Focursite Saffire Loopback

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
qoreybeats

03 Jul 2016

Hey guys so i've been using the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 to record vst's into Reason but I was wondering if anyone who uses this method knows how to record only the vst audio instead everything playing. For ex: if I print the vst midi to audio while the metronome is on it will record that aswell. Any suggestions?

DJDark2010

03 Jul 2016

First record midi line with vst and metronome, then turn metronome off and record audio to a new audioline. you have to record all your vst lines separately ... thats how you do it with one audiocard. if you have two audiocards, then you can choose the vst output to go through audio card 1 and record and monitor it on audiocard 2 ... audiocard 2 is then also the main audiocard for reason.
Last edited by DJDark2010 on 04 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Gorgon

04 Jul 2016

qoreybeats wrote:Hey guys so i've been using the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 to record vst's into Reason but I was wondering if anyone who uses this method knows how to record only the vst audio instead everything playing. For ex: if I print the vst midi to audio while the metronome is on it will record that aswell. Any suggestions?
Which VST host are you using?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

qoreybeats

04 Jul 2016

Gorgon wrote:
qoreybeats wrote:Hey guys so i've been using the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 to record vst's into Reason but I was wondering if anyone who uses this method knows how to record only the vst audio instead everything playing. For ex: if I print the vst midi to audio while the metronome is on it will record that aswell. Any suggestions?
Which VST host are you using?
Hosting AU http://ju-x.com/Hosting%20AU.html. Is there another one I should use?

OverneathTheSkyBridg

09 Jul 2016

I have a Saffire Pro 40 and use the loopback feature all the time. If you're using a Mac you can use it's built in IAC MIDI Loopback and send MIDI from Reason's EMI device. If you're on a PC use one of the many MIDI loopback softwares out there. When you're satisfied with your MIDI, solo the EMI and record the loopback into an audio track. Crude but effective! :)

DoubleStop

04 Sep 2016

Hi,

I am exploring using loopback with my Saffire Pro 24... but there is a unique issue I am noticing that I don't encounter with other DAW's so much.. There has to be a way a round this!!! So, in my VST (or really any standalone Audio producing application - I am using NI Reaktor for example) I get the loopback working fine and Reason 9 records the audio and MIDI just fine... However, I am noticing that the extern instrument's output options are "monitors 1 and 2" or any of the other Line outputs on the Saffire. This means that if am wish to switch to a different Reason Instrument .. the output of the non-Reason applicatoin still sounds!!! What I would Like to do is turn off the monitoring of the external instrument WITHIN Reason and not hear the instrument while I play another Reason or Non-Reason instrument!! as it stands, the only kludgy workaround is to either close or alter the MIDI input of the external device!... but I can't find a way to do this!!

The way I can see this would work properly is if I had a way to route the loopback audio to a separate Reason Input bus channel! so that Reason's Mixer controlled all the audio output ... instead of routing the external instrument out directly to the Monitors. Is there any way to do this? i know I can do it in other DAW's like Ableton and Cubase.

qoreybeats

04 Sep 2016

DoubleStop wrote:Hi,

I am exploring using loopback with my Saffire Pro 24... but there is a unique issue I am noticing that I don't encounter with other DAW's so much.. There has to be a way a round this!!! So, in my VST (or really any standalone Audio producing application - I am using NI Reaktor for example) I get the loopback working fine and Reason 9 records the audio and MIDI just fine... However, I am noticing that the extern instrument's output options are "monitors 1 and 2" or any of the other Line outputs on the Saffire. This means that if am wish to switch to a different Reason Instrument .. the output of the non-Reason applicatoin still sounds!!! What I would Like to do is turn off the monitoring of the external instrument WITHIN Reason and not hear the instrument while I play another Reason or Non-Reason instrument!! as it stands, the only kludgy workaround is to either close or alter the MIDI input of the external device!... but I can't find a way to do this!!

The way I can see this would work properly is if I had a way to route the loopback audio to a separate Reason Input bus channel! so that Reason's Mixer controlled all the audio output ... instead of routing the external instrument out directly to the Monitors. Is there any way to do this? i know I can do it in other DAW's like Ableton and Cubase.
I have solved Reason's biggest problem.

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

Your welcome.

platzangst

05 Sep 2016

Well, maybe you've solved it for Mac users.

XysteR

06 Sep 2016

platzangst wrote:Well, maybe you've solved it for Mac users.
There are plenty of virtual audio cables for the PC too - I used to use them and a lot of them are free! I find a better solution is to use 2 audio interfaces. I use a Pro 24 DSP as my main audio interface for Reason. I bought a cheap Edirol UA-25EX to use as the main audio device for my VST wrapper - this is patched into audio inputs 3-4 on the Pro 24 DSP. Perfect! No messing about with virtual cables.

• Information