Reaktor 6

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Faastwalker

27 Apr 2016

I'm thinking of getting Reaktor 6. I've just been reading a good piece from SOS about using it with Reason. Has anyone done this? Sounds easy enough with the EMI & the appropriate connections (on your audio interface or virtual).

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec15/a ... h-1215.htm

EsotericSound

27 Apr 2016

I have Reaktor 5, and I love it. I admit that I haven't even bothered diving in under the hood to design my own synth, but at some point I want to.

As for Reaktor 6, I haven't bought it since I'm not running the right OS for it. The Blocks function of Reaktor 6 looks enticing, though at this point my setup is working for me, so I'm not going to upgrade much of my software.

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Apr 2016

I've been rocking it here on OS X 10.11 using SoundFlower and IAC. Midi Clock sync is shit though, I just set the tempo the same on both and that works well enough.

groggy1

27 Apr 2016

I use Reaktor 6 (Hosted in Sonar). Reason sends it Midi through EMI, and I use Focusrite Saphire for audio-loopback into Reason.

It's ridiculously awesome.

Faastwalker

27 Apr 2016

groggy1 wrote:I use Reaktor 6 (Hosted in Sonar). Reason sends it Midi through EMI, and I use Focusrite Saphire for audio-loopback into Reason.

I have a Focusrite 6i6. I was reading in the SOS article about using the spare (often redundant) digital IO on your interface to send audio out & back in. Great idea if it works okay. I guess its just a case of set audio out in Reaktor to SPDIF-out & record SPDIF-in in Reason. If that works it would be nice to actually utilize the SPDIF I/O.

Faastwalker

27 Apr 2016

EsotericSound wrote:As for Reaktor 6, I haven't bought it since I'm not running the right OS for it. The Blocks function of Reaktor 6 looks enticing.
I've always been intrigued by Reaktor. I used it for a while but building my own stuff was beyond me at the time. Probably wouldn't fare much better these days! But Blocks is the real deal maker for me. Very cool idea. Reason could be more like this to be honest. But it doesn't seem to be a direction Propellerhead are keen to take Reason, despite its obvious inspirations & capabilities.

groggy1

28 Apr 2016

Faastwalker wrote:
groggy1 wrote:I use Reaktor 6 (Hosted in Sonar). Reason sends it Midi through EMI, and I use Focusrite Saphire for audio-loopback into Reason.

I have a Focusrite 6i6. I was reading in the SOS article about using the spare (often redundant) digital IO on your interface to send audio out & back in. Great idea if it works okay. I guess its just a case of set audio out in Reaktor to SPDIF-out & record SPDIF-in in Reason. If that works it would be nice to actually utilize the SPDIF I/O.

Looping back through SPDIF should work great (and no loss of quality). So if you don't have a need for SPDIF, I'd say go for it!
Getting MIDI to go between daws is really easy (there are several programs that let you route MIDI). And now that you have an easy way to route Audio, you're good to go. Let me know if you need any help with getting VSTs working in another DAW.

Faastwalker

28 Apr 2016

groggy1 wrote:Looping back through SPDIF should work great (and no loss of quality). So if you don't have a need for SPDIF, I'd say go for it!
Getting MIDI to go between daws is really easy (there are several programs that let you route MIDI). And now that you have an easy way to route Audio, you're good to go. Let me know if you need any help with getting VSTs working in another DAW.
Sounds good. Might have to pull the plug on Reaktor 6 sooner rather than later ;) There's a lot of talk of Reason '9' being just around the corner, but I'm not so sure. Certainly don't think it's worth waiting for at this time. If it does make an appearance & it's a paid upgrade I'll just have to wait a bit before pulling the trigger on it ...... if I do buy Reaktor 6.

You mentioned you used Sonar to host Reaktor. I'm assuming it runs standalone as well & can be set-up to work with Reason running this way. Also what do you use to route the MIDI? I'm guessing MIDI Yoke or something similar needs to be employed. Been a while since I had a need to run MIDI Yoke but I recall it not being a big deal to set-up.

yeahright31

28 Apr 2016

Reaktor 6 would be cool, however Native Instruments hurt me hard over the last 2 years - where I said to myself enough is enough.
I have a love for Traktor and that's all. I finished more tracks in Reason then I ever could owning and using NI Komplete.
Besides when I look at what i'm capable of I can build an super cool instrument in combinator faster then opening a Daw and loading any vst. (So I may as refuse to even look at or use any vst anymore)

groggy1

28 Apr 2016

Faastwalker wrote:
groggy1 wrote:Looping back through SPDIF should work great (and no loss of quality). So if you don't have a need for SPDIF, I'd say go for it!
Sounds good. Might have to pull the plug on Reaktor 6 sooner rather than later ;) There's a lot of talk of Reason '9' being just around the corner, but I'm not so sure. Certainly don't think it's worth waiting for at this time. If it does make an appearance & it's a paid upgrade I'll just have to wait a bit before pulling the trigger on it ...... if I do buy Reaktor 6.

You mentioned you used Sonar to host Reaktor. I'm assuming it runs standalone as well & can be set-up to work with Reason running this way. Also what do you use to route the MIDI? I'm guessing MIDI Yoke or something similar needs to be employed. Been a while since I had a need to run MIDI Yoke but I recall it not being a big deal to set-up.

Yes, I have Sonar running standalone, and Reason running standalone. No ReWire.
To route Midi, I use LoopBe1 (this is on Windows). Never crashed yet after 5 years.

Faastwalker

29 Apr 2016

groggy1 wrote:Yes, I have Sonar running standalone, and Reason running standalone. No ReWire.
To route Midi, I use LoopBe1 (this is on Windows). Never crashed yet after 5 years.
But can you run Reaktor 6 standalone & still hook this up with Reason?

I don't have another DAW & don't particularity want one. Reason all the way for me ;)

groggy1

29 Apr 2016

Faastwalker wrote:
groggy1 wrote:Yes, I have Sonar running standalone, and Reason running standalone. No ReWire.
But can you run Reaktor 6 standalone & still hook this up with Reason?

I don't have another DAW & don't particularity want one. Reason all the way for me ;)

Ah, got it. Yes, this should work with Reaktor running standalone. I.e. you shouldn't need a separate DAW to host Reaktor.
In a nutshell, you'll configure Reaktor's MIDI-in to use your MIDI loopback driver. And you'll configure Reaktor's audio out to be SPDIF out in your case.

tibah

29 Apr 2016

Great addition to Reason. Back when I still had Reaktor 5, I wouldn't even setup a MIDI/Audio loop, but rather use Reaktor's own recorder to, well, create samples and sequences to use them in Reason.

Faastwalker

30 Apr 2016

tibah wrote:Great addition to Reason. Back when I still had Reaktor 5, I wouldn't even setup a MIDI/Audio loop, but rather use Reaktor's own recorder to, well, create samples and sequences to use them in Reason.
Ah cool. It never occurred to me that Reaktor had its own recorder, which I guess is a little short sighted on my part! Very handy if you just wanted to create some parts, sequences or short samples (skies the limit with Reaktor I guess) for use in Reason.

tibah

30 Apr 2016

Yea. From my memory, it also would trigger record on loop start and you could set recording measures. Perfect for loop-based kinds of music. As you mostly would use Reaktor for your "not so usual" stuff (at least that's how I used it), it's great to create those additional, weird drums for the background, or textures to add to a pad and whatnot, so the recorder was always enough for me. Metaphysical Function should be an ensemble everyone knows. ;) Another gold mine was the somewhat hidden *legacy* zip, somehow buried in the folder structure of Reaktor. This includes many Reaktor ensembles from Reaktor 3 and 4, with some real gems, but you had to find and unzip it first to use the ensembles.

I don't know if this has changed, but back then you could only record 16bit waves. Would be interesting to know if Reaktor 6 lets you record at 24bit now.

EDIT: Checked the free player, which surprisingly has the recorder as well. Still 16bit only, but you do get Metaphysical Function and some ensembles that feature the new blocks. :)

Faastwalker

30 Apr 2016

I also notice that NI put Reakror on sale fairly regularly, annually at least. Looks like it was on sale with a 70% discount previously! Might hold out a bit to see if they do this again. Previous sales looked like they happened in May or June.

tibah

30 Apr 2016

Yea. Since they develop a lot of products that rely on Reaktor to run, they had 1 or 2 sales a year for $99, which is a steal. They dropped the price in general though. Reaktor used to be up there with Kontakt, around the $300 mark if I remember correctly.

Faastwalker

30 Apr 2016

I might hold out then. It's $289 AUS so if that drops significantly in a sale I'll be gutted if I'd paid full price for it. Might hold out till at least June. I can't get the free player in the mean time and get a feel for what it's all about ;)

• Information