DSP and Latency

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
jmusic

20 Jun 2017

I started using Reason 9.5. I noticed when I start adding VST instruments and or effects the DSP goes completely nuts, 70-80-90%. I also notice some latency issues (choppy) playback.
  • EVGA X58 SLI FTW3 (Socket 423)
  • Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz Bloomfield 45nm Technology
  • 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (7-7-7-20)
  • 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
  • Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Is there any hardware that can supply more DSP? If not, is there a way to make my own mini computer and have just the instruments and effects run from that to give me more DSP and help with the latency? Any ideas?

Thanks

Oquasec

20 Jun 2017

Condition of ya hard drive?
Condition of all of the above?
Any defrags recently?

Stable audio drivers or are they wonky?
Is your ethernet/wifi interfering with asio drivers?

Does asio4all give you different results from your interface driver?
List goes on fella, run down these troubleshootings.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jmusic

20 Jun 2017

I use a Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series hard drive. I haven't did any defragmentation. I also use the CLARO PLUS+ sound card ALL up-to-date drivers installed as well as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I provided the specs what I'm using.

AttenuationHz

23 Jun 2017

jmusic wrote:
20 Jun 2017
I use a Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series hard drive. I haven't did any defragmentation. I also use the CLARO PLUS+ sound card ALL up-to-date drivers installed as well as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I provided the specs what I'm using.
SSD's don't get fragmented. I've noticed latency using graphics hungry plug-ins myself. I have contacted support over it and the plug-in providers they say to use a less precise setting. I have a feeling its an OpenGL/CL issue in Reason itself because from what I gathered and what I was told on here. Reason will tell a VST, RE or stock device to use less frame rate if it needs resources it may even drop the frame rate to 5-10fps on some VST/RE.

But I've tested this theory out and in a blank session with no DSP being used Reason still has inherent graphics latency. The VST I've noticed this with is BlueCats FreqAnalyst Multi when on precision 10 100% speed. I was advised from BC to decrease precision to 8 with a speed of 200% and increase the global setting in the plug-in to 200Hz. But there is still latency in reason and I might as well be using the Reason analyser because at the 8 setting that is more accurate.

You could try to update your graphics driver to the latest version. I have not gotten around to updating mine yet but there is updates for OpenGL and CL that may or may not have fix the latency (750 Ti).

The DSP is tricky because some plug-ins will generally use more processing power than others. You're probably due an upgrade on your cpu though even mine i7 4790k is showing signs of performance decrease with 9.5. In fact the same project in 8.3.2 has better performance than 9.5. It uses 2 notches on the DSP meter in 8. In 9.5 it flutters up to 3 notches and it has no VST's in the project.

There is a whole section in the manual on DSP that would be worth the read. But if you don't know which VST is using the most DSP if you bypass VST's it will decrease DSP. Any tracks that can be bounced with those plug-in probably should be.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

XysteR

01 Jul 2017

Sorry to bring bad news but 3 cores at 2.8Ghz is the problem. Nothing you can do apart from upgrading your mainboard CPU, ram and if possible an SSD. Aim to get a 6 or 8 core Intel CPU (cores are key) with 16-32GB ram. Avoid AMD.

AttenuationHz

01 Jul 2017

XysteR wrote:
01 Jul 2017
Sorry to bring bad news but 3 cores at 2.8Ghz is the problem. Nothing you can do apart from upgrading your mainboard CPU, ram and if possible an SSD. Aim to get a 6 or 8 core Intel CPU (cores are key) with 16-32GB ram. Avoid AMD.
Physical cores are key rather. Threaded cores are not fully utilized they do audio but not performance hungry tasks.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

XysteR

04 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jul 2017
XysteR wrote:
01 Jul 2017
Physical cores are key rather. Threaded cores are not fully utilized they do audio but not performance hungry tasks.
Yes I know. I didn't say anything about HT.

Aim to get an Intel CPU with 6 or 8 cores.

AttenuationHz

05 Jul 2017

XysteR wrote:
04 Jul 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jul 2017

Yes I know. I didn't say anything about HT.

Aim to get an Intel CPU with 6 or 8 cores.
:P I never said you never said :)

i9's are the next big thing though OP. 10 (to 18) cores 20 (36) threaded :shock: other processors may come down a little in price

• Information