Ma New Rig

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
pushedbutton

20 Sep 2016

Just got my Deposit down on this ...

Intel Core i7-6700k
Gigabyte GA-Z170 Gaming K3 motherboard
H100i V2 AIO CPU cooler
32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM
240GB Samsung 750 SSD
2TB Seagate HDD
ASUS GTX1060 6GB (1280 core version)
Cooler Master Silencio 452 mid-size case
750W Corsair CS Series 80 PLUS Gold Hybrid Modular Power supply
Windows 10 Pro key with included 8GB USB drive

£1260 built and tested. I think I did good.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jonheal

20 Sep 2016

You can't be too skint. :)

Well ... maybe you are now after that purchase. :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

pushedbutton

20 Sep 2016

Well I've not had a night out since June and this is going to put me back into my overdraft.
But seen as the last time I built a pc it came with Vista and a voucher for windows 7 when it was released, I think I got my moneys worth out of my current rig.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

jonheal

20 Sep 2016

pushedbutton wrote:Well I've not had a night out since June and this is going to put me back into my overdraft.
But seen as the last time I built a pc it came with Vista and a voucher for windows 7 when it was released, I think I got my moneys worth out of my current rig.
Definitely! Enjoy your new system! :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Ostermilk

20 Sep 2016

I'm guessing the GTX isn't for its audio capabilities... :)

I just freshed up my old box by sticking an i5 6600k on an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming board, with 16Gb of Vengeance and an Arctic Freezer 13 on top in it.

£450 all in plus a days worth of tweaking to get it all sweet, cool and stable at a safe 4.3Ghz.

Another advantage on going the hardware upgrade route is that I could still use my existing W10 Pro license rather than having to buy a new one for a new machine. I just phoned MS support, showed 'em my receipt for the new parts and they re-activated it within minutes.

I love a new toy although I'm not so sure I'm going to get 5 years of sterling service out of it like I did my last 2600k build, which didn't die incidentally I just retired it because I could... :puf_bigsmile:

Oh and I'm getting a 25% better result over my last setup on this test.

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7263897

kuhliloach

20 Sep 2016

Ostermilk wrote:showed 'em my receipt for the new parts and they re-activated it within minutes

stratatonic

21 Sep 2016

kuhliloach wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:showed 'em my receipt for the new parts and they re-activated it within minutes
Hmmm... technically you could keep swapping out parts indefinitely and have the "same computer" - even though no original part is left...

Ostermilk

21 Sep 2016

stratatonic wrote:
kuhliloach wrote:
Hmmm... technically you could keep swapping out parts indefinitely and have the "same computer" - even though no original part is left...
I guess they figure out how often you've requested to have it re-activated and likely if I put my old parts back in a new box I'd have to buy a new OS for it. I was impressed with the quality of support I got though, just little ol' me out of the gazillion users they have and they got me back up and working again in no time.

pushedbutton

21 Sep 2016

Ostermilk wrote:I'm guessing the GTX isn't for its audio capabilities... :)
Na I'm getting that cos the PS4 and xbone didn't impress me. I need something to get righteous headshots on.

gak

21 Sep 2016

Well, at least you didn't buy ADK :lol:

EnochLight

22 Sep 2016

pushedbutton wrote:Just got my Deposit down on this ...

Intel Core i7-6700k
Gigabyte GA-Z170 Gaming K3 motherboard
H100i V2 AIO CPU cooler
32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM
240GB Samsung 750 SSD
2TB Seagate HDD
ASUS GTX1060 6GB (1280 core version)
Cooler Master Silencio 452 mid-size case
750W Corsair CS Series 80 PLUS Gold Hybrid Modular Power supply
Windows 10 Pro key with included 8GB USB drive

£1260 built and tested. I think I did good.
Not too shabby - congrats! My only advice is that I would have went with a 1 TB SSD instead, as you'll make quick work of that tiny 240 GB SSD (at least, I did mine). You could get the Mushkin 1 TB Reactor for a bit more, and you'd appreciate the size. Speed between the Samsung 750 and the Mushkin Reactor probably wouldn't be that noticeable. That said, did you get the Samsung 750 in 240 GB EVO or 250 GB EVO? The 240/250 GB EVO series went back to Planar NAND/triple layer cells, and the Mushkin Reactor is multi layer cell. The additional space also seems to do well.

I was eying your CPU choice for a while too, but I think my next build is going to be at least 6-core. I'd like to do 8-core (Intel), but I'm trying to keep my marriage intact. :D :mrgreen: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pushedbutton

22 Sep 2016

yeah I agree, I'll probably max it out in no time but the motherboard can handle another one so I'll ask santa when it comes to it.

• Information