Why won't they talk?!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Rowester1910

20 Mar 2017

Hey,

A definite noob question here, but hoping someone can help. Recently purchased Reason 9. Recorded some piano via an old Novation ReMote61 with no problems. Just upgraded this controller to a Novation Launchkey61. I had to manually enter this control surface into Reason (it didn't automatically detect it), and the buttons and sliders work ok (i can change volume, stop/play track, etc). However there's no sound or apparent midi signal when I play the keys. I've devoured the help sections on Reason and Novation and cannot find the answer. Any advice?

Cheers, Ian

Rowester1910

20 Mar 2017

**UPDATE** I deleted the Novation Launchkey61 controller surface in PREFERENCES. I then added 'other' Midi control keyboard.

This now means that the keys are working. Woohooooo.

However, now none of the buttons or sliders work!

Any thoughts on how I can get both parts of the controller keyboard to work?

artotaku

20 Mar 2017

I have a Launchkey 49 and I had to add two control surfaces which use different MIDI ports. When the Launchkey is connected to USB port the first time, two MIDI ports are installed, one is for the keyboard the other for InControl Mode.

So you´d need to add these surfaces:
- Launchkey 61 InControl
- Launchkey Keyboard

The first is for controlling knobs, buttons and faders in InControl Mode (the InControl Mode is lit up). It does not support controlling the keyboard.
The second is for controlling just the keyboard nothing else.

gak

21 Mar 2017

artotaku is onto something. Also, check this out.

https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en ... ason-Setup

Rkfire

27 Jan 2018

artotaku wrote:
20 Mar 2017
I have a Launchkey 49 and I had to add two control surfaces which use different MIDI ports. When the Launchkey is connected to USB port the first time, two MIDI ports are installed, one is for the keyboard the other for InControl Mode.

So you´d need to add these surfaces:
- Launchkey 61 InControl
- Launchkey Keyboard

The first is for controlling knobs, buttons and faders in InControl Mode (the InControl Mode is lit up). It does not support controlling the keyboard.
The second is for controlling just the keyboard nothing else.

Great advice.
This is a complicated process for a newbie. I have a launchkey 49, followed your instructions by adding 2 surfaces and bingo things are working. Currently playing around with Maelstrom, NN19 etc. My question is, if I create another device, such as Redrum, the control immediately switches to Redrum and there is no control to the other Instrument. My intention is to control synths etc with the launchkey, and "run" a drum track in the background for timing etc. Is this possible?

Thanks

artotaku

28 Jan 2018

Rkfire wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Great advice.
This is a complicated process for a newbie. I have a launchkey 49, followed your instructions by adding 2 surfaces and bingo things are working. Currently playing around with Maelstrom, NN19 etc. My question is, if I create another device, such as Redrum, the control immediately switches to Redrum and there is no control to the other Instrument. My intention is to control synths etc with the launchkey, and "run" a drum track in the background for timing etc. Is this possible?

Thanks
Per default, a surface controls the device of which the midi track in the sequencer is selected. When the selection changes to a midi track of another instrument the surface controls that instrument. There is another option to lock a surface to a certain device (right click on device and in popup menu select Lock ...).

If you just want to exclude the Redrum from to be controlled by a surface you simple delete its midi track but keep the device in the rack.
Downside is that you cannot have any notes or pattern change data send to the Redrum from a midi track anymore. A workaround would be to use Redrums internal step sequencer instead.

Rkfire

10 Feb 2018

Awesome.
TYVM

• Information