Suggestions for External GPUs?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

12 Jul 2017

So macOS High Sierra will have support for external GPUs.

Can anybody point me to any recommendations? Not looking for anything crazy; something inexpensive. I'm just interested in the concept and the idea of improving performance a little bit for graphics related tasks.

Are there any good all-in-one options for a reasonable price? Most of what I find when doing a search is the chassis without a graphics card. And many of those alone are already expensive by themselves. Maybe something bundled?

jonheal

12 Jul 2017

Didn't know there was such a thing ... ?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

wendylou

12 Jul 2017

I saw a recent video from somone who has one of the newer extenal graphics cards working on Mac and he said it is an ongoing hassle to keep it working well with every OS update. He actualy advises most people against trying it. His recommendation was to wait for Apple to embrace modern graphics cards with the upcoming Mac Pro. Maybe that's changed with High Sierra?
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

joeyluck

12 Jul 2017

wendylou wrote:
12 Jul 2017
I saw a recent video from somone who has one of the newer extenal graphics cards working on Mac and he said it is an ongoing hassle to keep it working well with every OS update. He actualy advises most people against trying it. His recommendation was to wait for Apple to embrace modern graphics cards with the upcoming Mac Pro. Maybe that's changed with High Sierra?
Well yeah that's a big part of High Sierra; support for external GPUs as well as Metal 2 and better graphics performance. Although it has just dawned on me that my MacBook Air might not have ports fast enough to support an external GPU. I have Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3. I think Thunderbolt 3/USB Type C will be needed...

• Information