Advice for new external sound card

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
sonicbyte

17 Feb 2016

Hi,

I need to let it go my external usb sound card (Fast Track Pro) because it isn't compatible anymore with El Capitan on my Mac, and I can't rollback to an older version of OS... and as far as I know F*c*kin Avid will not upgrade drivers for it anymore.
So I will need a new usb sound card for my mac to work with Reason. I don't need much, I basically use a couple of USB midi controllers and maybe one audio input for a guitar, also headphones and TRS jacks to output to my M-audio Monitors BX5, so no need for fancy cards.
Just want a good device that will be updated it's drivers for a few years ahead to avoid this problem in the future.

I was thinking for a focusrite Scarlett, don't know if the 'Scarlett Solo' it's enough or should I go with the 'Scarlett 2i2'.... of course if someone thinks of another brand or model I will love to hear about it.

Thanks !!

joeyluck

17 Feb 2016

Scarlett seems to be a good option. Propellerhead is even bundling it with Reason in their own shop. Doesn't look like they are selling it separately though.

normen

17 Feb 2016

Don't get Focusrite or basically any USB device that needs special drivers. Focusrite hardware is nice but their drivers suck and never get supported for too long. Theres a generic USB Audio spec that allows you to use USB Audio compliant devices without drivers "forever", so there.

EnochLight

17 Feb 2016

normen wrote:Don't get Focusrite or basically any USB device that needs special drivers. Focusrite hardware is nice but their drivers suck and never get supported for too long.
This seems to run contrary to all of the reviews I've read on Focusrite in the past year. When was the last time you used a Focusrite? Everything I've read lately indicates their tech support is top notch and their drivers are excellent.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

17 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:This seems to run contrary to all of the reviews I've read on Focusrite in the past year. When was the last time you used a Focusrite? Everything I've read lately indicates their tech support is top notch and their drivers are excellent.
The fact that you have to reduce your comments to the latest hardware kind of underlines my point, doesn't it? I never owned a Focusrite USB interface, just have to fix issues for people all the time.

EnochLight

17 Feb 2016

normen wrote:
EnochLight wrote:This seems to run contrary to all of the reviews I've read on Focusrite in the past year. When was the last time you used a Focusrite? Everything I've read lately indicates their tech support is top notch and their drivers are excellent.
The fact that you have to reduce your comments to the latest hardware kind of underlines my point, doesn't it?
No, actually. It illustrates that your blanket statement is baseless.
normen wrote:I never owned a Focusrite USB interface
Ah, that's it then. Thanks for clarifying!
normen wrote:just have to fix issues for people all the time.
Interesting. I looked at the reviews for the entire USB Scarlett line on Amazon, and every product there ranks a 4.5/5 stars with glowing reviews for the most part. Which USB issues are you fixing for what products? The Scarlett 2i2 USB has literally hundreds of positive reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... e+scarlett

Please don't interpret my response with malice; I'm genuinely interested/concerned, as I am considering replacing my own USB interface with something quite soon and have been considering the Scarlett line.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

17 Feb 2016

Two different Saffire USB interfaces, a large Scarlett (18/20?). Typical issues are distortions during playback as if the device lost its sync (though its internal sync). Most of the time the fixing involves either down or upgrading the drivers or simply moving to another interface. All of these were on Mac though.

EnochLight

17 Feb 2016

normen wrote:Two different Saffire USB interfaces, a large Scarlett (18/20?). Typical issues are distortions during playback as if the device lost its sync (though its internal sync). Most of the time the fixing involves either down or upgrading the drivers or simply moving to another interface. All of these were on Mac though.
Gotcha, thanks. Was this recently? 3 units as a control sample is pretty low, but good to know at any rate. I'll still consider a Scarlett USB at this point, as either the 18i8 or the 18i20 seems really appealing. I might do a local vendor with a lucrative return policy though just in case! :D

normen

17 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:Gotcha, thanks. Was this recently? 3 units as a control sample is pretty low, but good to know at any rate. I'll still consider a Scarlett USB at this point, as either the 18i8 or the 18i20 seems really appealing. I might do a local vendor with a lucrative return policy though just in case! :D
One of the Saffires wouldn't work with the current driver at all so I guess that one was a bit older. Can't remember the actual name / model # though.

Zerosity

17 Feb 2016

No issues with my Scarlett 2i2 on Win 7/8.1 in the 3 years I've owned it. No experience using it on a Mac though, so maybe the OSX drivers have issues not found on the Win drivers.

EnochLight

17 Feb 2016

Zerosity wrote:No issues with my Scarlett 2i2 on Win 7/8.1 in the 3 years I've owned it. No experience using it on a Mac though, so maybe the OSX drivers have issues not found on the Win drivers.
What's the lowest latency you can achieve on your projects?

sonicbyte

17 Feb 2016

Thanks for the replies, can anyone point good alternatives (brand/models) to Scarlett ? just in case..

Zerosity

17 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:
Zerosity wrote:No issues with my Scarlett 2i2 on Win 7/8.1 in the 3 years I've owned it. No experience using it on a Mac though, so maybe the OSX drivers have issues not found on the Win drivers.
What's the lowest latency you can achieve on your projects?
Not sure what application people were using in the other thread to show the true latency, but here's what I have with the Focusrite drivers and what Reason shows. I'm just a hobbyist that uses Reason as my creative outlet, but I haven't noticed any pops. I've also gone through the demo songs and don't notice any there either.

EDIT: forgot that I should mention that it's very rare that I record anything from the external sources. Vocals a couple of times, but not very extensive. So maybe I would hear more pops and issues if I did more of this?

This is on my Toshiba Satellite S55t laptop Win 8.1 - Intel Core i7-4710HQ 8GB Memory on a USB 2.0 port.

EDIT: it's actually connected to a USB 2.0 hub (Thermaltake laptop cooler)

Zerosity

17 Feb 2016

Just noticed Ostermilk link to RTLUtility in the other thread, but unfortunately I don't currently have a patch cable to use. A lot of my gear is in storage since I moved, so I've only got my laptop/scarlett 2i2/grado 80s right now. Maybe I'll run by Guitar Center this weekend and grab some cables so I can run the real numbers.

sentient.minority

17 Feb 2016

I have an RME Babyface sound card which is awesome.

RME drivers are some of the best out there and they support their products for years.

Worth a look if not to costly for you.

joeyluck

17 Feb 2016

I have a Focusrite Saffire LE that I haven't had many issues with. Although I'm on Mac. I did however have an issue converting the FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt on one theatre's MacBook (didn't supply bus power as I thought it might). I didn't have the power adapter.

QVprod

17 Feb 2016

Currently use a Scarlett 18i20, works great though I'll occasionally get a dropout and have to turn it on and off. Really solid though and my issue could have something to do with the fact that I hacked my 2006 Mac pro to run Mavericks. I also have a Scarlett 2i2 which use to be my main interface with my Macbook pro. Still runs smooth and never had any driver issues with it. The only thing I don't like about the 2i2 is the preamps are have a bit too much gain (fairly easy to clip) and the output volume is pretty low. The 18i20 doesn't have any of those faults.

EnochLight

18 Feb 2016

Right now I'm struggling between choosing a Focusrite 18i20 or an RME Babyface Pro. It's just the cost that's killing me - and I'm not sold on the "single knob" interface of the Babayface.

Those latency numbers for the Focusrite concern me though. That's far worse than my current Balance. :(

sonicbyte

18 Feb 2016

About Scarlett 2i2 on the focusrite's site it says it doesn't use any drivers for Mac, that means it can handle 24/96khz just in class-compliant ?

https://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio- ... /downloads

jengstrom
Reason Studios

18 Feb 2016

normen wrote:Theres a generic USB Audio spec that allows you to use USB Audio compliant devices without drivers "forever", so there.
Indeed, but as you probably know, this means one issue -- Windows still doesn't include any driver for version 2 of the USB Audio Device Class spec, so Windows-support would so far always be limited to a few channels or low sample rate (and no native ASIO). Balance is a class device, but we had to ship a special Windows-driver. Works fine with the USB 2 audio drivers for Mac and Linux.

sonicbyte

18 Feb 2016

jengstrom wrote:
normen wrote:Theres a generic USB Audio spec that allows you to use USB Audio compliant devices without drivers "forever", so there.
Indeed, but as you probably know, this means one issue -- Windows still doesn't include any driver for version 2 of the USB Audio Device Class spec, so Windows-support would so far always be limited to a few channels or low sample rate (and no native ASIO). Balance is a class device, but we had to ship a special Windows-driver. Works fine with the USB 2 audio drivers for Mac and Linux.
In my case it will only be used on Mac... but for windows they have a specific driver, so I guess those issues are solved for windows users too.

normen

18 Feb 2016

jengstrom wrote:Indeed, but as you probably know, this means one issue -- Windows still doesn't include any driver for version 2 of the USB Audio Device Class spec, so Windows-support would so far always be limited to a few channels or low sample rate (and no native ASIO). Balance is a class device, but we had to ship a special Windows-driver. Works fine with the USB 2 audio drivers for Mac and Linux.
True but even if MS doesn't supply such a driver you still have a much better chance at getting a generic USB Audio driver than one specific to one interface.

EnochLight

18 Feb 2016

sentient.minority wrote:I have an RME Babyface sound card which is awesome.

RME drivers are some of the best out there and they support their products for years.

Are you on Mac or PC?

jengstrom
Reason Studios

18 Feb 2016

normen wrote:
jengstrom wrote:Indeed, but as you probably know, this means one issue -- Windows still doesn't include any driver for version 2 of the USB Audio Device Class spec, so Windows-support would so far always be limited to a few channels or low sample rate (and no native ASIO). Balance is a class device, but we had to ship a special Windows-driver. Works fine with the USB 2 audio drivers for Mac and Linux.
True but even if MS doesn't supply such a driver you still have a much better chance at getting a generic USB Audio driver than one specific to one interface.
Right, there are third-party USB 2 audio drivers which can be both OEM:ed as official drivers and purchased by private persons as a last resort, such as Ploytec, Centrance, Thesycon, and more.

sentient.minority

18 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:
sentient.minority wrote:I have an RME Babyface sound card which is awesome.

Are you on Mac or PC?
I am on Mac.

The driver latency is better than the Apogee Duet I kept for around an hour (dire drivers and firmware updates, will elaborate if necessary). I think I usually have it on 48k at 32 samples, very quick and it behaves on big projects that involve Cubase and Reason ReWire without too much stress. Bear in mind that I don't have the most powerful Mac either (2013 MacBook Pro Retina 2.3GHz).

Also much better than the old Saffire Pro 14 FireWire interface I had.

I have also expanded it with a Behringer ADA8200 for 8 more audio inputs (just so you know I'm not a total gear snob).

The one knob on my standard Babyface controls inputs (both L & R together or independently), outputs (both L & R together or independently) and headphones.

The TotalMix software setup is far more flexible than the Focusrite MixControl one too.

As I understand it the performance is equally as impressive on Windows and you will have support and drivers for ages!

A totally regret free purchase for me.

Just found this too: http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7491672

• Information