Midi Controller/Mixing Board for Reason Mixing Console

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
BlueEddie

24 Aug 2016

Hi All,

It's been surprisingly hard to find anything about this online, so I figured I'd post here. Is anyone using a midi controller/mixing board hardware to control the virtual mixing console in Reason? Is this something people do, and if not is there a specific reason? I could see this being useful. If anyone is doing this and has recommendations on hardware they use for this that would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2016

Nektar Panorama works well with the mixer...

Click on the pictures to get more details..

Sorry for the big pics could not work out how to make them smaller with downloading and changing the size, thought there might have been away to do it with the tags..

dioxide

24 Aug 2016

I'm using a Vestax VCM600. They're discontinued but you might be able to find a second hand one on ebay. The controller was intended as a Ableton Live controller for DJs but it has more knobs per channel than anything else available and so makes a better mixer controller (IMO) than anything that involves multiple functions for one knob (like a Mackie Control).

There are only 6 channels but of course you can move the Remote Base Channel to scroll through the Mixer channels. I have a home rolled Remote map that I would be happy to share if you go down that route. This gives you a rough idea of the mapping but it has progressed since then also.

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 00#p273401

gullum

24 Aug 2016

I use icon qCon pro + 2 ext and they work grate with reason- for some reason I can only use the pro together with 1 ext combined but I use the 2. ext to control reason devices and RE's
and I have 2 writers blocks at the moment too
14055170_10154236276615239_6613077137050967391_n.jpg
14055170_10154236276615239_6613077137050967391_n.jpg (115.45 KiB) Viewed 6097 times

BlueEddie

26 Aug 2016

Thanks everyone for the responses, for some reason I wasn't notified and I just saw them now!

BlueEddie

26 Aug 2016

2 more questions occurred to me.

Can you use e.g. Vestax VCM600 for the mixer while using another e.g. keyboard for instruments, at the same time (i.e. you don't have to switch over from one to the other in midi settings)? I imagine it's just a question of what is set to control what i.e. mixer controls set to control mixer and keyboard is the "master" that controls instruments, but wanted to be sure first.

Also, can you set it up (and I believe you can) so that you have a template where you have config'd the Vestax VCM600 to control the mixer and your regular keyboard control the instruments/instrument knobs? So each time you open up the template to start a new song it's already set up?

Thanks!
dioxide wrote:I'm using a Vestax VCM600. They're discontinued but you might be able to find a second hand one on ebay. The controller was intended as a Ableton Live controller for DJs but it has more knobs per channel than anything else available and so makes a better mixer controller (IMO) than anything that involves multiple functions for one knob (like a Mackie Control).

There are only 6 channels but of course you can move the Remote Base Channel to scroll through the Mixer channels. I have a home rolled Remote map that I would be happy to share if you go down that route. This gives you a rough idea of the mapping but it has progressed since then also.

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 00#p273401

BlueEddie

26 Aug 2016

One more thing!! you mention you can "you can move the Remote Base Channel to scroll through the Mixer channels". I'm not familiar with this, anything you can share on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing it allows you to cycle through the track in Reason's mixer? If so, if you have configure the hardware controls to specific controls on Reason's mixer, does that then stay the same if you change channel?

Thanks!!

centomila

26 Aug 2016

I have a VCM-600 AND a Nektar P6 but i still prefer the VCM feeling :).

The VCM-600 is not natively supported by Reason. I've made a custom remote script. I've never published because... i don't know... i'm lazy as fuck :p.

If someone need it, just send me a private message :)

dioxide

28 Aug 2016

BlueEddie wrote:Can you use e.g. Vestax VCM600 for the mixer while using another e.g. keyboard for instruments, at the same time (i.e. you don't have to switch over from one to the other in midi settings)? I imagine it's just a question of what is set to control what i.e. mixer controls set to control mixer and keyboard is the "master" that controls instruments, but wanted to be sure first.

Also, can you set it up (and I believe you can) so that you have a template where you have config'd the Vestax VCM600 to control the mixer and your regular keyboard control the instruments/instrument knobs? So each time you open up the template to start a new song it's already set up?
What you do is lock the VCM (or other mixer controller) to the Master Mix Channel. This then allows you to control the entire mixer. The Nektar P1 also requires this. Your keyboard input (and Instrument control on the P1) is separate and you can set up your Master Keyboard as you do now. The map I have for the VCM doesn't include any instrument control as it is designed as a single use controller for the Mixer only.

I have a Reason Song template set up that already has the VCM locked to the Mixer so that any new documents I create already have it locked to the Master Channel. You will need to lock any old documents manually though, but it is a single right-click menu item so it isn't difficult to do.

dioxide

28 Aug 2016

BlueEddie wrote:One more thing!! you mention you can "you can move the Remote Base Channel to scroll through the Mixer channels". I'm not familiar with this, anything you can share on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing it allows you to cycle through the track in Reason's mixer? If so, if you have configure the hardware controls to specific controls on Reason's mixer, does that then stay the same if you change channel?
The VCM has a rotary dial at the bottom right hand side of the device that clicks when you turn it. I have this set up to change the Remote Base Channel, which moves scrolls one channel (left or right) in the Reason mixer per click. Only 6 channels are controllable at any one time. I have it set up so that the buttons and knobs on the right hand side control EQ or Compression for the selected Mix Channel. So you press a button on the channel (above the Fader) to select EQ controls for that channel, or another button to select Compression controls. The channel strip knobs always follow the channel/fader, so for example FX1 Send for channels 1-6 can be controlled at the same time. My method of mapping the EQ and Comp section means that only one channel at a time can be edited. There has to be compromises and I decided that with these kinds of focused editing you probably didn't need instant access to EQ or Compression, whereas FX sends and panning are part of the mix and it is good to have them instantly accessible in the channels. In theory you could edit the mapping to your taste though.

Currently I also have the Insert controls (knobs 1-4 and buttons 1-4) on the right of the VCM but I am tempted to move knobs 1-2 into each mix channel. This would allow me to easily adjust the inserts on all channels at the same time. So if you have a Combi mapped Scream or Chorus on the Inserts you could adjust the Damage Amount of LFO rate. The Mixer mapping really is powerful when you delve into it. Because the Mixer also includes a Combi Insert slot per channel and the Mixer allows you to control multiple channels at the same time, the VCM can control many controls all at the same time in a way that other controllers can't. Usually a controller is just used for a single device, such as for controlling an Instrument. The Mixer controller can control not only the mix channels but all of the Insert FX Combis that are within the mixer channels.

The Map I have for the VCM doesn't contain any mapping for the Master Channel though. It is possible to set up but I haven't done so as setting the Bus Compressor settings is a task that isn't performed as often so I gave priority to sculpting the sound on individual mix channels instead. The Map also doesn't contain and transport controls, it is designed solely as a map as if it was an audio mixer.

XysteR

06 Sep 2016

These seem to be decent, motored faders and pretty cheap too. I don't own or use one, but I'm thinking about it.

Reminiscence

10 Sep 2016

BCF2000 rules all. I got one.

nooomy

07 Aug 2018

Hey Im looking for a 16 channel USB fader. Anyone has some tips for what to buy?

jam-s

07 Aug 2018

wireless

15 Aug 2018

BlueEddie wrote:
24 Aug 2016
Hi All,

It's been surprisingly hard to find anything about this online, so I figured I'd post here. Is anyone using a midi controller/mixing board hardware to control the virtual mixing console in Reason? Is this something people do, and if not is there a specific reason? I could see this being useful. If anyone is doing this and has recommendations on hardware they use for this that would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
Hi BlueEddie,
I'm also interested in a more hands-on experience when it comes to using Reason's SSL mixer (and for using remotely mapped instrument and effect parameters). I've settled on the M-Audio Oxygen 25 for a while. Obviously a lesser experience than my M-Audio 61, but it has the merit of having 8 knobs, 8 pads and a fader. However, I'm growing out of that and getting restless for something better, but still in a reasonable budget.

I've come across some interesting articles from someone called Jaexx (anybody know how to do umlauts in this forum?).
He has created his own software mods to the Behringher X-Touch primarily to have it better integrate with Reason. Based solely on his articles, I'd say he's done an amazing job. Also, the X-Touch is reasonably priced (at about £450) with 8+1 motorised, touch-sensitive faders, but you can also purchase X-Touch extenders to make the mixing platform wider....

If you do nothing else, I reckon his article is well worth a read.
http://www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-custom ... 4038846541

He's also produced a solution for a midi controller aimed more at tighter integration with the instruments, and this is based on the original Ableton Live Push. One of the merits of this is that the Push has digital scribble pads, plus such an extensive set of memory banks behind the controls making it theoretically infinite in it's reach. That's well worth a read too....
http://www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-using- ... ontroller/

PS Jaexx is making copies of his coding available for free - what a guy!

Hope this helps....

violent grey

18 Aug 2018

Loving these cheap ass behringers... lol :D note the end caps come off so they could match up nicely, i had tape on them and couldnt really tell they were three different pieces from first glance.

and to match is the mixer.... very important to have the mixer match the way you want it. it takes me a few times to get it figured out sometimes, but it eventually works.

• Information