Suggestion Laptop for Reason 9

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
ciaociao

17 Sep 2016

Hello,

Can you please suggest me a LAPTOP that can garantee high performances to REASON 9 :?:

At first I got to say that I cannot find an ASIO card so easily, Could Reason work without it too? I´ve read about directX :shock:
Then I cannot find a dual core, there are so many laptop models with different requirements..I am really confused :?
According to your experience or your last purchase maybe I could get more infos. :puf_bigsmile:

:arrow: A short resume of the requirements:
W10 64 bit dual core /quad core / !No MAC due to my personal taste!
Ram 8GB
i7 3Ghz , SSD at least 256 GB / HDD 1TB
GPU at least 2GB
ASIO card ( or DirectX??)
USB and HDMI ports
Screen: depends, between 13´´ and 15´´ would be better.
The weight is an important parameter too (Related to the screen dimension)

Thank you very much for any kind of suggestion concerning laptops on the market :mrgreen:
Glad to be in this forum.

pushedbutton

17 Sep 2016

You probably won't find a laptop that has a native asio soundcard.
most people would use a free program called asio4all or plug in an external card.
you're probably not going to find a thin and lightweight laptop that has two hard drives, that just doesn't make a lot of sense. Sometimes you can find a kit to convert your optical drive to a hard drive housing, but then you loose your optical drive, which might be ok with you. It's easier to buy an external hard drive enclosure.
8Gb of RAM isn't that much of a big deal, your processor specs aren't that hard to find either.
I have a Dell XPS15 (L502x) from 2012 and better than the spec your asking for (except I didn't put an ssd in it yet). In good condition this would set you back about £400, which is just over $500, but asio sound isn't included out of the box.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

4filegate

17 Sep 2016

Asus X550VX-DM113T i7-6700HQ DGRAY nVidia GeForce GTX 950M
Asus X550VX-DM111T i5-6300HQ DGRAY Intel® HD Graphics 530
&. replace optical drive with SSD or HDD +/- $ 900.00

:think: this is place to be http://www.reasontalk.com/viewforum.php?f=12

kuhliloach

18 Sep 2016

I am still very happy with Reason's performance on a ~4 year old laptop by ASUS. Installing ASIO4ALL is fantastic to be quite honest; I've seen it offer lower latency than certain USB connected ASIO hardware interfaces! I sometimes run ASIO4ALL with an optically-connected cheap-o DAC (FiiO D3), or you can just use the laptop's headphone jack. On my laptop that same headphone jack is optical-compatible with a special cable. The SSD will make a huge difference. I recommend 16GB of RAM so you'll avoid any situations where the system might use a paging file for virtual RAM.

• Information