New 5" monitor recommendations

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Palmeira

16 Dec 2016

Looks like My ALP5's may be crapping out on me just in time for me to ask Santa for suitable replacements/upgrades.

Any suggestions from you cool people out there? I have a small space (hence the 5" thing) and produce a little bit of Liquid DnB but mostly deep vocal house.

Cheers

Aiden

jayhosking

16 Dec 2016

Hey Aiden,

It depends on what you're looking for out of your monitors, but if you want a fair/brutally honest set of speakers for mixing, I'd recommend the Yamaha HS series (so the HS5s in your 5" example). I could be wrong, but they seem to be the spiritual successor to the old NS-10s that were in virtually every studio I learned in, and deserve the old adage that went with the NS-10s: If you can make your mix sound good on them, it'll sound good on everything.

In combination to listening with good cans, earbuds, my laptop speakers, my car, etc., I find my HSs to be awesome for making music.

If you're looking for speakers that are more generous, and thus less for mixing, then maybe somebody else has some ideas.

Best of luck!

Palmeira

16 Dec 2016

Cheers mate those Yamaha's are definitely on my list. Had to work really hard to make stuff from the ALP5's translate to other systems so the HS5's could be right up my street!

Nice one

Aiden

Olivier

16 Dec 2016

What's your budget ?
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

MitchClark89

17 Dec 2016

jayhosking wrote:Hey Aiden,

It depends on what you're looking for out of your monitors, but if you want a fair/brutally honest set of speakers for mixing, I'd recommend the Yamaha HS series (so the HS5s in your 5" example). I could be wrong, but they seem to be the spiritual successor to the old NS-10s that were in virtually every studio I learned in, and deserve the old adage that went with the NS-10s: If you can make your mix sound good on them, it'll sound good on everything.

In combination to listening with good cans, earbuds, my laptop speakers, my car, etc., I find my HSs to be awesome for making music.

If you're looking for speakers that are more generous, and thus less for mixing, then maybe somebody else has some ideas.

Best of luck!
wow they are quite cheap! my right channel behringer 2030A mid just blowed up about 5minute ago..it has been on the way out for a few months now and i was hoping to get more time from it since xmas has spent all our money on the kids! :shock: i will check these out thank u for the tip even though it was not meant for me :mrgreen:

jayhosking

17 Dec 2016

Hey, my pleasure. Hope they work out for you! Like I said, be ready for some painfully honest monitors! (Which is good for mixing.)

Palmeira

17 Dec 2016

Cheers Guys,

I was thinking of spending between 200-300 pounds so the HS5's look like a good bet. I managed to "fix" my APL-5's by unplugging them and swapping the side of the desk they are on and in doing so I think the connections inside must have had a bit of a shake up (I was planning to get inside them and get busy with some WD-40 which aint easy cos of the way they are put together). Unfortunately in doing so I managed to put my finger through one of the woofers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now my fixed monitors definitely need replacing.

And now I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas.

Happy days!

FlowerSoldier

19 Dec 2016

My Good Buddy has the HS-5s. If you can save up for the HS-7s, it might be a better bet. You can attenuate the bass response to fit your room. He's saving up for the subwoofer now :/

jayhosking

19 Dec 2016

Yeah, I recommended the 5s only because the OP said that was their maximum size. I have the 7s and really like them.

Palmeira

19 Dec 2016

I'd love to have enough room for the 7's but I went and had kids!

C//AZM

21 Dec 2016

Check out the JBL LSR305 with the sub JBL LSR310S. I was impressed with their sound. I haven't really done any real world testing of them other than hearing them in a friends studio alongside some Genelec 1031As.

Palmeira

30 Dec 2016

So first I listened to the sounds in this set of monitor reviews (using 2 sets of headphones and my ALP5's) after reading about the way they set the review up (sorry can't find the original article but it was logical and sensible)..

and I was like

RP5 - UGH that bass is minging
Adam F5 - UGH the whole sound is just minging (which is a surprise) sounds like the review audio was recorded in a cardboard box
Presonus Eris E5 - hmmm pretty flat sounding touch of harshness in the mids but otherwise interesting
JBL LSR305 - harsh mids - ouch
HS5 - bass? What Bass??
HS7 - pretty flat sounding (not much in the way of bass) not quite as up-front as the E5's and initially the E5's sound better but that may be because of their more forward nature
HS8 - Nice but big and expensive given my budget

HOWEVER....

Today I visited GAK my local music shop and discovered their monitor room hidden in the upstairs drum emporium. I was able to A-B the RP5's and the HS7's (having given up on the HS5's as I produce dance music and don't believe these to be a viable option).

The HS7's had a noticeable lack of bass extension compared to the RP5's but the RP5's bass is muddy and a bit too much. My ALP5's are probably quite close to the RP5's but with a clearer and less hyped low end which makes them "nice" to listen to music on which is something I can imagine snares a great deal of RP5 owners. Overall the flatness and clarity of the HS7's particularly in the mids and hi end wins quite easily over the RP5's which tbh sound to me like a nice pair of consumer speakers but again the low end of the HS7's (even for 7" monitors) was quite absent which is a little worrying.

And then I went and pressed the next button to audition the set of monitors labelled " £200 you haven't got"

Bastard

Yamaha HS8's it is then. It was like taking my fingers out of my ears compared to the HS7's. The 7's sounded really nasal in comparison and instantly the HS8's are amazingly more detailed, open, deeper and the sweet spot goes from 30 CM to just under a metre. It was quite literally like night and day. There's so much more detail, not just in the low end which is so much better with the HS8's but the more open nature of the mids and highs is a revelation.

Crucially given the size of the room I have to work in the sound of the HS8's seems pretty uniform down to low/medium volume which is possibly the last selling point that hooked me.

The difference overall is really quite remarkable and given how much time and energy I spend indulging my passion it's a real no-brainer. Unfortunately it's a no-brainer that's gonna cost me (a few quid) and yes I know to a certain extent I'm comparing apples to pears but you wouldn't think 1 inch would really make that much difference. And there's a conversation I can have with my wife.

Rant over. If you've stumbled on this random collection of thoughts at some point in the future cos you're thinking of investing in some new monitors I hope this helps.

Laters

Aiden

selig
RE Developer

30 Dec 2016

Think of it as more of a long term investment, since EVERY decision you make will be based on what you hear through your monitors. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Palmeira

30 Dec 2016

That's exactly what I'm doing - pushing the boat out but knowing it's going to take me so much further!

jayhosking

30 Dec 2016

It's a good call to get what you want for the long term. I think you chose the right monitors.

For what it's worth, I think the HS5s are typically paired with a Yamaha subwoofer, and that's even how they were marketed. I've found that at the volumes where I mix, there's enough bass presence in the 7s. The 8s are supposed to be great but I haven't heard them.

Nothing beats a room full of speakers for comparison, eh? Nice work, even if you'll have some explaining to do with your loved ones.

Palmeira

31 Dec 2016

Cheers Jay, as long as I don't have to explain how much they cost I'm all good!

jayhosking

31 Dec 2016

Palmeira wrote: And then I went and pressed the next button to audition the set of monitors labelled " £200 you haven't got"

Bastard
I keep laughing over this part, because I've been suckered in the same way so many times. Music stores, man. The worst.

Olivier

01 Jan 2017

Thread moved, carry on.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Bonkhead

01 Jan 2017

Interesting to say the least you compaired monitors based on a soundcloud playlist.

I'm a huge fan of the yamaha HS5 / HS50m with the mid/high switched to minus db's.

I used to have the HS80m for a few weeks and had trouble controlling the subbass, it's huge !!!
My GF bought the HS50m's for her living room (<3) because she wanted super clean sound for her progressive trance cd's so I put my hs80m's next to them and the hs50m is much cleaner !!! The difference was huge, really huge. I worked with genelec 8040's in the past for years and the hs50m is the next best thing to me for a tight budget. I sold the hs80m's and got myself a pair of hs50m's too. A subwoofer is nice to add but often in small rooms even the hs50m's give a hint of subfreqs enough to make sense of what is going on (unlike what the spec sheets say). I'm always working with a spectrum analyzer next to my screen so it's not only ears I'm using. Also BEyer Dyn dt770m's with sub mod.

Now I'm saving up for a pair of hs5's for my second studio.

Palmeira

22 Jan 2017

Got the HS8's.

Was a little worried because the room I'm working in is really small but I definitely made the right choice. Bass from my Alp5's was really boomy but from the HS8's on a pair of Adam Hall isolation pads is so much more controlled, punchy and way, way deeper - I'm producing liquid DnB and Deep House so that's important. Even in a small room and with the monitors backed up almost to the wall and corner behind there doesn't appear to be any problems. Mids are incredibly clear and detailed, transparent even, and I've knocked the high trim down 2 db which seems to give a smoother overall sound. The sweet spot is huge compared to what I'm used to and was one of the things that was really obvious when I A-B'd them against other monitors in the shop and not just side to side either - depth - wow.

Haven't tried producing anything on them yet but listening to previous mixes is very revealing (and sometimes slightly disheartening!) so looking forward to seeing how they translate. Essentially though it's a massive step up and pressing the button labelled "£200 you haven't got!" has turned out awesome.

If you've got the budget but you don't think you have the space to accommodate these you may be surprised.

Cheers

deniscratch

01 Feb 2017

Hi guys, what do you think monitor AKAI RPM 500 ? Best all...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Palmeira

03 Feb 2017

Hi mate, never heard them but they do look the business with that red cone! I'd get down your local music shop and audition some if you are considering buying some. Good luck.

• Information