Novation SL MkII Automap Templates thread

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
retango

01 Oct 2016

Hi! I'd like to start a thread for Novation Automap templates for use with the Novation SL MkII series (https://global.novationmusic.com/keys/sl-mkii#). While it's a relatively old controller, it is one of the best available for controlling Reason, particularly for live control of synths. It requires some programming of the Automap templates (Automap is the software interface between the keyboard and Reason, the synth templates that come by default are a little disorganized and have no rack extensions), but once you have them, its really great.
Novation 25 SL MkII.png
Novation 25 SL MkII.png (198.65 KiB) Viewed 14229 times
The SL MkII controllers have 32 buttons with on-off status, 8 faders, 8 endless encoders, 8 normal knobs, 8 velocity sensitive drum pads, a pitch bend-mod wheel joystick, and a X-Y touch pad. One row of 8 buttons also can work as transport. It has a screen that tells you the name and values of 8 controls at a time, and as soon as you touch a control it shows the names for that group (controls are touch sensitive). If you want, you can also see the function for each controller on the PC screen on the Automap software (there is a "View" button in the keyboard to show-hide the view). Buttons can be programmed on-off, or to step several values. In Reason, you have dedicated buttons to choose between controlling the mixer, or a device in the rack, and is easy to change tracks and presets. For each device, you can have several "pages" of controls - e.g. page 1: Oscillators and envelopes, Page 2: LFOs and filters, etc.. (you cannot show a name for the pages though).

The Automap template editor is complete, but lacks some basic functionality and is buggy (e.g. you cannot copy controls for one page to another, when you move controls within a same page you loose parameters, you cannot reorder pages, etc..), but you should only need to program each template once and then you are done - and there is a learn function and a dedicated keyboard button that makes programming fast.

You CAN use the SL MkII for controlling Rack Extensions (even when Novation's site says you can't!). You'll first need to add the device to the remotemap file, using "Pot 1", "Pot 2", "Pot 3", etc as controls (you can look for maps in this thread https://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7263612). The order of the Pots doesn't matter - you'll actually decide what goes where in the Automap template editor. You'll need to add 2 lines to the remote file so you can see the name of the device in Automap, like this:
Map Device Name "JPS Harmonic Synth"
Map Instance Name Device Name
(see more info here https://tonalaxis.wordpress.com/2014/01 ... s-automap/).

To set a downloaded template as default for a Reason device, select the track with the device in Reason, open the Automap editor ("view" button in the MkII). Click "open" and select the automap file for the device, and when loaded, press "Set as default".

Tips:
1. Buttons in step mode: You can use these on Reason buttons that have multiple functions (e.g. Subtractor Filter 1 Type) or knobs that have limited options (e.g. Malstrom's Oscilator Octave knob can only have 9 values). To program a button with say 5 options, in the Automap editor select the "Range" tab, change mode to "Step", and enter 6 in Points x Size left box (3rd box starting from the left). That's right, the number is one more than the options you need. Also, note that this section is buggy (as of v4.10), and you may need to change tabs or click another control and go back to the one you are editing for this to actually work.
Step Edit.png
Step Edit.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 14229 times
2. Grouping controls. I try to keep templates organized by putting sections (e.g. Osc 1, Filter 1, etc..) in either whole groups (8 knobs + buttons, or 8 faders + buttons), or in a subgroup of 4 buttons or faders - even when this means leaving some knobs / faders empty. This helps in memorizing the templates.
3. Consistency across devices: I try to put the same functions in same keyboard sections for different devices, e.g.: I always try to put envelopes in the fader section.
4. Endless encoders / knobs. These encoders have the benefit that never "jump" from one value to the next, and you get instant feedback on its values. I try to put filters + resonances in these when possible. Also, I usually put frequency to the left of resonance, even when they are in a different order on the screen.
5. Transport and Track Up / Down: It's preferrable to leave the transport buttons section empty, except for the two buttons on the right that are mapped to Track Up/Down
6. X-Y Pad: I program the X-Y pad with the same parameters across all pages. I usually use Filter Frequency (X) and Resonance (Y)
7. Navigating Pages / Presets: the P1 buttons are for changing template page. The P2 buttons for changing presets. You can also press the speed dial and turn it while pressed to change presets.
8. Midi mode. You can easily leave automap mode in the SL MkII, and it will work as a standard midi controller with 32 templates, which you can use to control different devices simultaneously via midi mapping. Press a button and back to Automap.
9. Learn Function: It's very buggy. Say you want to program the first fader with Filter Attack in Subtractor. Select the Subtractor track in Reason, open Automap ("View" button on the MkII). Select a different control in the automap window (say the second fader). Press "Learn" in the MkII. Now select the first fader on the Automap window, and then move the Filter Attack fader in Subtractor. That's it.

Please use this thread to post Automap templates. In the case of Rack Extensions, please also add the remote map file. I would be good if you can include a summary of the layout, stating what goes in each page in each section, e.g.
Page 1: Filter 1 + 2 | Osc 1 + 2 | Filter + Amp Envelopes
-> In page 1 of the template, the 8 endless knobs and buttons are mapped to filters 1 (left 4 knobs) and 2 (right 4 knobs), the 8 normal knobs to oscilators 1 and 2 and the 8 sliders for filer and amp envelopes.

I start with templates for Subtractor, Malstrom and Thor.
Last edited by retango on 03 Oct 2016, edited 3 times in total.
:reason: :rebirth: :re: :PUF_balance: :PUF_figure:

retango

01 Oct 2016

Download and delete the ".txt" extension (correct extension is .automap)

Subtractor:
Page 1: Filter 1 + 2 | Osc 1 + 2 | Filter + Amp Envelopes
Page 2: LFO 1 + 2 | Noise + Portamento | Mod Envelope
Page 3: Velocity Control | Mod Wheel Control | External Control
Subtractor.automap.txt
(18.45 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Malstrom:
Page 1: Osc 1| Osc 2 | Amp Envelopes
Page 2: Filter A + B | Mod A + B | Filter Envelope + Mod additional
Page 3: Velocity Control | Mod Wheel Control + Portamento |
Malstrom.automap.txt
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Thor:
Page 1: Osc 1| Osc 2 | Filter + Amp Envelopes
Page 2: Filter 1 + 2 | Osc 3 + Rotaries | Filter 1+ 2 additional
Page 3: Filter 3| LFO 1 + 2 | Modulation Envelope + Shaper
Page 4: Delay + Portamento | Chorus + Rotaries | Global Envelope + Amp
Page 5: Sequencer 1-8 | Sequencer 9-16 | Sequencer Control
Thor.automap.txt
(37.23 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

retango

01 Oct 2016

Synapse Audio The Legend
page 1: Filter + Osc 1 + Noise | Osc 2 +3 | Filter + Amp Envelopes
page 2:Controls + Output | |
The Legend Remote.txt
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
The Legend.automap.txt
(12.94 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

retango

02 Oct 2016

JPS Harmonic Synthesizer
This is a relatively complex template.. the 32+ faders needed for the harmonics take a lot of space. It is grouped by oscilator rather than copying the layout (e.g. pans together instead of on opposing ends of a group).

page 1: Filter + Osc 1 Large Buttons | Tremulants + Sequencer + Pans | Envelopes Osc 1+2 + Osc 2 Large Buttons
page 2: Noise + Osc 1 Shape | Osc 1 DHG 1-8 | Osc 1 DHG 9-16
page 3: Osc 2 Note Off Envelope + Osc 2 Shape | Osc 2 DHG 1-8 | Osc 2 DHG 9-16
page 4: Distortion + Chorus | Flanger + Phaser | Delay + Reverb
page 5: Portamento + Pitch Bend + Control | |
JPS Harmonic Synth Remote for Novation Automap.txt
(4.26 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
JPS Harmonic Synth.automap.txt
(31.9 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

O1B

03 Oct 2016

Thanks for starting this, Retango.

Rakun

27 Nov 2016

Hi! Do you have one for Antidote or Predator RE?

Rakun

29 Nov 2016

Hi!

My SL MKII does not recognize the rack extensions although I've input everything as instructed. Maybe Windows 10 are the problem?

BTW I have Reason 9, that might also be a problem.

BR, Raq

Kaosis

10 Jan 2017

So, I picked up a mkii 49 the other for a steal because one key didn't play a note. Took it apart, cleaned it up a bit, got it working. Got it setup with reason and "auto" mapped Thor, maelstrom, and subtractor for now, gonna look into the RE's here soon. But I have a question that's mostly related.

Is there a way to advanced mode so that I can use the remote files. Don't know why but I like editing those more than the automap, works fine just not what I'm used to.

artotaku

10 Jan 2017

Kaosis wrote:So, I picked up a mkii 49 the other for a steal because one key didn't play a note. Took it apart, cleaned it up a bit, got it working. Got it setup with reason and "auto" mapped Thor, maelstrom, and subtractor for now, gonna look into the RE's here soon. But I have a question that's mostly related.

Is there a way to advanced mode so that I can use the remote files. Don't know why but I like editing those more than the automap, works fine just not what I'm used to.
I don´t think it´s possible to just edit/add a remotemap file for a RE when using Automap without creating the according automap file.

You could, of course, abandon Automap completely and use just a standard controller codec from Reason and add the remote mappings for REs to its remotemap file - most likely more work.

Kaosis

10 Jan 2017

artotaku wrote:
Kaosis wrote:So, I picked up a mkii 49 the other for a steal because one key didn't play a note. Took it apart, cleaned it up a bit, got it working. Got it setup with reason and "auto" mapped Thor, maelstrom, and subtractor for now, gonna look into the RE's here soon. But I have a question that's mostly related.

I don´t think it´s possible to just edit/add a remotemap file for a RE when using Automap without creating the according automap file.

You could, of course, abandon Automap completely and use just a standard controller codec from Reason and add the remote mappings for REs to its remotemap file - most likely more work.
That's what I'm trying to do. Reason doesn't seem to auto detect anything without the automap on though. So how do I add the controller and what advanced mode template do I use? I've dug through the manual, but it seems to be before they added pseudo support for automap.

artotaku

10 Jan 2017

Which codec/control surface do you use in Reason? The generic "MIDI Control Keyboard" must be added manually, it won´t be automatically detected.

When added in Preferences -> Control Surfaces it should recognize the MIDI input port of the mkii controller, when you click on the input button. If that works, good.

Next: the generic "MIDI controller" maps all MIDI CCs from 0 to 127, so if the mkii is sending any of that when you change a knob or button on the controller the "Edit Remote Override Mapping" in Reason should recognize the changes.

Kaosis

10 Jan 2017

artotaku wrote:Which codec/control surface do you use in Reason? The generic "MIDI Control Keyboard" must be added manually, it won´t be automatically detected.

When added in Preferences -> Control Surfaces it should recognize the MIDI input port of the mkii controller, when you click on the input button. If that works, good.

Next: the generic "MIDI controller" maps all MIDI CCs from 0 to 127, so if the mkii is sending any of that when you change a knob or button on the controller the "Edit Remote Override Mapping" in Reason should recognize the changes.
Oh, I was thinking that there a proper codec (non automapped) for the SL already, didn't realize I would have to use a generic for advanced mode. Anyways, I'll create a topic on it. I don't want to derail this thread any further.

Kaosis

10 Jan 2017

back on topic, I'm able to "auto" map a couple of REs now, however automap doesn't change templates when I change instruments. I have to manually load a template for each RE, everytime I select it. Any solutions?

Kaosis

11 Jan 2017

Kaosis wrote:back on topic, I'm able to "auto" map a couple of REs now, however automap doesn't change templates when I change instruments. I have to manually load a template for each RE, everytime I select it. Any solutions?
Figured it out, need to add to the remotemap

Code: Select all

Map	Device Name		"Antidote"
Map	Instance Name		Device Name
Change Antidote to whatever you need. I don't think that it actually matters what you call it, just as long as it's unique.

Catblack

13 Jan 2017

I broke down and picked a 25 SL Mk2 up. It's being shipped to me. I've looked into the automap xml that's been posted to this thread, and the manual, and remotemaps. Oh, and the lua codecs too. (Which will make more sense when I get the unit here, but it looks like automap mode sends a lot of sysex?)

I'm absolutely committed to having a good set of automap templates and an inclusive remotemap. I'd love to have everything up on github so it can be downloaded and refined by anyone. (And the amount of data, 14,000+ line remotemap, 300+ automap files, is best tracked.) It will take me a month after my unit gets here, but I think it may be possible to auto generate the xml so that all 300+ REs are automapped, at least basically.

But automapping is subjective, so please share yours!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Italophile

13 Jan 2017

There are three things to bear in mind when customising Automap integration:
  1. The version of Novation Automap Control.remotemap that is supplied with Reason is incomplete, even for the built-in devices and standard Reason commands (which you will find under Reason Document).
  2. Device Automaps are dependent on the remotemap. So if your remotemap has the remotable items for a device in a different order to mine your device automaps won't work with my remotemap.
  3. You can get the automaps to practically build themselves by spending time getting the remotemap right. The automap consists of pages of 24 buttons and 24 pots. These can be assigned directly in the remotemap. For example:
    Map Pot 25 Filter Type maps to the first encoder on page 2
    Map Pot 33 Filter Freq maps to the first rotary on page 2
    Map Pot 41 Filter Env Attack maps to the first fader on page 2
I have attached my WIP remotemap so that you can see how I edit it.

Catblack

14 Jan 2017

Italophile wrote:There are three things to bear in mind when customising Automap integration:
  1. The version of Novation Automap Control.remotemap that is supplied with Reason is incomplete, even for the built-in devices and standard Reason commands (which you will find under Reason Document).
  2. Device Automaps are dependent on the remotemap. So if your remotemap has the remotable items for a device in a different order to mine your device automaps won't work with my remotemap.
  3. You can get the automaps to practically build themselves by spending time getting the remotemap right. The automap consists of pages of 24 buttons and 24 pots. These can be assigned directly in the remotemap. For example:
    Map Pot 25 Filter Type maps to the first encoder on page 2
    Map Pot 33 Filter Freq maps to the first rotary on page 2
    Map Pot 41 Filter Env Attack maps to the first fader on page 2
I have attached my WIP remotemap so that you can see how I edit it.
Thank you for this. I have a game plan for how to tackle this project. I am very well versed in the Remote protocol, but I'm not going to touch how Novation is handling things through Automap. (So no 'Advanced mode' remotemap and codec.) I don't have my unit yet so I can't run Automap.

But I am maybe going to try to do this in a way that doesn't break anyone else's setup. So I may duplicate the codec and have it named differently, so it will use a separate remotemap. (Automap won't care.) I will use an extended remotemap with RE definitions to generate the xml files. And then when I generate the automap xml files they'll be named differently with a suffix so they appear together in the automap directory listing. If all goes right I will be able to modify the remotemap and generate them again.

I am aware this sounds a little crazy maybe. When I get my unit I'll be able to test more, and maybe there's no need for this. But I'm going to barrel into making a long, RE complete remotemap and do some tests when my 25 is here before I generate the xml.

I definitely want to have buttons for the patch select on each Reason device that has it though. Anyhow, that's my game plan in a nutshell. I've had to make custom codecs for most of my gear, so I know how reason handles things pretty well. Novation's codecs for Automap are pretty strange beasts -- it's basically defining 256 buttons and pots, and doing it in a very programmatically frugal way. And I can see how it's sending over the reason item names back to automap, but won't have a feel for how this works til my unit gets here. But I think a large complete remotemap is the first step.

I'd still love to see some more example automap files.

Damn.

Jonathan10

28 Mar 2017

Where do I put the automat maps?

Thanks guys i'm having problems with this.
:refill:

Catblack

28 Mar 2017

C:\Program Files (x86)\Novation\Automap\Mappings is what I have on windows.

(And I haven't had time to complete the project I described in last post.)

Damn.

Hauser+Quaid

03 Jul 2017

Glad I found this thread!! Been toying around with the idea of using my 61SL a bit more integrated w Reason, so I've been playing around with it a bit tonight. Haven't done any real editing yet, just playing around a bit with what's already there and looking at Remote Maps etc.

A few questions for the experts:

retango wrote:
01 Oct 2016
5. Transport and Track Up / Down: It's preferrable to leave the transport buttons section empty, except for the two buttons on the right that are mapped to Track Up/Down
This one's been driving me mad. For some reason the two buttons to the right of the Record button don't do anything. I see it says something in the Remote Map about Track Up & Down, but there's no functionality at all. Anyone got any ideas? This one function would be really helpful. Doing it from the Mixer page is a pain because every time I jump a few tracks, the keyboard immediately goes into User mode and I can't go track up/down without going BACK into Mixer mode.

This one's a long shot but is there any way to integrate browser movements, say with the Speed Dial or something? Having the P2 button switch presets is cool but I've also gotten really used to Maschine and how you can scroll with the jog wheel.

Another long shot but is there any way to instantiate instruments or effects from the controller, similar to the way the Nektar P series can? Not holding my breath on this one but again if someone's figured it out. Even a way to maybe assign key commands? Maybe using one of the modes that's unused (i.e. FX or Inst)?

Just trying to eliminate as much mousing around as possible :D :reason:

stp2015

04 Aug 2017

Quick question: I have been playing with the Zero MK1 and the Zero MK2, both via automap.

One thing I noticed is that the display of the MK2 reacts in a laggy / delayed way, whereas the display on the MK1 reacts much faster to slider movements etc.

My guess is that the midi pipe of the MK2 is more crowded because of the LED information getting transferred to the buttons and the knobs, but I cannot say for sure. Is there a way to improve the display responsiveness on the MK2?

djsmex

04 Aug 2017

Hi, I've got a remotemap file for the automap & reason 9.5 with 430 REs at http://www.reasonremoter.uk but my question is how do you get automap to work with REs like Blamsoft Zero what has over 700 pot controls? I thought of using remotemap groups and setting the device name based on different sections of the RE but wondered if there is a better way.

artotaku

07 Aug 2017

This one's a long shot but is there any way to integrate browser movements, say with the Speed Dial or something? Having the P2 button switch presets is cool but I've also gotten really used to Maschine and how you can scroll with the jog wheel.
There are no remotable items for that, unfortunately.
Another long shot but is there any way to instantiate instruments or effects from the controller, similar to the way the Nektar P series can? Not holding my breath on this one but again if someone's figured it out. Even a way to maybe assign key commands? Maybe using one of the modes that's unused (i.e. FX or Inst)?

Just trying to eliminate as much mousing around as possible :D :reason:
Same as 2. but you could install a 3rd party tool like BOME MIDI translator (on Windows), map a button on your controller to a keyboard shortcut sequence that works inside Reason to create devices (fragile for REs since their positions in the browser may change as soon as a new RE is added).

stp2015

10 Aug 2017

Tweaked my Zero MK1 with some vintage style knobs and nicer faders :puf_bigsmile:

IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG (910.28 KiB) Viewed 13013 times

stp2015

12 Aug 2017

I have written a little bit of code that automatically extends the automap control remotemap file with rack extensions. Happy to run it for you if you send me a zip with the remote info txt files of the rack extensions you want to control.

• Information