Issue with MDP218 & Reason - Video included

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
TheGreatRapsBeat

07 Feb 2017

Hey Guys,
First off, I'm new here so Hello! Second I am also new to the later versions of Reason. I have recently started using Reason 9, but prior to that I haven't used reason since Reason 5. So I have a bit to learn. I currently have a MPD218 and an Oxygen 25 4th gen. The Oxygen works well as it should and how most people have reported. But my MPD on the other hand... not so much. Everywhere I look people report how awesome it works in Kong.

I've followed the manual, followed youtube videos, I've searched in countless forums and on Reddit to no avail. So here I am. 1 - I set it up as a generic device. When I go to "find" a port to use I hit a pad and it comes up MPD218 Port A. Great? Not so much. Pads 1-3 don't trigger anything. Pad 4 triggers Pad 1 in Kong Drum Designer. Pad 3 triggers Pad 6 and so on. I've attempted to Map the controller in the MPD editor to no avail as well. Anyone have any insight as to what I can do to solve my issues? Other then spending $800 on a Nektar which seems to also be a common consensus. Below is a link to a youtube video I just shot showing my issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5hwI8gZVQA

-008'

07 Feb 2017

Did you install the "MPD 218 Editor" ? Thats what it takes to fix it, IIRC.

Just
1. open that MPD Editor app, and
2. change the preset of the MPD from the default 1 to Preset 5 .

NOTE: dont forget to send that loaded preset from the app to the actual MPD!!

SOMETHING like that... lol I mean, it could be preset #10 or 3 or 7, but this is the method that will fix you up.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

SoulState

07 Feb 2017

Can't figure out why you're having issues with your MPD.
I bought one a few months ago...Reason's Kong works with it perfectly.
I'll have a look at my Kong / MPD setup, see if I can workout where you're going wrong.

Btw. Can't remember doing any of the editor stuff 008 did, it just worked!
Last edited by SoulState on 07 Feb 2017, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

artotaku

07 Feb 2017

I have no MPD218 but I may give you some suggestions. As 008 pointed out, maybe there is a preset that maps the notes for the pads correctly, so first check that.

If there isn´t any preset you can do the following:
Check http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason9/Ma ... _Chart.pdf and search for Kong column in the table.
You´ll then see which which MIDI notes trigger which pad on Kong.

Now open the MPD218 Editor and set the correct MIDI notes for each pad.
Unfortunately, the MPD218 is not natively supported by a Remote Codec, so bank switching will not work, so you´d suffice with 1 Bank for pads and knobs.

artotaku

07 Feb 2017

I have no MPD218 but I may give you some suggestions. As 008 pointed out, maybe there is a preset that maps the notes for the pads correctly, so first check that.

If there isn´t any preset you can do the following:
Check http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason9/Ma ... _Chart.pdf and search for Kong column in the table.
You´ll then see which which MIDI notes trigger which pad on Kong.

Now open the MPD218 Editor and set the correct MIDI notes for each pad.
Unfortunately, the MPD218 is not natively supported by a specific Remote Codec from the manufacturer, so bank switching may not work, so you´d suffice with 1 Bank for pads and knobs.

TheGreatRapsBeat

07 Feb 2017

Just want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I'm not at my studio desk right now, but as soon as I am able to I am going to be looking into this further. Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it worked!

XysteR

08 Feb 2017

I done a YouTube video for this last year. If you can wade through my bullshite you should hopefully find some use from it.

IIRC this was the simplest device I've ever set up in Reason.

TheGreatRapsBeat

09 Feb 2017

XysteR wrote:I done a YouTube video for this last year. If you can wade through my bullshite you should hopefully find some use from it.

I actually found your video before posting mine with my question. I followed the instructions and still a no go. What I show you in Reason in he video I linked to my post is what happened when I followed your instructions.

XysteR

09 Feb 2017

TheGreatRapsBeat wrote:
XysteR wrote:I done a YouTube video for this last year. If you can wade through my bullshite you should hopefully find some use from it.

I actually found your video before posting mine with my question. I followed the instructions and still a no go. What I show you in Reason in he video I linked to my post is what happened when I followed your instructions.
Very strange indeed. I mean I even removed the device and added it again in prefs/control surfaces. From new, all I done was take the unit out of it's box, plugged in the USB, ran Reason, added the device as per my video and it just worked - the pads all worked in perfect alignment to Kong too. I think maybe you enabled a different profile on the device somehow, or maybe you installed the Akai software. I have no clue, it just worked perfectly for me.

skie

18 Mar 2017

Just picked one up today and it is everything I was hoping for. No ghost notes for me. I was however hoping the pads would light up when playing back my sequence, is there any way to get Reason to send the midi data back to the MPD218 so that the pads light up on playback? That would be great. Other than that I love this thing.

Longmang

26 Sep 2018

I stumbled across this post whilst looking to fix my MPD218 with Reason. In the end it was relatively straight forward.

Press and hold Prog Select on the MPD218, one of the pads will light up. For me it was 5 and I had to press Pad 1 whilst holding down the Prog Select. Then everything was good.

botnotbot

26 Sep 2018

skie wrote:
18 Mar 2017
Just picked one up today and it is everything I was hoping for. No ghost notes for me. I was however hoping the pads would light up when playing back my sequence, is there any way to get Reason to send the midi data back to the MPD218 so that the pads light up on playback? That would be great. Other than that I love this thing.
I think that would require a dedicated remote codec. The MPD218 could be a good candidate for a remote codec actually..

But I already bought the first gen MPD32 and it is pretty much useless with regards to a remote codec because the connection is unidirectional (all input, at least with regards to updating things like button values). The LCD screen would be so cool, if only it could be programmed...

So I'll give Akai the space to have screwed it up again this time ;)

artotaku

26 Sep 2018

botnotbot wrote:
26 Sep 2018
I think that would require a dedicated remote codec. The MPD218 could be a good candidate for a remote codec actually..

But I already bought the first gen MPD32 and it is pretty much useless with regards to a remote codec because the connection is unidirectional (all input, at least with regards to updating things like button values). The LCD screen would be so cool, if only it could be programmed...

So I'll give Akai the space to have screwed it up again this time ;)
That´s quite typical with Akai controllers.
The Ableton enabled ones such as APC40 MK2 are bidirectional and can be fully programmed with remote codec.
The other ones lack that features.

• Information