Looking for Audio Interface recommendations

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
sugarfysh

23 Apr 2017

I'm getting back into Reason after a few years. I had an MBox II, but that turned out to be too budget for my needs.

My budget runs from $250 to $999. I plan to use a MacMini in my setup. Anything with a reasonable amount of inputs, though 8 seems about right. I'll be using a number of external synths/modules in my setup.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand/interface, and tell me why.

ejanuska

24 Apr 2017

I've been shopping also.
I like MOTU Ultralite Mk4 since the outputs can be used as CV outs for software that supports it, such as Reaktor.

Gorgon

24 Apr 2017

You should probably keep in mind that Loopback is an AWESOME feature to have. Other than that, you seem to have the budget for a good interface. I have a Focusrite (with loopback, which means that you can route audio from one DAW to another with practically zero latency) and I'm insanely happy with it. Even though I had to use a PCI FireWire card in my new PC since FireWire isn't on motherboards anymore. But it works and it kicks like a mule.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

sugarfysh

25 Apr 2017

I definitely like what I've read about FocusRite's products. I'm stuck between the Scarlett 18i20 (2nd Gen) (which is USB 2.0) and the Saffire Pro 40 Professional 20 In/20 (which is Firewire, and has the loopback feature). I also like that it has independent power and isn't powered via USB.

Anyone want to weigh in on which may be better?

abeonis

25 Apr 2017

It seems I am in sync. I want to change my Audio card and identified my perfect fit: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. Specially because it has Loopback, the goal beeing to use Reason with Massive standalone. I tried many virtual cables with no success so far and it seems so easy with loopback.

The problem with this card is Firewire instead of USB. Is there some interface to connect Frewire to USB on PC tested with Reason? Is there any other card supporting Loopback on PC for less than 200 $/€?

Alternatively is there a DETAILED tutorial to connect Reason and Massive on PC using a virtual cable?

Thanks.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

Last Alternative

25 Apr 2017

Apollo twin!
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

abeonis

25 Apr 2017

The Apollo Twin is too expensive (overdimensioned) for my needs. BTW, I just noticed my laptop has a firewire input ;-)
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

Gorgon

25 Apr 2017

abeonis wrote:It seems I am in sync. I want to change my Audio card and identified my perfect fit: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. Specially because it has Loopback, the goal beeing to use Reason with Massive standalone. I tried many virtual cables with no success so far and it seems so easy with loopback.
I have that exact interface, and it's great.
The problem with this card is Firewire instead of USB. Is there some interface to connect Frewire to USB on PC tested with Reason?
Nope, there isn't. It's real shitty that FW got dropped so quickly. I can't connect my Saffire to my laptop. Oh well, I got a Balance to fix that. Don't need the loopback on my laptop anyway.
Is there any other card supporting Loopback on PC for less than 200 $/€?
Not that I know of.

Did some looking around, it seems that no Focusrite USB interfaces support the Loopback feature. Either FW or Thunderbolt.

Maybe this thread is of use: viewtopic.php?t=7366415
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

abeonis

25 Apr 2017

Many thanks Gorgon for your feedback.

sugarfysh

25 Apr 2017

Indeed. Thank you, Gorgon. Your input was most helpful.

Gorgon

25 Apr 2017

You're welcome! :)

FlowerSoldier

26 Apr 2017

Last Alternative wrote:Apollo twin!
Apollo FTW! Also, the RME systems seem really dependable too. My computer has Thunderbolt, but if it didn't, I would've gone for an RME model.

QuantumHarmonics

01 May 2017

After trying alot of different audiocards and interfaces i stick with RME for it's quality driver support, converters and great latency!
I use an internal RME HDSPe AIO card on pci-express but the newer external models are just as great.
Though internal is still tighter latency.

ejanuska

03 May 2017

Gorgon wrote:
abeonis wrote:It seems I am in sync. I want to change my Audio card and identified my perfect fit: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. Specially because it has Loopback, the goal beeing to use Reason with Massive standalone. I tried many virtual cables with no success so far and it seems so easy with loopback.
I have that exact interface, and it's great.
The problem with this card is Firewire instead of USB. Is there some interface to connect Frewire to USB on PC tested with Reason?
Nope, there isn't. It's real shitty that FW got dropped so quickly. I can't connect my Saffire to my laptop. Oh well, I got a Balance to fix that. Don't need the loopback on my laptop anyway.
Is there any other card supporting Loopback on PC for less than 200 $/€?
Not that I know of.

Did some looking around, it seems that no Focusrite USB interfaces support the Loopback feature. Either FW or Thunderbolt.

Maybe this thread is of use: viewtopic.php?t=7366415
Do the Focusrite interfaces support DC Coupled interface.. This: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ontroller/

Redster

04 May 2017

I upgraded from the Focusrite 18i8 to an RME Babyface Pro and really the difference between the FR and the RME was like listening through a plasterboard wall.

The drivers are rock solid on the RME and are really well supported. The FR drivers (and in particular firmware updates) are always a pain.

RME latency is silly fast with a round trip (that's in and out) of 7ms in total and stable (256samples at 48khz), which is frankly incredible for a USB device.

I also avoid Firewire generally, its obsolete and causes issues with power-down on some devices.

Finally if you have that kind of budget don't scrimp and save. Get an RME device - you'll never need another interface.

pedrocaetanos

04 May 2017

Audient!

https://audient.com/
Audient is fantastic.
Above Scarlett/Saffire, I'd say at Clarett level (or even better).
Audient iD14 interface plus an Audient ASP800 pre will give you:
- 10 inputs
- all of them with top notch mic pre's
- 3 of them, instrument DI
- 2 of them with transformer and/or harmonics for retro tube/tape/transformer

iD14 together with ASP800 will total a price around your upper level.
One alternative cheaper solution is to get the iD14 and a cheap Focusrite 8-channel pre.
(those pre's are lower quality than Audient. Audient uses the same pre's in all products, from the smaller interface to the top mixing console)
You will get 2 HiQual ins + 8 MidQual ins.

I upgraded from Roland UA, and final "contestants" were Focusrite and Audient.
Got the iD14 and couldn't be happier.
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

O1B

04 May 2017

"The OTO BISCUIT 8-bit Effects plug-in for UAD-2 and Apollo interfaces"

I get the Apollo part, but does anyone know what others "satisfy" the UAD-2 thing? RME, Apogee, both, neither...
Also, consider :
Roland Studio Capture. A beauty, with VUs and such. Downside is USB-2, but it seems the workhorse.

Behringer XR-18. Records Great!
OS, iOS, Andriod, PC, Mac, Linux, it's the Move....
Downside: Ipad/Mac Control in lieu of onboard VU and such. USB-2.

Jchop76

04 May 2017

Anyone using the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK or perhaps the Allen and heath zed 12fx

O1B

04 May 2017

UFX1204 MULTI CHANNEL audio interface - vs stereo channel on the SOundcraft/zed 12fx. I use this one.
When just mixing tracks to get a feel for the energy, these kinds of mixers are effective.

Just picked up my first DJ mixer: the Xone 23C. High and Low Pass WITH REZ. that's special.
4 channel USB audio in . Sweet EQ curves. nice with CDJs.
I'm very happy with it.

FEATURES
2+2 channels with dual phono/line inputs
VCF Filter system – low-pass + high-pass filters plus frequency and resonance controls
3-band true total kill EQ
External FX loop
Mic input on balanced XLR, with 2-band EQ
Balanced main mix out on XLR
Independent booth out
Record out
3.5mm and 1/4″ headphone outputs

Touring grade build quality
Super smooth VCA channel faders
User changeable crossfader
Innofader compatible
Crossfader curve switch
20dB pro standard headroom
Ultra low distortion
2mm Steel face plate
9-segment signal level monitoring
Jchop76 wrote:Anyone using the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK or perhaps the Allen and heath zed 12fx

Jchop76

05 May 2017

Nice to see another analog mixer user.

I'm really deciding to buy the soundcraft 22mtk.

I wonder if this will work with Reason? I like the idea of using the mixer in a hybrid way with Reason. Will it work?

demt

05 May 2017

You've got to be careful with sum multi channel audio interfaces like the last two shown because although they swear blind that they have usb interface they won't work on any DAW that uses asio
Witch is all of them apart from the chopped cheap beginners version the cut down version of the real thing
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

O1B

05 May 2017

On a Mac.
I use my uFx1204 with Reason exclusively. Behringers work like a charm.
And, remember, it's mutli channel with channel 4 mono, 4 stereo, 13/14 as Fx returns. 15/16: master stereo.
Same for the XR-18 and the Xone. Both work flawlessly.
Can't speak for PC, but why wouldn't it work?

I have never tried Soundcraft - or the Zed.
demt wrote:You've got to be careful with sum multi channel audio interfaces like the last two shown because although they swear blind that they have usb interface they won't work on any DAW that uses asio
Witch is all of them apart from the chopped cheap beginners version the cut down version of the real thing

Jchop76

05 May 2017

demt wrote:You've got to be careful with sum multi channel audio interfaces like the last two shown because although they swear blind that they have usb interface they won't work on any DAW that uses asio

I'm unclear to what you mean. Are you referring to the soundcraft 22mtk? The usb is class clompliant 24 in 22 out and uses Asio. Why wouldn't it work with Reason? Or am I misunderstanding you?

demt

10 May 2017

Can't remember the exact piece of kit isle check maplins out 1 more time,as it was the only usb compliant multiple input machine they had I thought it applied to the whole genre,seems I'm wrong
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

bpmorton

10 May 2017

I've been thinking of getting a new interface lately and had one concern: I use the interface all day every day with headphones plugged in for basic computer audio usage. Would the 2i2 or even 6i6 be OK for this situation?

• Information