Big screen...?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
groovebox

01 Sep 2016

A bit OT but locally I see a 43" Philips screen and am really tempted...even though it is probably total overkill for Reason...

Philips BDM4350UC/75 43" 4K UHD IPS Monitor , 3840x2160 , MultiView ,Speakers , 4X USB3 Hub, 2x Display+2x HDMI +VGA , Wall Mountable , PIP-PBP , Speakers , 3 Years warranty

It's about $US 750...

How indulgent is this?

I know a few of you run dual monitors but man - imagine - everything on one big ass screen...

Wishing my life away...

:?

groovebox

01 Sep 2016

Damn now trying to think of reasons NOT to get it...

No easy way to test what Reason will look like...

pushedbutton

01 Sep 2016

I don't want to piss on your chips but I have a 1080p TV that shows Reason very nicely but I wouldn't want it to look much smaller on the screen and I still use a second monitor. If your only reason for getting that monitor is using Reason, spend the money on a video card with 3 outputs and buy yourself 2 more standard monitors. It'll be a lot more practical.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

aburazaru

01 Sep 2016

You could save a couple bucks and buy a 34" ultrawide, I love it!

How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

evolve187

01 Sep 2016

I agree with Pushedbutton...I run 3 monitors for Reason (2 - 22" and an old 17")...never having to switch between the 3 screens is a beautiful thing.

If you have a decent video card installed you can usually set it up in the BIOS to allow both it and the on-board card to operate simultaneously. (you can also set up two audio cards this way for routing audio in and out - but I digress)

For the third monitor I use a USB to video adapter. they are cheap ($50ish) I use that to run my lower resolution 17" where I like to have the rack.

You can get some good deals on sets of 2 or 3 monitors too - likely half the cost of the big screen - However there is some novelty in a huge screen!
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

groovebox

01 Sep 2016

LOL - hey thanks everyone...

I was just going to get just a 30" or a 2nd 24" and then I saw the 43" advertised (for what I think is quite a good price given how large it is) and I got to dreaming but it'd be over kill for little ol' me!

jonheal

01 Sep 2016

pushedbutton wrote:I don't want to piss on your chips but I have a 1080p TV that shows Reason very nicely but I wouldn't want it to look much smaller on the screen and I still use a second monitor. If your only reason for getting that monitor is using Reason, spend the money on a video card with 3 outputs and buy yourself 2 more standard monitors. It'll be a lot more practical.
I went through this on another thread, but I am thinking about getting a 32" 1080p TV to use as my monitor. How big is yours? I mostly want everything bigger on my screen, not more stuff on my screen.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

groovebox

02 Sep 2016

Mmm. Yes well most of my reason is that a lot of the RE controls are quite small and (due to old age - cough) a bit hard to see...

So yeah - more to do with that - plus if the controls are bigger then mouse "hit point" should be easier to aim for...

:)

Olivier

02 Sep 2016

I have to say, i've got my BDM4350 now for 3 weeks.. Its awesome !!
IMG_14402.JPG
IMG_14402.JPG (968.54 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Before i got it i worked on 2 screens. This is a much better workflow. Got one of my old ones on the side for FFT/Spectrograph/Phase Display.

Comparing the BDM3450 to other screens i found the following.

When looking at the bigger ultrawide screens of this size (to get readability to a usefull level), the biggest are usually 34. I see only a couple of 35". Most of them are 2560x1400 pixels and most of them are about the same price or more expensive.
Alternatively one can go for two 24 to 30 inch screens of 2560 x 1440. They will give around 7372800 pixels, which is less than a 4k screen @8294400 pixels. Prices of those start around 250. I'd go for the bigger ones for readability, and most of those are more expensive. Get 2 of them and will probably match or go over the price of the BDM4350.

So to me this screen is kind of a no brainer. I can read everything in front of me because its 43", and its close to the best price per pixel you can get.

Also, its height means i can get the SSL on it in one go.
Knipsel.PNG
Knipsel.PNG (354.66 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

groovebox

02 Sep 2016

Mmm thanks for that image...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2016

I run my laptop to a 4K Philips 49PUT4900 49" screen and love the real estate, it has changed my workflow for the better especially with the SSL as I don't have to scroll about so experimenting is... is just there at hand all the time.
I don't have any issues with racks, some people think the knobs are to small to work with.
The Seq. again is a dream to work with.

Paid £320 ($425)
Attachments
SSL 4k.jpg
SSL 4k.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 1758 times
Rack 4k.jpg
Rack 4k.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 1758 times

Olivier

02 Sep 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:I run my laptop to a 4K Philips 49PUT4900 49" screen and love the real estate, it has changed my workflow for the better especially with the SSL as I don't have to scroll about so experimenting is... is just there at hand all the time.
I don't have any issues with racks, some people think the knobs are to small to work with.

Paid £320 ($425)
Thats an incredibly good price for that screen :D
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2016

eauhm wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:I run my laptop to a 4K Philips 49PUT4900 49" screen and love the real estate, it has changed my workflow for the better especially with the SSL as I don't have to scroll about so experimenting is... is just there at hand all the time.

Paid £320 ($425)
Thats an incredibly good price for that screen :D
Argos sale, they still sell it for £369 which is still a good price.. :)

Vince-Noir-99

02 Sep 2016

Another large screen. It's an LG42UB820.

To be honest I ended up not using it much in 4k, as everything seemed too small for my preference, particularly text. The equivalent of 2K would have been just perfect, but I couldn't find a proper setting with the MacMini so I've been using it in 1080p resolution for the most part.

Before buying, check out the refresh rate: sone people find less than 60Hz impossible to use. And finally, check for colour accuracy with your setup: my LG had the blue a bit dull while in 1080p :?
hello RackExtensions.JPG
hello RackExtensions.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 1745 times

T.G.

02 Sep 2016

Hi Vince-Noir - have you tried using display port/thunderbolt instead of hdmi on the mac mini?

i've got a 2012 one and it doesn't support 4k - but apparently you can get higher res out of thunderbolt? I would love to know as i'm thinking of getting a bigger screen - would you recommend this one even in 1080p for the mac mini?

like the idea of an ultra wide screen, but the mac mini outputs seem to be the weakest link - any recommendations would be great.

Vince-Noir-99

02 Sep 2016

T.G. wrote:Hi Vince-Noir - have you tried using display port/thunderbolt instead of hdmi on the mac mini?

i've got a 2012 one and it doesn't support 4k - but apparently you can get higher res out of thunderbolt? I would love to know as i'm thinking of getting a bigger screen - would you recommend this one even in 1080p for the mac mini?

like the idea of an ultra wide screen, but the mac mini outputs seem to be the weakest link - any recommendations would be great.
I no longer have that setup, so I'm sorry if I'm not 100% accurate. I remember trying a bunch of settings and I think I had settled with the HDMI>HDMI, possibly because the TV didn't have MiniDisplay and I could get 4K anyway. I can tell for sure that at 4K the refresh rate was 30Hz, which didn't pose a problem to me, especially using Reason. My MacMini was a 2014 one with basic specs and SSD disk. At 4K the drag would become noticeable pretty easily after loading a few synths and FX (fan kicking in etc..).
As far as the 1080p experience, I personally think it is overkill for a 42" screen IF on the desk at about half meter from your eyes. I'm now using a humble 21.5" at 1080p and don't miss the 42" at all. Hope that helps.

T.G.

03 Sep 2016

thanks for the reply, i was thinking of a 25/29 inch ultrawide, at present got a 21" and it's just dying on me (lines on the screen etc..)

I fancy the extra width so i can have reason and something like irealpro or my sound cards mixer open at the same time, and not have to be switching between them, think i need to see the size of the screen in person - diagonal measurements are confusing :!:

Exowildebeest

03 Sep 2016

jonheal wrote:
pushedbutton wrote:I don't want to piss on your chips but I have a 1080p TV that shows Reason very nicely but I wouldn't want it to look much smaller on the screen and I still use a second monitor. If your only reason for getting that monitor is using Reason, spend the money on a video card with 3 outputs and buy yourself 2 more standard monitors. It'll be a lot more practical.
I went through this on another thread, but I am thinking about getting a 32" 1080p TV to use as my monitor. How big is yours? I mostly want everything bigger on my screen, not more stuff on my screen.
Be aware that things will get blurry at that size at 1080p. Text and small controls in Reason will look unsharp. Pixel density too low. Just not enough pixels.

I have a 27" 1080p screen and that really feels like the limit for that resolution.

jonheal

03 Sep 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:
jonheal wrote:
Be aware that things will get blurry at that size at 1080p. Text and small controls in Reason will look unsharp. Pixel density too low. Just not enough pixels.

I have a 27" 1080p screen and that really feels like the limit for that resolution.
Yes, I am OK with the fact that there will be increased visibility of individual pixels. Right now, I occasionally use the Windows Magnifier to enlarge to 150%. I generally don't like using the Magnifier for two reasons. First, the loss of screen real estate, and second, I don't like looking through a "moving portal." But when I do use it, the sweet spot for me is 150% because that magnification averages out the annoyances for me. One major annoyance that enlarging to 150% does induce, however, is that it makes the bitmap labels on Reason devices very crusty because the bitmaps are spread across an uneven increase in pixel density. Increasing magnification to 200% sharpens the bitmaps, but then you're looking at a very small section of screen real estate.

So ...

A 32" TV would effectively present me with bitmaps about 150% larger than what I see now on my 22" 1080p monitor, but the actual pixels used to render would be the same, so I won't suffer through the wonkiness that simply magnifying to 150% induces.

That's the plan, anyway. If it doesn't work out, I suppose I will sheepishly return the TV to Costco.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

• Information