They did it again! - ARTURIA releases Synclavier V

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
marcuswitt

19 May 2016

Once more, ARTURIA has just released a reissue of one of the best, most innovative, most powerful as well as most expensive electronic musical instruments of the past: the SYNCLAVIER. Amazing! Although not available as a Rack Extansion, that Plugin is an instant buy... not only because I used to have a pre-owned Synclavier for about four years. Fortunatelly, what used to be a huge, bulky and noisy machine is now available to be used on an ordinary PC or MAC. Simply awesome!

For more details go to:

https://www.arturia.com/synclavier-v/overview

Cheers!

Lizard

19 May 2016

Tis cool for sure! And if you are a V-Collection owner you can upgrade for $199 I think. That brings you the Syclavier, B-3, Farfisa, Piano and the Stage 73 instruments too. Pretty good deal IMO.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

20 May 2016

Stop doing this to us!!! Looking at the upgrade options... already on V4....

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

21 May 2016

yeah we upgraded v4 synths... holy fuck they're good now :D

Lizard

21 May 2016

I just upgraded and pleased as ever. As I was a V4 owner the upgrade was only $199. On it's own the Synclavier V is $199 so it was like getting the other 4 that were not in the V4 collection for free..... kind of. :) Also every other synth was upgraded with new patch navigation and welcoming GUI's. The benefit is to the upgrader of course. Buying the full package now excludes getting the Spark 2 drum machine which is no longer included in the V-Collection. Still.... there are 17 full products in this package. Right now it is $399usd at an introductory offer. So to save everyone the time from pulling out a calculator that is $23.47 a piece! Not only are these vst's (of course) they are also stand alone products. They work wonderfully when driven using Reason's EMI device through a virtual midi cable.

Gulale

21 May 2016

will you lose Spark when you upgrade or is it going to be still there? If I lose it, I won't upgrade.
Gulale aka Bereket

Lizard

21 May 2016

Gulale wrote:will you lose Spark when you upgrade or is it going to be still there? If I lose it, I won't upgrade.
No. You will keep spark in an upgrade as you will also keep all the V2 versions. It's just not in the V5. Purchasers of V5 for the first time do not get Spark.

decibel

21 May 2016

arturia V Collection 4 is on special in australia for the entire month of june for only $299 aud, very tempting

* i think there is an introductory price for V Collection 5 that rounds out to about $555 aud

hmmmm ? i wonder how many months i can survive on tinned beans and instant ramen ? lol

mreese80

21 May 2016

upgrading from 4 to 5
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

platzangst

22 May 2016

Wow, expensive AND a hassle to install. I like the idea of having access to a Synclavier engine, but I don't like it that much.

Gulale

22 May 2016

Is the version 5 installer is changed? when I was installing version 4, I connected to the internet and the rest is history. It took care of it by itself.

BTW, I thought the upgrade price was 100 when I looked in my account. Now I understand it is for version 4 update only. The upgrade is 200.
Gulale aka Bereket

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

22 May 2016

We've only updated v4 synths to v5, so sort of a 75% of V5 is now what we have licenses for. Worth the upgrade, some really neat extras plus the GUIs oh they've excelled now, looks like supporting 4K sized synths too

decibel

22 May 2016

if anybody see's any retailers offering big discounts on V5 over the next month please share links/news on his thread,
definitely have my eye on this bundle now, especially after watching some of he promo vids ;)

Lizard

22 May 2016

platzangst wrote:Wow, expensive AND a hassle to install. I like the idea of having access to a Synclavier engine, but I don't like it that much.
I've only had the collection since V3 which came with the Arturia Software Center so I really can't speak for earlier version but in my experience it was about as slick as could be. Once you purchase and the license is automatically assigned to your account you load the Arturia Software Center on your computer. On it you log on to your account (same as web credentials) and it will show you all your licensed products. I think all you have to do there is click "Activate" and then load all of the ones of your choosing and you are done. I suppose it is a little frustrating that each one has it's own installer but in fairness they are all marketed as individual products.

On the subject of expensive I find that is always from the prospective of the buyer so this is an un-arguable subject. Yes. Each can retail individually for $149 to $199 as it appears. As a group they are currently offered at $399 which I earlier pointed out at around $24 a piece. You can hardly touch any an Re instrument at that price and these are classic hardware emulations of much sought after equipment. For anyone that considers their music anything more than a whimsical hobby this could be considered an investment. I know I've spent more on less. :)

platzangst

22 May 2016

Lizard wrote:Once you purchase and the license is automatically assigned to your account you load the Arturia Software Center on your computer.
Hence, the hassle. It's yet another bit of software to install and take up space, and have to run (and maybe even always have it running in the background?) that only serves the purpose of installing other software, maybe managing licenses. So if the Synclavier is the only thing I'm interested in I have to commit to this other thing as well. And it's not as if I was going to be running some kind of Arturia DAW, these are VST plugins. Drop them in the VST folder and be done with it! But no.

Since I don't have any previous versions, I'd be shelling out 200 bucks for it, and I'm just not that into the Synclavier, (nor do I care to buy a bundle of other synth emulations I would likely never use, just to feel like each individual price is a bargain). For less than that I could upgrade to R9.

mreese80

22 May 2016

Lizard wrote:I just upgraded and pleased as ever. As I was a V4 owner the upgrade was only $199. On it's own the Synclavier V is $199 so it was like getting the other 4 that were not in the V4 collection for free..... kind of. :) Also every other synth was upgraded with new patch navigation and welcoming GUI's. The benefit is to the upgrader of course. Buying the full package now excludes getting the Spark 2 drum machine which is no longer included in the V-Collection. Still.... there are 17 full products in this package. Right now it is $399usd at an introductory offer. So to save everyone the time from pulling out a calculator that is $23.47 a piece! Not only are these vst's (of course) they are also stand alone products. They work wonderfully when driven using Reason's EMI device through a virtual midi cable.

Since you upgraded, can you tell me if the presets seem different to you Mini V3 vs V2. Some of the sounds from the V2 are not present in the V3. Unless i'm overlooking them.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Lizard

22 May 2016

mreese80 wrote:
Lizard wrote:I just upgraded and pleased as ever. As I was a V4 owner the upgrade was only $199. On it's own the Synclavier V is $199 so it was like getting the other 4 that were not in the V4 collection for free..... kind of. :) Also every other synth was upgraded with new patch navigation and welcoming GUI's. The benefit is to the upgrader of course. Buying the full package now excludes getting the Spark 2 drum machine which is no longer included in the V-Collection. Still.... there are 17 full products in this package. Right now it is $399usd at an introductory offer. So to save everyone the time from pulling out a calculator that is $23.47 a piece! Not only are these vst's (of course) they are also stand alone products. They work wonderfully when driven using Reason's EMI device through a virtual midi cable.

Since you upgraded, can you tell me if the presets seem different to you Mini V3 vs V2. Some of the sounds from the V2 are not present in the V3. Unless i'm overlooking them.
I have not yet run any comparisons between the two but will do so and get back to you on that. Adding the new versions do not overwrite the older ones so it should be easy to do.

@platzangst - I'll respect your thoughts on this. It probably isn't for you. If the software center program is trouble for you then I will say it surely isn't worth it. For me the 38.2MB of additional software actually made things easier and only needs to be run to install or updrade/update.

mreese80

22 May 2016

Lizard wrote:Tis cool for sure! And if you are a V-Collection owner you can upgrade for $199 I think. That brings you the Syclavier, B-3, Farfisa, Piano and the Stage 73 instruments too. Pretty good deal IMO.
The stage 73 is very dope.

Gulale

22 May 2016

The best part of software centre program is telling me when an update is available. I have plenty of Plugins which don't tell if there is an update. I always ended up having 2,3 version late. I don't check frequently unless I'm having problem with it. If there is CPU improvement, I simply miss it. This way, I prefer Software Centre.
Gulale aka Bereket

platzangst

22 May 2016

Lizard wrote:If the software center program is trouble for you then I will say it surely isn't worth it.
It's one of those things where the total effect adds up. If I really really wanted a Synclavier I might put up with it. If the Synclavier was fifty bucks I might go for it. But I'm seeing a creeping trend of companies sticking "managing apps" in to perform functions that could be just as easily covered in a self-install package, and there's a part of me that's suspicious that it's another way to data-mine info off my computer, or simply to be more paranoid about policing users' license use - and then there's just the personal bias against adding needless clutter into my system. Taken all together, there's just too much to overcome for me to drop my money on this. But that's just me.

Gulale

22 May 2016

Wow I'm not trying to talk bad about PH but I have never seen a company like PH who collects data. Just fire up your reason 8 and see your inbound and outbound download upload speed. a minimum of 170KB upload 200KB download you will see. I have over 600 plugins and none of them are doing like PH did.
Gulale aka Bereket

platzangst

22 May 2016

Gulale wrote:Wow I'm not trying to talk bad about PH but I have never seen a company like PH who collects data. Just fire up your reason 8 and see your inbound and outbound download upload speed. a minimum of 170KB upload 200KB download you will see. I have over 600 plugins and none of them are doing like PH did.
I think we ought to distinguish between transfer of data and actual data mining. The kind of mining I'm talking about doesn't require a huge bandwidth, so noticing a lot of traffic does not necessarily mean PH is grabbing a lot of info. They could be, but any of your plugins could be too, without setting off any alarms.

That said, even if it is data mining, I'm more willing to put up with it because Reason is such a prominent part of of my musical creation system. Synclavier is one synth, Reason is a DAW with a large stable of features, including all the REs I've bought. In that regard, PH's authorizer has a far better claim to my hard drive space than Arturia's app.

Lizard

23 May 2016

Lizard wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Since you upgraded, can you tell me if the presets seem different to you Mini V3 vs V2. Some of the sounds from the V2 are not present in the V3. Unless i'm overlooking them.
I have not yet run any comparisons between the two but will do so and get back to you on that. Adding the new versions do not overwrite the older ones so it should be easy to do.
After looking closely there are a lot of patches that seem to have been sacrificed in an effort to clean up the menu system. I'm not sure which ones but in some of the favorite ones (like the Mini V where there were many) there are less now. One of the things that bothers me a little is that preset and banks import and export between versions are different so you aren't quite able to transfer between the two either. :( But in the upgrade you still keep both versions and if your choice can still have both.

mreese80

23 May 2016

Lizard wrote:
Lizard wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Since you upgraded, can you tell me if the presets seem different to you Mini V3 vs V2. Some of the sounds from the V2 are not present in the V3. Unless i'm overlooking them.
After looking closely there are a lot of patches that seem to have been sacrificed in an effort to clean up the menu system. I'm not sure which ones but in some of the favorite ones (like the Mini V where there were many) there are less now. One of the things that bothers me a little is that preset and banks import and export between versions are different so you aren't quite able to transfer between the two either. :( But in the upgrade you still keep both versions and if your choice can still have both.
Exactly. I kept the mini v2. I actually don't like the mini v3 at all. It sounds way to digital and bright now. The analog fatness sounds stripped IMO. I needed those Chris Pittman presets and leads like the classic "Worm Lead" so I kept that. The new browser is nice. The presets are a lot smaller than the V2 so ill continue with that

Lizard

23 May 2016

Well.... don't give up the ship just yet. :) Probing my trusted sources they were able to point me to this link below that claims they will be working on an app that will convert presets found in previous V Collections to V5. This should stand for V3 and V4 as I understand.

https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization ... patibility

• Information