Modulation MIDI/USB pedal?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Dafydd

25 Feb 2016

I bought this Yamaha FC7, a well-spoken-of expression pedal, that I've hooked up to my computer using this: http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

This works okay, but the signal from the pedal is noisy, it needs calibrating every time I restart my computer, and the built-in spring only kicks in at the very end of the range, where the signal is even more noisy (I've checked, the noisy signal comes from the pedal, not the MIDI Expression USB thing). I've tried to create my own "spring" by inserting plastic foam, but it wears out quickly and doesn't spring back reliably anyway. I also don't find the FC7 very comfortable.

What I want is a pedal that behaves like the mod and pitch wheels on my keyboard, one that springs back to 0 when I let go, and that doesn't need calibrating - ideally one that looks and feels similar to my M-Audio SP2 sustain pedal, but "analog" (like a mod wheel) instead of "binary" (like a sustain pedal, which is either on or off). I've been unable to find anything like this online, and I'm puzzled. Browsing expression pedals online, it seems like "no spring" is a feature in itself.

I'm getting so desperate for a solution I'm considering buying another SP2 and modifying the hardware into a modulation pedal. Another solution would be buying a USB racing wheel and using the pedals as a MIDI controller (I've done this with gamepads in the past, for fun) - those pedals do spring back, and they don't need calibrating. They take up way more space than an SP2, though!

Does anyone have any ideas or know of a pedal that does what I want?

Legione

02 Jul 2016

Keith Mc millen softstep 2

jallen97

05 Jul 2016

I use a Stealthpedal which is an audio interface built into a volume pedal chassis. You can use the volume pedal as whatever CC you want and you plug another expression pedal into it and 2 more momentary switches into it. It's a pretty great product I think. But.... On the latest Mac OS you have to do a work around for it to work. But that seems to be working out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dafydd

05 Aug 2016

In case anyone reads this, I got a Yamaha FC3A and it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

• Information