Audio interfaces

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
The_G

15 Sep 2016

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for an audio interface and I'd like to ask for recommendations. Here is what I need:

*Low Latency
*For use on a Mac
*One external instrument/mic at a time is okay
*Compact and good value
*Bus powered a plus but not a necessity
*USB or Thunderbolt
*Use with Reason as well as Logic

What are your thoughts? Limited selection here in Asia but I should be able to get stuff by any major brand (Focusrite, Apogee, M-Audio, etc). The Zoom Tac-2 is also available here.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

yeahright31

16 Sep 2016

I'd recommend the Zoom Tac-2, I own the Zoom Tac-8 and the sound is very clear and you don't need to be a scientist to work out the software that's bundled with it (It's easy to understand) It has Thunderbolt which is nice real low latency and will free up a usb. Another thing i'm told is that if you buy another Zoom Tac Audio Interface down the track you can link them up, so it's expandable which is cool.

I'd avoid Focusrite, I know some people may get along with that brand, although a lot of people run into issues down the track. I definitely did regret buying a Focusrite Scarlett, The software was always buggy and seeing as the software drives it once you encounter a real serious issue with software heck knows if you'll be able to fix it if it's software related (Having to wait for an update) Unsure if it's the software of the hardware stuffing up, man It's not worth the hassle.

M-Audio I've never tried.

Apogee would be another great choice..The Baby Face is usually highly recommended and it was easy to set up (Up to date drivers as well)

Good Luck.

bitley

16 Sep 2016

Are all Propellerhead Balance interfaces sold out now? I love it and can recommend it.

QVprod

16 Sep 2016

What's your budget? There's alot of 2 channel bus powered options. Aside from the occasional hiccup in Studio One, my Focusrite 18i20 treats me well. The 2nd Gen Scarlett range might be worth looking into for it's low(er) latency. They market being able to record through plugins, but it still requires your buffer to be set pretty low. I can pretty much do that with my 1st gen Scarlett.

But plenty of other options
RME Babyface
UA Apollo Twin
Native Instruments Komplete audio 6
Apogee Duet
Motu Microbook

I'd say stay away from M Audio. Their monitors are decent, and some of their controllers, but I wouldn't recommend anything else by them.

The_G

16 Sep 2016

How about the NI interface? Anyone mess with that?
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Marco Raaphorst

16 Sep 2016

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Runs in class-compliant mode on a Mac. No need for a driver.

syncanonymous

22 Sep 2016

I use PreSonus Firestudio mobile I bought in 2013...which is firewire, so not for your spec. It is ok; connectivity is pretty great for a little box like this. Driver latency is low enough for my needs, I use it at 48k; 256 for pretty much everything. I think there are build quality issues with the PreSonus, as in, I am not confident that all the boxes are "identical" from the actual manufacturer (china). My FSM has a low level whine on the right output that sounds kind of like a car alarm. Whine has been there since I bought it. This whine is sounds like it could be dirty power, but I have tried the FSM in many different locations with varying electrical qualities & the whine is consistently present. Also, the 1/4" output is unreliable as in I often must "jiggle" & turn the output jack to just the right spot so the buzz stops. I have tracked this problem down to the right output only.

I have been working with a guy who uses Metric Halo interfaces with his mac, but he is studio bound. Audio quality wise, the Metric Halos are awesome.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

XysteR

26 Sep 2016

Saffire Pro 24 DSP for Reason, an Edirol UA25-EX for my VST wrapper (just saves using loopback when using VST's in Reason) 2 solid reliable interfaces. Not a single problem with either of them

Gorgon

26 Sep 2016

bitley™ wrote:Are all Propellerhead Balance interfaces sold out now? I love it and can recommend it.
I have one. Collector's item!! :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

kuhliloach

26 Sep 2016

Mackie Blackjack Onyx due to its performance and design. I cannot verify the Mackie's performance on a Mac; I use Win 7.

If you can find a Balance I can tell you from experience that it's great. In your shoes I'd probably order a Focusrite to see how it goes.

gak

26 Sep 2016

As a general question, get 60 answers :lol:

Say it every time, unless you are broke or desperate, save up, get the babyface pro, and stop thinking about your soundcard. I run windows but I'm sure they are as spiffy on mac.

4filegate

26 Sep 2016

connect two computing devices (Mac/iOS/PC) iConnectivity AUDIO Interfaces

EnochLight

26 Sep 2016

The_G wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for an audio interface and I'd like to ask for recommendations. Here is what I need:

*Low Latency
*For use on a Mac
*One external instrument/mic at a time is okay
*Compact and good value
*Bus powered a plus but not a necessity
*USB or Thunderbolt
*Use with Reason as well as Logic

What are your thoughts? Limited selection here in Asia but I should be able to get stuff by any major brand (Focusrite, Apogee, M-Audio, etc). The Zoom Tac-2 is also available here.
RME Babyface Pro. Insane low latency, rock solid drivers, and built like a tank.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

wentzelitis

26 Sep 2016

i picked up behringer umc202hd on a whim last year cuz it was 50 bucks and i gave my old interface to my girlfriend to practice bass with.. it actually turned out to be an excellent piece of equipment. very solid and well built. very quiet pre amps and connections (for the price) more often than not i'm actually surprised by the quality of behringer gear for their price. i know they used to have a bad rep but i'd give it a chance if you can still find it for around that price. i can't imagine any 100-200 dollar interface like a scarlett being any higher quality, and the behringer was only 50

there's also the 204hd which is very similar for a few bucks more. or the umc22 for a few bucks less. they might be easier to find. they were so similar i think the 202hd might have been discontinued

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC204HD

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC22

syncanonymous

13 Jul 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
22 Sep 2016
I use PreSonus Firestudio mobile I bought in 2013...which is firewire, so not for your spec. It is ok; connectivity is pretty great for a little box like this. Driver latency is low enough for my needs, I use it at 48k; 256 for pretty much everything. I think there are build quality issues with the PreSonus, as in, I am not confident that all the boxes are "identical" from the actual manufacturer (china). My FSM has a low level whine on the right output that sounds kind of like a car alarm. Whine has been there since I bought it. This whine is sounds like it could be dirty power, but I have tried the FSM in many different locations with varying electrical qualities & the whine is consistently present. Also, the 1/4" output is unreliable as in I often must "jiggle" & turn the output jack to just the right spot so the buzz stops. I have tracked this problem down to the right output only.

I have been working with a guy who uses Metric Halo interfaces with his mac, but he is studio bound. Audio quality wise, the Metric Halos are awesome.
Just an update to say that I tracked down the car alarm noises with my PreSonus FSM to the input section. If I mute all inputs with the driver software mixer; the headphone and main outputs are completely clear of background noises. It isn't an issue when mixing/ mastering like I spend most of my time doing...and just not using any audio inputs is going to give clean output, ie midi editing/controlling. I am just saying in case anyone else is having the same problem. Obviously the noisy input section requires consideration... I would guess it is power issue, although this unit exhibits the same noisy input section at multiple locations.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

gak

14 Jul 2017

Hi, joker here, don't believe the hype and nonsense.

Two choices:

A) The cheap ass choice that will give you headaches, latency and driver issues

or

B) The RME choice (babyface pro, or higher) with stellar drivers (any platform) great sound, better latency (by a long shot) and a sense that you can make music instead of trouble-shooting your fucking soundcard for eternity.

The choice is yours.

No bullshit. Since I got my babyface pro, I no longer even THINK about my soundcard. It's there, it works, it's ace.

BONUS ROUND: Totalmix is excellent and provides great flexibility (though a little long in the tooth to get your head around)

Stop screwing around and make music, ask your mom or girlfriend for help if needed. Get an RME and stop being a loser :lol:

syncanonymous

13 Sep 2017

I agree with gak to some degree
I went looking and found this
Anybody buy from these guys?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/reviveaudio/m. ... pg=&_from=

• Information