The EditorsKeys (tm) backlit keyboard

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
preemd
Posts: 18
Joined: 23 Jul 2016
Location: Slovenia

Post 25 Jul 2016

Does anyone use it and if yes, would you recommend it to a novice? Been a Reason user since 6.5 but never been much of a keyboard shortcut person, except for the occasional alt+mouse drawing and loop L/R locators setting.
Reason 9
M-Audio 2496 Delta
E-MU Xboard49

SunSetCity
Posts: 31
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jul 2016

Yes, I bought it by virtue of your very own reason. I've never been a shortcut guy but I always wanted to be one. So I thought that such a keyboard could help me remembering those shortcuts. To put a long story short, I bought it for 129 EUR and although it is a cool keyboard and a nice little helper but it is absolutely not worth its high price, in my point of view...

User avatar
preemd
Posts: 18
Joined: 23 Jul 2016
Location: Slovenia

Post 25 Jul 2016

SunSetCity wrote:Yes, I bought it by virtue of your very own reason. I've never been a shortcut guy but I always wanted to be one. So I thought that such a keyboard could help me remembering those shortcuts. To put a long story short, I bought it for 129 EUR and although it is a cool keyboard and a nice little helper but it is absolutely not worth its high price, in my point of view...
Thanks for the quick reply (and the pun :) ). Yeah the price is 125 EUR from what I can see now, and the postage is additional 25 EUR so I guess it might not be worth it. What are the negative aspects of it for you when you say it's not worth the price? Low build quality, poor backlight, something else?
Reason 9
M-Audio 2496 Delta
E-MU Xboard49

User avatar
Gorgon
Posts: 1233
Joined: 11 Mar 2016

Post 25 Jul 2016

preemd wrote:
SunSetCity wrote:Yes, I bought it by virtue of your very own reason. I've never been a shortcut guy but I always wanted to be one. So I thought that such a keyboard could help me remembering those shortcuts. To put a long story short, I bought it for 129 EUR and although it is a cool keyboard and a nice little helper but it is absolutely not worth its high price, in my point of view...
Thanks for the quick reply (and the pun :) ). Yeah the price is 125 EUR from what I can see now, and the postage is additional 25 EUR so I guess it might not be worth it. What are the negative aspects of it for you when you say it's not worth the price? Low build quality, poor backlight, something else?
There's always the chance of PH changing up the keys in the next version (like they did in R8) so that your expensive keyboard isn't accurate anymore.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 323
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jul 2016

I was about to pick up one of those, but finally I got a corsair k70 RGB, I setup my keys in color codes for each program...it is a great keyboard and only 50-70€ more than the editorskeys.

SunSetCity
Posts: 31
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 26 Jul 2016

The build quality is acceptable but not that good. The shiny black surface is not fully polished, so there are a few very dull spots everywhere. The backlight is very good but the print on some keys is very weak. In those cases you have to guess the symbol on it... For 60 EUR it would be a real good keyboard worth the price but for the double of it, meh! And of course, what Gorgon said is absolutely true, too. You always have to hope, that PH doesn't chance their key layout in the future.

However, the Corsair K70 RGB seems to be an interesting (but expensive as well) alternative.

User avatar
preemd
Posts: 18
Joined: 23 Jul 2016
Location: Slovenia

Post 26 Jul 2016

SunSetCity wrote:The build quality is acceptable but not that good. The shiny black surface is not fully polished, so there are a few very dull spots everywhere. The backlight is very good but the print on some keys is very weak. In those cases you have to guess the symbol on it... For 60 EUR it would be a real good keyboard worth the price but for the double of it, meh! And of course, what Gorgon said is absolutely true, too. You always have to hope, that PH doesn't chance their key layout in the future.

However, the Corsair K70 RGB seems to be an interesting (but expensive as well) alternative.
Thanks, your and Gorgon's advice saved me 150 EUR :D For now I'll just stick with this ancient Logitech keyboard and maybe use the money on some REs. The cheapest K70 here is 220 EUR so not gonna go down that road yet.
Reason 9
M-Audio 2496 Delta
E-MU Xboard49

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 323
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 26 Jul 2016

k70 is 169€ in Spain...I think 220 is a bit expensive too. The keys are perfect anyway...mechanic and individually replaceable.
My last logitech keyboard lasted me almost 8 years and it was a shitty one. I hope the k70 last almost forever.

User avatar
ejanuska
Posts: 680
Joined: 27 May 2016
Location: USA

Post 26 Jul 2016

I have one, like new for sale. I'll sell it to you, US $90 + shipping. DM me if interested.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: aallvor, CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests