HARDWARE + SOFTWARE that pairs well with Reason?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
caio_ferreira

31 Mar 2017

Hey guys,

So, I have been using for a while now - mostly as a hobby - and I am pretty happy with it as a standalone tool. Thus far, I haven't used anything but reason itself to make my music (except for an old midi controller that needs to be replaced, more on that later).

The bottom line is: I want to invest in a couple of new tools, but I get easily overwhelmed with the amount of stuff out there and thought I should ask for tips on things that are useful to buy. I need a new midi controller, but if there's any other piece of hardware you feel makes using Reason that much more fun, I'm all ears.

I naturally would prefer things to be as affordable as possible (especially the midi controller), but don't hesitate to suggest more pricey things if you really think they are worth it.

Thanks!

Catblack

31 Mar 2017

The best thing you can buy are a pair of good studio monitors. (Providing you have an audio interface that has balanced outputs.)
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

raymondh

31 Mar 2017

Catblack wrote:The best thing you can buy are a pair of good studio monitors. (Providing you have an audio interface that has balanced outputs.)
agreed.

And if you are a keyboard player, a nice action keyboard that is fun to play. You want your setup to feel like you're playing an instrument, not a computer.

Catblack

01 Apr 2017

caio_ferreira wrote:Hey guys,

So, I have been using for a while now - mostly as a hobby - and I am pretty happy with it as a standalone tool. Thus far, I haven't used anything but reason itself to make my music (except for an old midi controller that needs to be replaced, more on that later).

The bottom line is: I want to invest in a couple of new tools, but I get easily overwhelmed with the amount of stuff out there and thought I should ask for tips on things that are useful to buy. I need a new midi controller, but if there's any other piece of hardware you feel makes using Reason that much more fun, I'm all ears.

I naturally would prefer things to be as affordable as possible (especially the midi controller), but don't hesitate to suggest more pricey things if you really think they are worth it.

Thanks!
I didn't want you to think I was blowing you off, but it's very easy to lust after midi controllers you can't afford. I'd suggest looking around for a good keyboard that's got pads and dials and then looking around to get it cheap and used. Then you can get over wanting something fancy for a while and focus on making music. I say this as someone who has 5 controllers sitting in front of me, but only 3 are hooked up right now.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

O1B

01 Apr 2017

caio_ferreira,

what is your midi controller budget?
What instrument(s) do you play? will you add other instrumentals to your repertoire?
While I'm with CatBlack on Pads and Dials, there's also Faders, Touch/XY-pads, Pitch and Mod Wheels, ... D-beams, etc.

There is no Push for reason, unfortunately. However, there are plenty of Houses that works well with Reason.

Novation Launchkey ... hmmm... $200... nice place to start.

It's really never-ending. Good luck choosing.
And about buying a MIDI controller USED?? Not unless i get Ebay or Reverb.com guarantees of satisfaction.
Catblack wrote:it's very easy to lust after midi controllers you can't afford. I'd suggest looking around for a good keyboard that's got pads and dials and then looking around to get it cheap and used.

Then you can get over wanting something fancy for a while and focus on making music. I say this as someone who has 5 controllers sitting in front of me, but only 3 are hooked up right now.

lzap

02 Apr 2017

If money is the issue, buy good headphones instead.

O1B

02 Apr 2017

He still would need HW and SW "that pairs well with Reason"
lzap wrote:If money is the issue, buy good headphones instead.
That Launchkey, with a nektar P1, nice start at @$500.
i'd still want one of these:

Coming Soon: Midi Fighter 64

Gorgon

02 Apr 2017

O1B wrote: There is no Push for reason, unfortunately.
But there is PusheR for Push, and Reason.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

O1B

02 Apr 2017

Thanks for that! Tap Tempo. Nice.
I'll look into it. @$800... It might be a bit much having the P1, but that's pretty freakin' cool.

That kills the midi fighter 64... Maybe.

Gorgon wrote:
O1B wrote: There is no Push for reason, unfortunately.
But there is PusheR for Push, and Reason.

ejanuska

10 Apr 2017

If you do get an Akai controller like the MPK249, make sure you don't get one with 12 pads.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2017

Nektar for integration...

Depending on budget you have a choice of the P series (very integrated more expensive) or the Impact LX range (cheaper still nicely integrated).

http://www.nektartech.com/products.html

Stryker 17

07 Jul 2017

Got the op1 had the mpx8 that was okay but I'm a total noob when it comes to new hardware the last real piece of equipment i had was a ensoniq Eps with expansion after that it's been software, haven't paired up with reason yet going to check it out, been banging out beats with the op standalone ,anyone have some pointers?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Stryker 17

08 Jul 2017

Op1 teenage engineering works with abelton and reason says so at the website .

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

AttenuationHz

10 Jul 2017

Bought Adam f5's a few months ago perfect for my 10x9 room. A nectar P1 is on the way. Next thing I want to get is some semi modular or modular gear was looking at a Moog Mother 32 but might go for a Drum Brute instead. Think some acoustic treatment is in order first though.

For anyone else thinking of a controller. I was going to purchase an AKAI midimix <€100 or a Novation Launch Control xl €150 then I read the Nektar P1 manual €250 I was sold and amazed. The launch control xl has pretty good reason integration many remote maps for it but the P1 takes it above and beyond no need to even use your mouse much. I do most of my sequencing within reason with CV. Only use the midi keyboard for pads really or getting a melody or idea down roughly so the nektar keyboard would not get used too much so the P1 was perfect.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information