How do you connect iPad to Reason with MusicIO?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Tim

21 Apr 2016

I followed the instructions on youtube videos, but can't get Reason to respond to ipad via musicIO. Everything seems to be set up right. As a test I tried playing from the ipad into Garageband, worked fine. Tried it with Live Lite, which I have but don't use - couldn't get sound out, but that's down to my lack of knowledge of Live - a signal was coming through I think, from the light that flashed in Live when I pressed keys on Animoog etc on ipad.

But in Reason, nothing. MusicIO comes up as an option in the list of External Control buses, so I selected it for all of them (assumed that's what you had to do). Tried MIDI clock set to MusicIO, then Network Session 1... Locked ipad as 'other midi control surface' to Thor at one point. Not a glimmer.

I don't have a great knowledge of this stuff technically so I may well be unaware of some completely basic action I need to take, but I'm puzzled by the fact that other DAWs seem to work fine but not Reason.

I'd really appreciate if someone can tell me how to sort this out. Or recommend a different iPad/Mac connection app that can do the same thing.

Thanks!

Aquila

22 Apr 2016

AFAICT MusicIO uses VST technology to transmit the audio into a DAW. Given Reason doesn't support VST I can't see it being an easy task.

You might be able to use another VST host like Reaper to receive the Audio, then use either a soundcard with a loopback function or some other fiddly audio routing system like Jack Audio, but honestly I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Tim

22 Apr 2016

Thanks... actually at this point I was more interested in getting MIDI in than audio. I'm afraid I don't know what VST is (I'll look it up though) but I take your word for it.
So would the same restriction apply to MIDI data?
Either way, would another MIDI interface app work better - Midimux for instance? That would suit me just as well, but obviously I don't want to fork out for it if I'm just going to get the same (non-)result.

O1B

27 Apr 2016

Priceless….
Tim wrote:I'm afraid I don't know what VST is (I'll look it up though) but I take your word for it.
A Prayer:
May God Bless your Sweet Soul, 'cause the Devil's gonna have that A$$ when you DO find out what VST means.
Amen.
O1B

• Information