Cores vs. Frequency

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
elMisse

09 May 2016

I have very little knowledge about Reason 8 and different kind of CPU's. Only thing I have heard is about some advantages with multiple physical cores. But not VERSUS higher frequency.

So, Would it be a better option to choose a Xeon cpu with 8 cores at 2,2-2,8Ghz OR i7 CPU with 4 cores at 3,5-4Ghz ?
Has anyone from Propellerhead ever written any deeper information about these kind of things?
What do you advanced users say? :geek:

Olivier

09 May 2016

More cores does indeed seem to be good. A 6 core i7 like the 5960/30/20, even if close to 2 years old tech, beats a newer 4 core i7 skylake in several tests I've read that focused on multicore performance. Seems that 5 slower cores do better then 3 faster ones. What will tip the balance towards the newer CPUs I dunno.
If you look at the benchmark thread here you can see what a 4 core Xeon manages to do vs a 6 core 5960/30. How they compare price wise I have no idea.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

elMisse

09 May 2016

Thanks for the link to that thread!
I just didn't notice it :) I should come around much more often.

I will now post my results. Maybe I just learned the truth.

Exowildebeest

09 May 2016

Cores vs. Frequency definitely should be a drum & bass artist or something.

elMisse

09 May 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:Cores vs. Frequency definitely should be a drum & bass artist or something.
:redface:

Gorgon

11 May 2016

eauhm wrote:More cores does indeed seem to be good. A 6 core i7 like the 5960/30/20, even if close to 2 years old tech, beats a newer 4 core i7 skylake in several tests I've read that focused on multicore performance. Seems that 5 slower cores do better then 3 faster ones. What will tip the balance towards the newer CPUs I dunno.
Newer is always better. New CPU = new design, new technology to achieve more than the previous on the same clockspeed. I'm sure there are "some tests" that can point out that those older 6 cores outperform the newest CPU's but that's just laboratory situation and not real life use. Reason audio gets divided over all the cores so cores that operate faster will outperform "older" cores that might be inside a 6 core CPU. In the end the new i7 will be the fastest.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information