Ableton Push and other grid style performance methods

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chimp_spanner

10 May 2017

Hey everyone! So my girlfriend and I are having thoughts to taking an electronic project of ours live, and it seems everywhere I look people are using either Push, or MPC/Maschine style controllers and I can't for the life of me figure out what they're doing; all I see is squares and colours haha.

So does anyone here use them? What are the advantages over traditional controllers? To what extent is it "live"?

Ideally I'm imagining a mix of clip triggering and live (scale quantised?) input, tweaking certain lead instrument or master effect parameters. I'd love to hear how you guys are doing this kind of thing!

Thanks in advance!

etyrnal

10 May 2017

When you say scale quantized, are you basically saying that all you want to do is just move your hands around randomly and the surface will convert it into actual usable music?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Catblack

10 May 2017

I use a Launchpad Pro with a custom note and scale codec that I wrote. I bought it because I wanted something with pads and colors that my baby could play with. And programmable with velocity sensitivity. I more than got my money's worth for the amount of time I've put into it. But it was sort of an impulse buy.

I was really disappointed at the whole workflow of clip launching the way most people use grid controllers. And most of the note/scale modes for grid controllers are difficult to understand. So I did a lot of thinking and rewriting and I'm pretty proud of what I've made.

Maybe I'll finish it this year, but I'm usually having too much fun playing it to work on the codec.

If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

demt

11 May 2017

Look up the grid64g rack extension and in reason it'll tell you what to do with your Novation launchpad push etc a good set up is novation launchpad nectar panorama P1 and grid64g
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

xbitz

11 May 2017

should check the

30 Days of Ableton Push series, it covers every aspect of the original Push hardware
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

xbitz

11 May 2017

the biggest advantage of (beside the clip launching) it is the fix chord pattern grid

the chord shapes can be used on every scale with fix/same positions vs the piano for ex. where it's bit trickier(especially the inversions) because of the different pitch offsets
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

JacobiusWrex

20 Jun 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Hey everyone! So my girlfriend and I are having thoughts to taking an electronic project of ours live, and it seems everywhere I look people are using either Push, or MPC/Maschine style controllers and I can't for the life of me figure out what they're doing; all I see is squares and colours haha.

So does anyone here use them? What are the advantages over traditional controllers? To what extent is it "live"?

Ideally I'm imagining a mix of clip triggering and live (scale quantised?) input, tweaking certain lead instrument or master effect parameters. I'd love to hear how you guys are doing this kind of thing!

Thanks in advance!
Basically ableton push controllers deeply integrate with ableton live, and maschine controllers deeply integrate with the Maschine software(usually sold separately from the Maschine hardware). These are software programs you have to learn how to use and are pretty deep.

At the moment, the only integration of those devices into reason is by the company "retouch" , they have codecs available in the shop for controlling all the popular grid controllers.

With the new Vst support, you should be able to bypass the retouch codec for Maschine hardware though, because you can run Maschine software as a vst now!

If you go the push/ableton route, I would probably look into learning ableton, and running reason in rewire.

I have been messing with creating my own workflows using this badass program called Bome MIDI translator.
I don't really have anything available for you to try cuz it's pretty complicated, but you can skim over some long videos of me explaining it if you're interested haha.

New version

Old version

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• Information