Need absorbers? Get Basotect!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
normen

12 Jul 2016

Hey,

as I am finally getting around to setting up my studio in my new-old home I also looked into acoustic treatment with absorbers and bass traps. While I almost went the way of creating them myself using rock wool I found a relatively new type of acoustic foam called "Basotect". The specs looked very promising so I got a bunch of 100x50x10cm wall absorbers and a bunch of 100x48x48 triangle bass traps to fit them into the studio.

And boy was I impressed when I set a few of them up and tried around with screaming into the foam etc. One can clearly hear that this is not some random foam but stuff made for the purpose! Just putting the triangle absorbers in the corners of the room already massively changed the reverberance and frequency response of the room. Having worked and experimented with many kinds of absorbers I really have to say these things deliver. And they're not too pricey either. Highly recommended!

The foam itself is quite lightweight but can be easily ripped by pushing a finger in too hard. So its somewhat fragile but on the other hand easy to cut and shape without getting nasty dust or anything like that.

MarkTarlton

12 Jul 2016

good to know normen!

for those of you that are in the us, I found a good product that tames high frequencies, and it's by using recycled products invented by a drummer...very easy to use and you can do all sorts of cool things like kick drum tunnel, make shift iso booth, piano isolation when you have the top propped up and need to tighten up bleed...there are multiple uses which is great if you are on a budget.

selig
RE Developer

12 Jul 2016

normen wrote:Hey,

as I am finally getting around to setting up my studio in my new-old home I also looked into acoustic treatment with absorbers and bass traps. While I almost went the way of creating them myself using rock wool I found a relatively new type of acoustic foam called "Basotect". The specs looked very promising so I got a bunch of 100x50x10cm wall absorbers and a bunch of 100x48x48 triangle bass traps to fit them into the studio.

And boy was I impressed when I set a few of them up and tried around with screaming into the foam etc. One can clearly hear that this is not some random foam but stuff made for the purpose! Just putting the triangle absorbers in the corners of the room already massively changed the reverberance and frequency response of the room. Having worked and experimented with many kinds of absorbers I really have to say these things deliver. And they're not too pricey either. Highly recommended!

The foam itself is quite lightweight but can be easily ripped by pushing a finger in too hard. So its somewhat fragile but on the other hand easy to cut and shape without getting nasty dust or anything like that.
Pretty amazing properties, will definitely check it out for future projects!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

12 Jul 2016

selig wrote:Pretty amazing properties, will definitely check it out for future projects!
Indeed they are, these graphs are pretty amazing:

The 50cm triangle bass traps got rid of some nasty problems around 120Hz that I had in the room, the 10cm thick ones at the wall absorb pretty much everything above 400Hz (and even further down do a lot). And in a very consistent manner, no strange peaks or nulls or anything. You really kind of have to be aware of not taking away too much but you have complete control with this stuff, no second guessing. Being more of a "dead room is best" kind of guy this stuff is made of unicorn dust to me ;)

Heres a link to the BASF page about it: http://www.plasticsportal.net/wa/plasti ... properties

selig
RE Developer

12 Jul 2016

normen wrote:
selig wrote:Pretty amazing properties, will definitely check it out for future projects!
Indeed they are, these graphs are pretty amazing:

The 50cm triangle bass traps got rid of some nasty problems around 120Hz that I had in the room, the 10cm thick ones at the wall absorb pretty much everything above 400Hz (and even further down do a lot). And in a very consistent manner, no strange peaks or nulls or anything. You really kind of have to be aware of not taking away too much but you have complete control with this stuff, no second guessing. Being more of a "dead room is best" kind of guy this stuff is made of unicorn dust to me ;)

Heres a link to the BASF page about it: http://www.plasticsportal.net/wa/plasti ... properties
That IS impressive, especially when you compare to other foam that rarely does much of anything below 2 kHz. These are approaching broadband absorption capabilities!
Selig Audio, LLC

JCBendock

12 Jul 2016

I can't find anywhere to buy it . Is it available in the U.S.

• Information