Kawai K4 not talking to Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
drdave

21 Apr 2017

Hi folks

Been trying to use my Kawai K4 wth Reason (v9.2.2d1) after creating the External Midi Instrument set to Midi Ch1, trying different control surfaces, currently using Akai MPK261. On the K4 I set System/Transmit, Midi Ch1

I get no midi activity at all in Reason, no sound, nothing. Thinking it might be a matter of trying other Control Surfaces or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help folks

Gorgon

21 Apr 2017

drdave wrote:Hi folks

Been trying to use my Kawai K4 wth Reason (v9.2.2d1) after creating the External Midi Instrument set to Midi Ch1, trying different control surfaces, currently using Akai MPK261. On the K4 I set System/Transmit, Midi Ch1
Shouldn't that be System/Receive? I'm assuming that the K4 should receive the notes.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

drdave

21 Apr 2017

Did try that as well. Negative.

Thanks

Gorgon

21 Apr 2017

drdave wrote:Did try that as well. Negative.

Thanks
So wait. If you get no midi activity in Reason there's something wrong with the control surface.

But what happens if you just put some notes in the sequencer? Or use a Matrix?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

bitley

21 Apr 2017

Funny coincidence.

K4 talking from reason! ;)

drdave

22 Apr 2017

I do get the midi activity light after all. I think the problem is with my Laptop Dell XPS L521X which only comes with two headphones output. I need to figure out (I've heard) how to let one of those outputs play my keyboard input to get the audio going.
I already created the Audio Track in Reason just no sound.

Gorgon

23 Apr 2017

drdave wrote:I do get the midi activity light after all. I think the problem is with my Laptop Dell XPS L521X which only comes with two headphones output. I need to figure out (I've heard) how to let one of those outputs play my keyboard input to get the audio going.
Sounds to me like you have absolutely no idea what you're doing.

drdave

23 Apr 2017

Because you do not know the answer is NO reason to be disrespectful.

I started out with a midi issue and went to an audio issue but apparently you know absolutely nothing about Reason or you would have picked up on that.

Besides who with the proper knowledge will ever end a conversation like that?

Reply all you want but I do not deal with such ignorance. I am done.

Olivier

23 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
drdave wrote:I do get the midi activity light after all. I think the problem is with my Laptop Dell XPS L521X which only comes with two headphones output. I need to figure out (I've heard) how to let one of those outputs play my keyboard input to get the audio going.
Sounds to me like you have absolutely no idea what you're doing.
And this is helpfull how ? (nevermind, don't answer it)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Olivier

23 Apr 2017

drdave wrote:Hi folks

I get no midi activity at all in Reason, no sound, nothing. Thinking it might be a matter of trying other Control Surfaces or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help folks
Lets clear this up a bit.

@drdave, can you confirm that what you are trying to accomplish is this:

- Use the K4 as a keyboard to input midi notes into reason
- Send midi signals back into the K4 so the K4 creates the sounds
- Record the sound from the k4 in Reason
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

• Information