Yet another headphones question

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Taff

26 Nov 2016

OK, I'm slightly (Ok, quite a lot,) hard of hearing so cannot use monitor speakers, due to the neighbours from blocks away complaining they cannot hear their TV's when I'm playing/working on Reason.

The missus has promised me a decent pair of headphones for Xmas.

I'd like open backed ones, as I feel the one environment, they will be used in, (our spare room, no microphones or instruments used,) lends itself to that.

Your choice would be?

Noise
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2016

I bought the ATH-M40x a few weeks ago, they have a very good bass response, but yet, very neutral. Really good upgrade.

It's a amazon best seller, look up the reviews.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headp ... 2c93a7651/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVLUR54/re ... 1DEV3GXNTL
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Taff

26 Nov 2016

many thanks mate!

The_G

27 Nov 2016

Check out AKG.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2016

The_G wrote:Check out AKG.

I got some AKG K702 the other month, I like them a lot...

The_G

27 Nov 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

I have a pair myself. Very wide stereo image and flat enough response for monitoring. I prefer them to my M50s, though the M-50s are a good value.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

greenson

28 Nov 2016

Having recently bought a cheaper pair of AKG's (K44) to take travelling with me this month, I will share a few things that I feel are different to various Sennheiser models Ive owned over the past two decades. This may or may not apply to higher end AKG, but do your homework

1. Richer bottom end. Its nice for listening to metal, and also well produced electronic music but for a lot of styles this makes the sound slightly muddy

2. Massive physical fatigue. Maybe its the shape of my ears or the size of my head, but they are incredibly unpleasant to wear after an hour. I wore them for 4 hours straight on a flight and it was a terrible feeling. I think this is less about the tightness and more to do with the fact that the cans sit over the ears rather than the ears sitting wholly inside the cup. This means the uppr and lower ear are being crushed into the skull

Taff

29 Nov 2016

I'll look into those AKG's, thanks people.

Gulale

30 Nov 2016

Get this Sennheiser HD 600
Gulale aka Bereket

Bigsby

30 Nov 2016

Another vote for Sennheiser HD 600. I absolutely love mine for studio use. They're on a "cyber monday week" sale at Amazon for $260 which is a great price.

Goriila Texas

30 Nov 2016

Shure 1440s flat,accurate and mixes translate well with them.

The_G

01 Dec 2016

greenson wrote:Having recently bought a cheaper pair of AKG's (K44) to take travelling with me this month, I will share a few things that I feel are different to various Sennheiser models Ive owned over the past two decades. This may or may not apply to higher end AKG, but do your homework

1. Richer bottom end. Its nice for listening to metal, and also well produced electronic music but for a lot of styles this makes the sound slightly muddy

2. Massive physical fatigue. Maybe its the shape of my ears or the size of my head, but they are incredibly unpleasant to wear after an hour. I wore them for 4 hours straight on a flight and it was a terrible feeling. I think this is less about the tightness and more to do with the fact that the cans sit over the ears rather than the ears sitting wholly inside the cup. This means the uppr and lower ear are being crushed into the skull
I have the K702s, which are flat enough to be useful for monitoring. They are way more accurate than my pair of M50s, though the M50s are definitely more comfortable.

elMisse

01 Dec 2016

Sennheiser HD600 and 650 are the most comfortable ones I've used. 650 is a little soft sounding compared to many and as almost all open cans, lack the lowest bass.

I mostly work with closed DT770pro. Not as comfy to my ears, but I'm really used to it's tiny bit harsh sound and very accurate bass.
They are all different, and you must get familiar with yours.... meaning how they compare to all other speakers you listen music on.

Olivier

01 Dec 2016

If possible try out if they are a comfortable fit. A great sounding headphone that gives you a headache is useless.
I'm comfortable with the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro. And it sounds great to my ears. I don't mind if they color (although they are quite usable) because I don't mix on my cans.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Taff

03 Jan 2017

Hi gang, I went for teh AKG 702 in the end, mainly on price, ($265 Au)

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Kenni
Site Admin

03 Jan 2017

But aren't the Beyer dynamic ones only $150 or so?

Edit: Admittedly, I do not know the value of aussie funny money :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Chizmata

03 Jan 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

i love the akg 700-ish series but theyre too expensive for me. i use the akg 240 mkII now and am happy with it.

Emian

03 Jan 2017

i got both a closed pair of Beyerdynamics DT770's & an open pair of DT990's...

So happy with both of 'm :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

hallybarryw9

06 Feb 2017

I think you should go with Bluedio T2S, it comes with great sound quality and its bluetooth so works good with tv, Well you can check this list of budget headphones for more options.
hello friends and I am Halley and I love to talk and meeting new people !!

Noplan
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

I have these, too. :thumbs_up:

slightlyprog

06 Feb 2017

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 540 'reference gold' that I bought in the early 1990s and they're still going strong and sound amazing, the frequency response is very flat. They sound very similar to my Equator D5s but give me a better picture of the low end. They have been superceded by newer models but you can still find them 2nd hand.

Due to the imperfect acoustics of two different rooms I have had to work in, lately the phones are a better reference for my mixes than the speakers. I use the speakers to confirm what I hear in the phones basically.

• Information