Rebirth for iOS going bye bye

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

Gorgon

12 Jun 2017

We will get our money back then?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Ostermilk

12 Jun 2017

Interesting, seems on the face of it a sensible decision by the Props though.

Given that Rebirth has come and gone a long time ago on PC it does appear that it's the iOS market is the factor behind Roland's decision here, being as there's so many long standing 3rd party TB-303 and TR-X0X act alikes everywhere else anyway.

Ostermilk

12 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
We will get our money back then?
If you can still use the product you paid for?

I could take a guess.

Exowildebeest

12 Jun 2017

Uhm. Isn't it very strange that Roland comes up with this so many years after the release of the original Rebirth?

Did they switch legal firms or something?

Marco Raaphorst

12 Jun 2017

WTF was Roland thinking? ....

So now anyone doing a Minimoog simulation or something like that might end up in the same situation?

TheGuyNotNamedBob

12 Jun 2017

Bought.

Since, from experience, I know that you can use IOS apps even after they have been removed, I decided to finally purchase ReBirth.

Despondo
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2017

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:Bought.

Since, from experience, I know that you can use IOS apps even after they have been removed, I decided to finally purchase ReBirth.
Probably won't work on anything later than iOS 10 due to the switch to 64bit only in iOS 11 moving forward. :-(

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 Jun 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:WTF was Roland thinking? ....

So now anyone doing a Minimoog simulation or something like that might end up in the same situation?
It always has, to my understanding, been a balancing act. Unofficial synth re-creations almost always use some sort of vague language in their marketing copy, like "based on a famous 1980s bass synthesizer" to avoid using (and potentially infringing) the actual trademarks.

But "trade dress" is also a part of trademarks and that part can be fuzzier. The silver knobs on a 303 or the orange gradient buttons on an 808 could definitely be considered trade dress, and that's why many unofficial re-creations also change the appearance of the hardware. As an example, look at how NI Monark or Synapse Legend don't really look like a Minimoog - while Arturia, which has an official agreement with Moog, went all-in on the Moog look-and-feel.

kuhliloach

12 Jun 2017

I will never buy another Roland product as long as I live. I hope the CEO's reading this understand the tremendous weight of their terrible decision.

Gorgon

12 Jun 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:Uhm. Isn't it very strange that Roland comes up with this so many years after the release of the original Rebirth?

Did they switch legal firms or something?
Nope. The release of the TB-03, I guess.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

madmacman

12 Jun 2017

Despondo wrote:

Probably won't work on anything later than iOS 10 due to the switch to 64bit only in iOS 11 moving forward. :-(
I'm running iOS 10.3 on an iPad Air 2. When I go to Settings -> General -> Apps, then Rebirth is NOT listed in the table of incompatible apps. I suppose it is 64 bit already?

Despondo
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2017

madmacman wrote:
Despondo wrote:

I'm running iOS 10.3 on an iPad Air 2. When I go to Settings -> General -> Apps, then Rebirth is NOT listed in the table of incompatible apps. I suppose it is 64 bit already?
iOS 11 will be 64bit only. Try upgrading to 11 and see if it works then. I'm curious to see if it will. :-)

madmacman

12 Jun 2017

Despondo wrote:
madmacman wrote:
Despondo wrote:

iOS 11 will be 64bit only. Try upgrading to 11 and see if it works then. I'm curious to see if it will. :-)
Unfortunately, I don't have a "spare" device for the iOS 11 beta. So I must be patient until release in September. ;)

EnochLight

12 Jun 2017

So lame. It is well known that Roland was totally cool with ReBirth. Now that Ikutaro Kakehashi is dead, looks like they're doing an about face. Between Roland Cloud's subscription service and now this, I am beginning to loathe them.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

davidvilla

12 Jun 2017

kuhliloach wrote:I will never buy another Roland product as long as I live. I hope the CEO's reading this understand the tremendous weight of their terrible decision.

LOL, I'm preeeeeeetty suuuuuuure Roland don't give a f*ck.

kuhliloach

12 Jun 2017

davidvilla wrote:
kuhliloach wrote:I will never buy another Roland product as long as I live. I hope the CEO's reading this understand the tremendous weight of their terrible decision.

LOL, I'm preeeeeeetty suuuuuuure Roland don't give a f*ck.

Roland never has (and never will) give one f about me or any of their customers. This is now being proven through a public display of greed and stupidity, harming a great program like Re-Birth. Pretty sure.

ltbrunt00

12 Jun 2017

Just Curious, could the props change the gui elements of rebirth and sell it once again.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Marco Raaphorst

12 Jun 2017

Since the U220 and D110 Roland put samples in their device. They sampled other equipment... everyone is doing and redoing this kind of stuff. I understand, copyright,.. but it's still strange.

kuhliloach

12 Jun 2017

Rather than further the PR disaster Roland has now created (which will no doubt continue) it's worth giving some props to Propellerheads for maintaining, not just creating, but maintaining this iOS app over the course of time and through all OS upgrade hurdles. I'm sure you've noticed how many iOS apps go stale on the app store just due to lack of updates alone. Well poor Re-Birth now has a new enemy? Just absurd. So, thanks to Props for the great program. Re-Birth was influential for me many years ago.

O1B

12 Jun 2017

did you Ever own a Roland product?
no Roland gear ... ever... interesting concept.

Drums? not even something roland-esque.. ?
Keys...? Sound Mods?

how about MIDI..?

i hope you're bluffing.

Ostermilk

12 Jun 2017

Kombucha wrote:
But what makes this a 'Roland' licensed product ?
A product made under a license granted by Roland would make it a Roland licensed product. It's not a Roland licensed product.

The decison from Propellerhead has notiing to do with licensing issues, if you read the page linked in the OP you'll see that the decision comes after a statement from Roland that the product infringes on the company’s intellectual property rights.

Nothing to do with licensing. I think the Props just decided it wasn't worth fighting a potential intellectual property infringment case over it even had it been likely they'd have won as I can't see it would have benefitted anyone especially as the Props have already shown they can create far more worthwhile apps in todays market anyway.

IIRC UAD had some emulated Roland effects (Space Echo, Dimension D, Studio Chorus) which disappeared a couple of years ago I think those actually were made under license or at least with some endorsement from Roland but still got pulled.

It just seems to be where Roland are at presently. The sad irony is that Roland had abandoned the 303 and the 808 years before they really took off as popular instruments in their own right, and would have been consigned to Roland's legacy list ages ago had it not been for products like Rebirth and it's legions of enthusiasts turning those clunky old boxes into the things of legend.
Kombucha wrote: This is now the third device in the Propellerhead stable that has fallen to licensing issues in just a few years (the two Line6 amps being the others). And what's stopping Roland from demanding a withdrawal of the ABL3 Rack Extension, which I thought was a Roland emu also ? It's even called 'Bass Line' like the original.
I'm not sure if you are in training as a tabloid jounalist after reading that paragraph. but the Line 6 devices (both of them...which make 2 :D ) were the product of a previous agreement with Line 6 which ended, so AFAICT that wasn't a licensing 'issue' either. ABL3 is a product from AudioRealism not Propellerheads. But keep trying as I think the Daily Mail in the UK might be keen on your particualar writing style... :puf_bigsmile:

geekles

12 Jun 2017

Well, Props made a Facebook post today calling for beta testers for a new mobile app. So there's that at least.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2017

There are dozens of roland hardware copies around. I wonder if these guys are getting a call from Roland... :/

jonheal

13 Jun 2017

Intellectual "property" is a wonderful and terrible thing.
Last edited by jonheal on 13 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

• Information