How Do You Mount Your Controller ?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gullum

09 Jun 2017

how about removing the rubber feet on the back side and replace with something you have around the house that make it stand higher at the back

O1B

11 Jun 2017

Maschine Stand.... ..well, a roland stand, i believe. Pretty much mounts to any Roland (Octapad), Elektron gear, etc...
with 3m dual lock, you can mount anything to it:

NI S2Mkii, or sets of mini synths, or guitar pedals sits on this/... Good for moving around. I use a piece of wood as a flat base:

jonheal

11 Jun 2017

How do I mount my controller? Very carefully. Lest it pinch me in a sensitive spot.

Sorry.

(I'm surprised I'm the only juvenile in here ...)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

O1B

11 Jun 2017

I hear ya on the "floating" work space...

Over my DJ setup, "floats" Koassilators and Biscuit/Bam.. on an ERGOTRON:
It locks well enough to support those KORGS - which are pretty heavy. Holds the desk well. Never failed.
It moves left or right out go the way - while keeping my SEND/RETURN FX within reach.
I've never drummed on it, but x/y pad pressure and such is no problem'

If you mean a 61 key controller - you'd have to watch early bat cave stuff for some DIY ideas.
RIP, Bruce Wayne. Adam West.
Godspeed.

Kombucha wrote:Hi O1B - those two stands look amazing, and very robust !

However, as they are both upright, they do not achieve what I'm hoping to set up - and that is to have a controller that 'floats' over my work area rather than affixed to a vertical strut. Also, the challenge I set is to make something as a DIY project, which will be zero cost by using materials around the house.

O1B

11 Jun 2017

I LIKE THAT!!!! But, for a Controller, I hope it's HEAVY, has a SOLID HEAVY "atlas"-type BASE.
Or... it seems that'd be tumbling...
Kombucha wrote:Platform is mounted, and can be put in to position. Theoretically, the pitch of the platform can be adjusted to best suit usability of the controller. I'm hoping for somewhere around 45º

But there is a problem.... it is too heavy ! Structurally, this design is solid, but the failure point is the microphone clip, that is drawn down by the weight. No amount of tightening it's screw will alleviate this, so later today I am going to pull one apart, look at the glues/adhesives I have, and attempt to make a heavy-duty clip.

I intend to reduce the weight further by drilling out sections of the platform with various holesaws. But in it's current mounted state, this will still not be adequate once the controller is in place.

mount_001.png

O1B

12 Jun 2017

3 kgs... no go. The Atlas base is 23 pounds... for a *mic*.
I have a P1....your ability to "play" the P1 with 100% comfortable "real time" usage seems diminished.

I don't think the P1 is worth the effort and concentrated space. It's no Push or Octatrack (I don't have 'em).
It's old tech now... RsTouch [http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/] is much more useable..
and, an iPad's easier to Mount.

Motorized faders... lighted knobs.... I'd consider a controller upgrade:
and, be done with it.

if you must, try a C-Clamp:
Kombucha wrote:Actually, to avoid toppling, and doing away with ropes and weights, I've come up with a tidy solution.

I can use a mini Hercules stand with a very heavy base, affixed to the opposite end of the boom arm that's holding my platform. The whole counterweight apparatus here weighs in at 3kg. Clip on/clip off, easy.

counterweight.png

O1B

12 Jun 2017

$0 cost? There's some cost. You usually gotta pay more to pay less.
I like the friendship vibration you described there. Takes the edge off. Helps the music process.
Very nice.

I don't want to give the impression that "purchasing" is the wAy to go. more like, if you do it wrong, you'll do it trice...

I have 2 ikea tables $2.. Most have $500-1000 desks.
1 ultimate stand $2 - keys, 1 mic stand $2 , 2 laptop stands 2x$1 and a wall rack for storage.
Add I Ergo-arm $2, and two fold out gator GFW's 2x$1, and I'm set.

8 years - less than $1200. Not bad, I'd say.... (Not including my ch-Aeron.)
Just replaced my 2001 axiom. btw... Had it since 2008. 'Fore that, cheap Yam PSR.

I labored with the P1, In The end, I felt like I was chasing the knobs and screen.
Buzz kill.

Happy to be your Devil's Advocate. I don't want that P1 to fall over.
Nothing beats DIY.
Kombucha wrote:Hang on, how did a $0 cost DIY project blow out to a $1,000 stand and controller upgrade !? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's really been no effort at all to do this little project, in fact it was a lot of fun, since me and my housemate spent the day planning and building while drinking, smoking and listening to vibes. And there's a certain satisfaction with DIY that no amount of purchasing can replicate.

Plus I already have a 61 key controller as well as the P1 (and a heavy duty double brace keyboard stand which double as a DIY project workbench) , and that is sufficient since I rarely use the keyboard. I have to say though that having motorized faders on the P1 would have been nice, but no big deal, I'll use what I've already got.

There *is* an unexpected change in the project's outcome that I think is a most adequate solution to get me more 'hands on' the tactile control parameters and will help me to engage with the hardware a lot more. I'll work out my rubber feet in the next few days and post some pics.

Seriously impressed by your gear though. Especially that Maschine/Roland stand you posted earlier. That thing is a beast.

• Information