enjoy!
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2017

jayhosking wrote:
27 Jul 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
27 Jul 2017
Just arrived. Just unboxed. Just installed the maps from here (THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT). It's a beautiful device. I get the mixed reaction on the keys, but they're a huge step up for me, and having transport and knob control for every RE is amazing.

Any threads for hot tips? For example, I noticed that I had to crank the filter cutoff knob for Kraft through multiple rotations to get from 0 to 127 (or whatever it's called on the screen); is there any way to reduce the sensitivity so you can get through the entire filter spectrum in one turn of the hand?

Thanks again for all the help with this, everybody.
Internal\Global\Encoder Curve you can set it to Fast, (however under standard I still can do it with one rotation see note)

Note the encoders have like an velocity curve on them, so if you move the knob slowly it will take a lot of turns, move it really really quick you get the same result (takes a lot of turns), there is a midway turning speed that will accelerate the knob and you can do it with one twist. (setting it to fast may help).

Also under the global is the velocity curve for the keyboard, I did change mine from the standard for my playing style...

PoohBear

(Electronic) Solar Dance

OverneathTheSkyBridg

28 Jul 2017

I love my P6 but Nektar is incredibly slow with updates. I wasnt a fan of that last one they did that provided "generic support" for REs they haven't gotten around to yet. I wish theyd develop some software that would allow us to make our own menus and mapping for REs we own without having to piss around with text editing.

I agree with those who mentioned the shitty pads.... they definitely suck but are useful of course for devices like Dr REX and Redrum pattern selection.

My P6 is going strong but if it ever crapped out I'd probably get a P1 and an Akai MPK249 to replace it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

• Information