Speaker setup

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
evolve187

02 Sep 2016

I've read lots about how to setup your speakers properly. The ideal is an equilateral triangle between your listening position and the speakers.

Due to my room/desk, I'm limited depth wise so my speakers are about 5 feet apart and I am about 3 feet from either speaker.

My question is how does this effect my perception of the stereo field and how significant is this distance disparity?

How you close is your speaker setup to being perfectly equilateral, distance-wise?

Thanks!
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

jonheal

02 Sep 2016

Mine are about 5 feet apart, too. My fat head is probably closer than 5 feet to them, but I slouch a lot, so that helps. I think a worse offense is when they are backed up against a wall.

Great signature, by the way! :) Although it's hard to feel a lot of sympathy for those electrons; they're always so negative!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

dhruan

03 Sep 2016

Got a pair of Genelec 8330A nearfields with the GLM 2.0 package, currently running them pretty close to the wall (15cm) but the GLM DSP correction helps with that *a lot*, among other things it time aligns the speakers and EQs the sub 300Hz frequencies, the end result being a much tighter low end and overall a more balanced/neutral sound. Sitting in one point of an equilateral triangle, sides are about 114cm (3,75 feet). When properly aligned I get a great 3D field of sound, this changes though the further I move my head away from the sweet spot.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

evolve187

03 Sep 2016

Haha thanks jonheal. very punny. It's its not a huge factor but there is some science I read somewhere in regards to blurring of center imaging, typically the low end, when your speakers are too wide. I was wondering if anyone knew how wider than the ideal 1:1:1 ratio one can go before the stereo field is compromised.

And agreed having your speakers to close to the wall can be problematic... I am about a foot away but I do have 10 feet x 2 feet of sound absorption panels between them and the wall with a 2 inch gap air gap to the wall from the back of the panel...the gap improves the panels effectiveness. Seems to work.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

evolve187

03 Sep 2016

dhruan wrote:Got a pair of Genelec 8330A nearfields with the GLM 2.0 package, currently running them pretty close to the wall (15cm) but the GLM DSP correction helps with that *a lot*, among other things it time aligns the speakers and EQs the sub 300Hz frequencies, the end result being a much tighter low end and overall a more balanced/neutral sound. Sitting in one point of an equilateral triangle, sides are about 114cm (3,75 feet). When properly aligned I get a great 3D field of sound, this changes though the further I move my head away from the sweet spot.
Wow that sounds like a nice setup. Thanks for the info.

Do you think if you moved your speakers wider even by a foot each you would lose some tightness? And how tight is the sweet spot on those Genelec 8330A nearfields? I have Tannoy -Reveal passive nearfields and I find the spot to be very small...like a few inches up/down left right and I'm out of it.

I like the sound of my Tannoys but am seriously thinking about going to a semi-nearfield next so I have a bit more wiggle/slouch room...and when you have someone else in the room they can hear your music decently too.

dhruan

03 Sep 2016

Moving them a bit wider would definitely help but then I would run out of room. The rated critical listening distance ends around 180-190cm, after that we escape the nearfield zone and the room/reflected sound starts to compete with the sound from the monitors. So there is definitely room for improvement, I am just constrained by my desk space :D And I want to keep the monitors as far away from the corner as possible so this is a working compromise. ;)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

dhruan

03 Sep 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

• Information