Anybody using Boom 2 for Mac?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

24 Apr 2017

I have now moved from using a 2008 MacBook Pro (with speakers on side of the keyboard) to using a MacBook Air (with speakers under the keyboard). The sound quality is ok, but I know it can be better with some EQ'ing. I find I can quickly get a better result within Reason throwing EQ's in the Master Section. I'd like to use something that makes an adjustment (and I can further adjust) across the system.

This isn't for mixing. But I just want to have a better sound when writing/jamming on-the-go. As well as for listening to music and movies and audio in general.

I came across Boom 2. Anybody using it? Any cons to installing it?
Anything similar others are using?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boom-2- ... 6063?mt=12

QVprod

24 Apr 2017

I have both Boom and Boom 2. I'm still on Mavericks though so I'm using the original Boom though. Works well with getting more volume and bass out of your speakers. Just remember to turn it off when you plug your audio interface in. It'll boost that volume too.

joeyluck

24 Apr 2017

QVprod wrote:I have both Boom and Boom 2. I'm still on Mavericks though so I'm using the original Boom though. Works well with getting more volume and bass out of your speakers. Just remember to turn it off when you plug your audio interface in. It'll boost that volume too.
Cool. Thanks!
And thanks for the warning as well :thumbs_up:

joeyluck

24 Apr 2017

Works great!

Actually, switching interfaces shouldn't be an issue. Maybe it's handled differently with version 2?
But when I was using Reason, I noticed there was no change in the sound. Then realized I had to choose 'Boom2Device' as the Audio Device.

QVprod

24 Apr 2017

It could be that Boom 2 is different. Got forced into buying it when I initially upgraded to Yosemite as Boom isn't compatible. I ended up reverting back to Mavericks though and haven't upgraded since.

joeyluck

25 Apr 2017

QVprod wrote:It could be that Boom 2 is different. Got forced into buying it when I initially upgraded to Yosemite as Boom isn't compatible. I ended up reverting back to Mavericks though and haven't upgraded since.
Unfortunately, I do notice some additional latency. Although, Reason tells me the output latency is less than the same settings when using the built-in output. But I guess maybe the latency shown when 'Boom2Device' is selected is in addition to what the built-in output latency is?

QVprod

25 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:
QVprod wrote:It could be that Boom 2 is different. Got forced into buying it when I initially upgraded to Yosemite as Boom isn't compatible. I ended up reverting back to Mavericks though and haven't upgraded since.
Unfortunately, I do notice some additional latency. Although, Reason tells me the output latency is less than the same settings when using the built-in output. But I guess maybe the latency shown when 'Boom2Device' is selected is in addition to what the built-in output latency is?
I believe so as it just routes the internal audio to it's processing.

Last Alternative

26 Apr 2017

This is hardly related but I was disappointed the other day to find out Sierra doesn't have a simple 3 band EQ for the built in iMac speakers. Sent Apple a request. It's pretty muddy.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

joeyluck

26 Apr 2017

Last Alternative wrote:This is hardly related but I was disappointed the other day to find out Sierra doesn't have a simple 3 band EQ for the built in iMac speakers. Sent Apple a request. It's pretty muddy.
Yeah this is my first experience with other Mac speakers that needed a little help. My 2008 MacBook Pro's speakers were great and before that, my Powermac G4 Cube had USB speakers. Boom 2 works great.

joeyluck

03 May 2017

I noticed my battery life on my MacBook Air had dropped. Realized that Boom 2 might be the culprit...
So I'm just going to be sure to use it on an as-needed basis. I had it on all the time before.

• Information