Propellerhead Reason controller?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

15 Jul 2016

jonheal wrote:Is Livid still in business? Their web site has some broken links.
Better be . They're shipping my Minim soon says an email I received JUST two days ago:
"The status of order #XXXXX is now Awaiting Fulfillment"

Their offerings seem slim now. Trials of the hardware business.
Bass1 seems more popular than Bass2(usually on sale)
Alias 8 seems gone.

The minim though... Base pads, capacitive faders...

bxbrkrz

17 Jul 2016

Is Novation's Automap a viable option in 2016 if I don't want a Netkar Panorama? I really love the look of the P1/P4, but the feel of the keybed is not my style
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Faastwalker

18 Jul 2016

Raveshaper wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:What I was thinking was a simple bank of 32 endless rotary encoders with LEDs to indicate the position of whatever each encoder was controlling.
You mean...this?
http://lividinstruments.com/news/code-version-2/
I NEED that controller! Very nice. The Livid stuff is pricey & I'm not sure there is a Remote Codec for the Code 2 (unless the Code 1 works). It’s one of the top choices out there otherwise for sure.

The Little MIDI fighter Twister looks really cool as well & it’s very affordable. Only 16 controls though & no Remote Codec for this. Anyone have any experience creating Codecs for a MIDI controller? There’s an article in SoS about this. Might have a ready & see what I’d be letting myself in for.

To the people that mentioned the Behringer BCR2000 – definitely a sweet controller at the price. Shame it looks like it does but you can’t have everything I suppose.

Top contenders so far;

Nektar Panorama P1
Behringer BCR2000
(Livid Instruments Code 2 - DISCONTINUED)
Last edited by Faastwalker on 18 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Ahornberg

18 Jul 2016

Faastwalker wrote:Anyone have any experience creating Codecs for a MIDI controller?
I wrote the codecs for Controller 1 based on this codecs: http://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.co ... emote.html

Faastwalker

18 Jul 2016

....... scrub the Livid Instruments Code 2 from that list above - it's discontinued;

http://lividinstruments.com/products/legacy/
Last edited by Faastwalker on 18 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

18 Jul 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:Anyone have any experience creating Codecs for a MIDI controller?
I wrote the codecs for Controller 1 based on this codecs: http://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.co ... emote.html
Good stuff ;) Is it tricky to get your head around?

BTW, here's a link to the SoS article on Remote 'hacking' if anyone is interested;
http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ ... les-reason

Ahornberg

18 Jul 2016

Faastwalker wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:

BTW, here's a link to the SoS article on Remote 'hacking' if anyone is interested;
I really don't know how I got it to work but it works ;)

O1B

18 Jul 2016

FW, maybe slow down. You seem to be misrepresenting the capabilities of certain devices.

Specifically, there are ALSO 16 momentary button on the MFT - more than Code 2(for less) and 4 Banks. And scripts can be easily found all over the web, or on their main site.

Also the color palate and lights of the MFT is very modifiable a la the TFPro but much more so: Dynamic LED feedback. nice.

I just want to avoid misinformation. If there's any here, by all means give me a heads up. It can sequence Redrum or the AS-16. It can track CV values: (LFO), pan, gain reduction, whatever - all color and dynamically customized.
For all others in the fence, its a great device. I'd have a few if I had room, $$$, ....
O1B
Faastwalker wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:

jonheal

18 Jul 2016

O1B wrote:FW, maybe slow down. You seem to be misrepresenting the capabilities of certain devices.

Specifically, there are ALSO 16 momentary button on the MFT - more than Code 2(for less) and 4 Banks. And scripts can be easily found all over the web, or on their main site.

Also the color palate and lights of the MFT is very modifiable a la the TFPro but much more so: Dynamic LED feedback. nice.

I just want to avoid misinformation. If there's any here, by all means give me a heads up. It can sequence Redrum or the AS-16. It can track CV values: (LFO), pan, gain reduction, whatever - all color and dynamically customized.
For all others in the fence, its a great device. I'd have a few if I had room, $$$, ....
O1B
Faastwalker wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:

One question: Their web site mentions the mode to allow the knobs to have "super fine control." I am pretty sure this is not possible with my BCR2000 and Reason. Does this feature of the MFT work in Reason?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Ahornberg

18 Jul 2016

jonheal wrote:
O1B wrote:FW, maybe slow down. You seem to be misrepresenting the capabilities of certain devices.

O1B
Faastwalker wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:

One question: Their web site mentions the mode to allow the knobs to have "super fine control." I am pretty sure this is not possible with my BCR2000 and Reason. Does this feature of the MFT work in Reason?
I can't speak for the MIDI Fighter Twister, but on Console 1 in MIDI mode the values from 0 to 127 are transmitted in steps of 3, and wenn the "fine"-button is held while turning a knob the steps are 1. This is very handy and I seldom need the "fine" resolution.

jonheal

18 Jul 2016

I guess what you describe basically emulates the functionality of holding down the Shift key on the keyboard. I wonder if there is a means to do a similar thing with the BCR2000?

jonheal

18 Jul 2016

jonheal wrote:I guess what you describe basically emulates the functionality of holding down the Shift key on the keyboard. I wonder if there is a means to do a similar thing with the BCR2000?
I never noticed this before, but holding down the Shift key while dragging the mouse doesn't actually get you finer increments from the knob you're turning. It just makes it easier to step through the increments. If you have a steady hand, you get just as many steps.

O1B

18 Jul 2016

Sorry Dude. On vacation... Deyah ina Jamaica, man.
No MFT .... Unfortunately... I have my Air so I should have brought it with.

Just checked the manual. Nothing sticks out. Gotta try when I get home.
But I do dig the deep encoder "switch" versatility (pg 12)

I appreciate this thread. New appreciation for the MFT.
jonheal wrote:I guess what you describe basically emulates the functionality of holding down the Shift key on the keyboard. I wonder if there is a means to do a similar thing with the BCR2000?

Faastwalker

19 Jul 2016

O1B
Point taken. A very capable little device for sure. 16 knobs (albeit with 4 banks) is a bit of a drawback. I'm thinking at least 24-32 for serious synth control. But the Twister would fit nicely on top of my existing controller with it's tiny footprint. Definitely an interesting option at the price & amazing some of the features they've put in there. I did email the company some time ago regarding a Remote codec & they said they didn't do one. But that was a while ago. Are their Remote codecs available for this now?

https://store.djtechtools.com/products/ ... er-twister

Ahornberg

19 Jul 2016

Faastwalker wrote:

O1B
Point taken. A very capable little device for sure. 16 knobs (albeit with 4 banks) is a bit of a drawback. I'm thinking at least 24-32 for serious synth control. But the Twister would fit nicely on top of my existing controller with it's tiny footprint. Definitely an interesting option at the price & amazing some of the features they've put in there. I did email the company some time ago regarding a Remote codec & they said they didn't do one. But that was a while ago. Are their Remote codecs available for this now?

https://store.djtechtools.com/products/ ... er-twister
Yes, I thought about the Twister before I went on Console 1 ... the BCR2000 doesn't look that cool (maybe coloring the BCR2000 by hand would help)

O1B

19 Jul 2016

WOW! Loving that Console 1. That is a really Nice System. What - if any - are the Drawbacks?
I mean, we know NO REASON... but LoGiC or Studio One's cool. I can't really see a downside does it save/recall settings?
That thing is pretty straight-forward if Im looking at it right.

The R&D that goes into Producing is Insane. But, if you want to do it once, do it right, and have a little regret as poss...
The Console one doesn't replace a step sequencer (BCR/TFP/MFT/P1/Beatstep)- nor does it replace a 'pre-amped' interface (Xr-18/Xtouch, StudioLive CS18AI - Nice!!)
- But, for multi-track-HW-like SSL/Console control - it is it's own SuperBeast, it seems.

How nice are those filters??

Ahornberg wrote:Yes, I thought about the Twister before I went on Console 1 ... the BCR2000 doesn't look that cool (maybe coloring the BCR2000 by hand would help)

Faastwalker

19 Jul 2016

I emailed DJ Tech Tools about the MIDI Fighter Twister Remote support;
Faastwalker
Jul 18, 21:11 PDT
Hi,
Is there a Remote Codec available for the MIDI Fighter Twister? I'm thinking of buying one of these to use with Propellerhead Reason.
Thanks.

Matías (DJ TechTools)
Jul 19, 06:33 PDT
Hey Faastwalker,
Thanks for reaching out to DJ Techtools! Unfortunately there are no official Reason tools for our Midi Fighters, you might have some luck finding one in our forums or it should be fairly easy to map it yourself.
If you have any other questions let me know!
Regards,
Matías
I've been checking some videos of the Twister on YouTube. Looks really good actually. The build appears to be a lot more solid than it looks. Might do some more research on the DJ Tools forums to find out about existing mappings or creating one. I'm warming up nicely to the Twister, especially for the price. Just need to find an outlet here in Aus - shipping direct is $40 min + the possibility of import tax!

O1B

19 Jul 2016

I got it on sale. It's a utility to me, a great one..
But I'm with most on Nektar (P1, mostly) when it comes to SSL/Sequencer/Instrument(Rack) + the R9 update!!

$219 is lots - plus AUS fees... sorry.. so consider that. If you're Kosh or Gollum with scripting, no problemo.
I get lost in the MFT when I get going, and just start experimenting. The instructions are straightforward.
On the next sale, Ill grab the Midi Fighter 3D ($129) (gyroscope, accelerometer and compass)
... I wish I had gotten it already though.

There is no END, Friend: https://store.djtechtools.com/products/midi-fighter-3d

PS Im sold on the Console 1: Checking with Sweetwater on delivery timing.

Ahornberg

20 Jul 2016

O1B wrote:WOW! Loving that Console 1. That is a really Nice System. What - if any - are the Drawbacks?
I mean, we know NO REASON... but LoGiC or Studio One's cool. I can't really see a downside does it save/recall settings?
That thing is pretty straight-forward if Im looking at it right.

The R&D that goes into Producing is Insane. But, if you want to do it once, do it right, and have a little regret as poss...
The Console one doesn't replace a step sequencer (BCR/TFP/MFT/P1/Beatstep)- nor does it replace a 'pre-amped' interface (Xr-18/Xtouch, StudioLive CS18AI - Nice!!)
- But, for multi-track-HW-like SSL/Console control - it is it's own SuperBeast, it seems.

How nice are those filters??
Ahornberg wrote:Yes, I thought about the Twister before I went on Console 1 ... the BCR2000 doesn't look that cool (maybe coloring the BCR2000 by hand would help)
:exclamation: Off-topic: The Console 1 VST-software is simply a channel-strip plugin, modeling a SSL4000E (and a SSL9000 and a Neve console and it is possible to use any other EQ and compressor plugin made by Softube to replace parts of the channel-strip) and they added a parallel knob for the compressor, two drive knobs and a transient shaper for coloring the sound. Yes, it saves/recalls settings and there seems to be a good integration into Studio One (better than in Bitwig or Renoise). Personally in VST-land I like the parallel compression and the extended frequency range of the EQ bands. The filters sound good, a bit "aggressive" compared to Reason's mixer.

O1B

20 Jul 2016

:exclamation: Of Topic (*2) Andrew Scheps Meets the Intrancer: :|
Oh, I'm 99% in on the Console 1. Just gotta Watch the console video w/A. Scheps, posted on Rtalk somewhere.
"The filters sound good, a bit "aggressive" compared to Reason's mixer." - Yes, pls.
I can MFT or Nek P1 TubeTech in R9, but with C1, I can get right to work in logic with minimal distraction.
I really only wanted to stay in Logic long enough to Balance, Pan, eQ, and Dynamically Control Tracks (Logic/SSL/VST-Land), and the C1 seems perfect to use alongside. R9 still feels most like Home Base..
Ahornberg wrote::exclamation: Off-topic: The Console 1 VST-software is simply a channel-strip plugin, modeling a SSL4000E (and a SSL9000 and a Neve console and it is possible to use any other EQ and compressor plugin made by Softube to replace parts of the channel-strip) and they added a parallel knob for the compressor, two drive knobs and a transient shaper for coloring the sound. Yes, it saves/recalls settings and there seems to be a good integration into Studio One (better than in Bitwig or Renoise). Personally in VST-land I like the parallel compression and the extended frequency range of the EQ bands. The filters sound good, a bit "aggressive" compared to Reason's mixer.

AttenuationHz

21 Jul 2016

It would be nice to have a dedicated controller for reason but sadly you would need one that looked like all of the devices and the only way around that would to be buying different control surfaces. Retouch Control do an iPad app that turns the screen into the control surfaces for different devices in reason but there is nothing the same as being able to physically touch a control and changing the sound. I remember seeing a kickstarter a few years ago tuna or something that stuck to touch screens.
tuna.png
tuna.png (171.67 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

O1B

23 Jul 2016

Tuna knobs. 4-6 for $70-100.
I may order. There are plenty of apps that could use this at different times. like, TRAXUS.
Thanks for the Reminder.
O1B
AttenuationHz wrote:I remember seeing a kickstarter a few years ago tuna or something that stuck to touch screens.
tuna.png

O1B

06 Aug 2016

Live input multi tracked into Reason : Behringer - UFX1204
4 Mono w/Compression (Top Left)
4 Stereo w/same 4Band EQ (Blue) as MONO channels.
2 FX slots - or use the "Onboard* Unit w/ TAP tempo (Red/Orange)
Onboard 16 track recording (usb Stick), or
16 track Audio Interface control w/Transport Controls (Lower Right)
Track 13 and 14 (mono) records FX1 and 2 Respectively…. Nice.

[Those lil red buttons marked INPUT can send DAW audio BACK to the Board through Channels 9/10 and 11/2.]
(The Last two Stereo Channels).
It was literally plug n play…. with XTouch, Reason Control (SEQ/Mixer) is Achieved… (XR-18 FX for a 2nd Opinion/ Double Tracking)
Image\
...Console 1 for Logic/Reaper...

retango

01 Oct 2016

Hi! I have use a Novation 25 SL MKII, and while it's a little bit old now, it's really great for controlling Reason, particularly synths (built in and rack extensions) and effects. It requires some programming of the Automap templates (Automap is the software interface between the keyboard and Reason, the templates that come by default are a little disorganized, and have no rack extensions), but once you have them, its great.

It has 32 buttons with on-off status, 8 faders, 8 infinite encoders, 8 normal encoders, 8 velocity sensitive drum pads, a pith bend-mod joystick, and a xy touch pad. One row of 8 buttons also can work as transport. It has 1 screen that tells you the name and value of 8 controls at a time, and as soon as you touch a control it shows the names for that group (controls are touch sensitive). If you want, you can also see the funcion for each controller on the PC screen on the Automap software (there is a "View" button in the MKII for this). Buttons can be programmed on-off, or to step several values. In Reason, you can choose between controlling the mixer, or a device in the rack, and is easy to change tracks and presets.. For each device, you can have several "pages" of controls - e.g. page 1: Oscillators and envelopes, Page 2: Lfos and filters, etc.. (you cannot show a name for the pages though)

The Automap template editor is complete but lacks some basic functionality and is buggy (e.g. you cannot copy controls for one page to another, when you move controls within a same page you loose parameters, you cannot reorder pages, etc..), but you should only need to program each template once and then you are done - and there is a learn function that makes programming fast. (I programmed templates for the main Reason synths and some rack extensions which I'll upload on another thread when finished). For rack extensions, you'll need to add the device to the remotemap file using "Pot 1", "Pot 2", "Pot 3", etc.. (order doesn't matter) and then make all the template programming in the Automap editor (see here https://tonalaxis.wordpress.com/2014/01 ... s-automap/ - also note the Novation's site incorrectly states that you cannot control Rack extensions.. that's false!)

The SL MKII may not be as integrated to Reason as the Nektar series (e.g. you can't add devices from the keyboard), but in comparison with what I've seen (I don't own a Nektar), you can have direct access to more synth functions (without menus) from the SL MKII, and is easier to see what function corresponds to each button / slider / encoder (touch sensitive controls are great for this!). For the infinite encoders, it is also easier to see the current value of each one - you see it directly in the control. The SL MKII is also very good for controlling VSTs and other DAWs, and you have versions with more keys.

I currently use it with a Push 2 with Pusher, which is way better for controlling drum devices, and for general functions (add tracks, devices, etc...), and it's awesome - although it's somehow expensive for using only with Reason.

:reason: :rebirth: :re: :PUF_balance: :PUF_figure:

sonicbyte

04 Oct 2016

Why not a Qcon Pro or the new Qcon Pro X?

http://iconproaudio.com/product/qcon-pro/

• Information