Soundog Scale Studio

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Ostermilk

10 Feb 2016

I've had my eye on this for quite sometime and I sprung for it at the beginning of the week after using the demo for awhile.

http://feelyoursound.com/sundog/

Sure we've got plenty of generative RE's in the Reason rack by now, sequencers, triggers, scale tools, arpeggiators and the like and useful some of those are too, there's Figure as well so the concepts shouldn't be alien to anyone.

There's several thing about this one though that are really cool. Firstly it is standalone so you can use it as a midi input device for any DAW via a virtual midi cable or even straight to a synth or module GM or otherwise. You can either record your created midi directly into your DAW, drag and drop it (works in Reason too) or save it as a standard midi file for importing.

The thing I like about it best of all though is the work flow, it's addictive and it's really easy to build up multiple parts really quickly all in time and all in key. It's great if you are already au fait with music theory or are tone deaf and clueless (I likely fall somewhere nearer the middle of those two extremes) you'll find loads of uses for it either way.

Highly recommended, check out the vids and try the demo on the manual page. It's my absolute favourite toy just now so I thought it might be nice to share the joy.

normen

10 Feb 2016

Definitely a very cool toy. I got it some time ago and it indeed works very nicely with Reason. If you let Reason send out MIDI clock you can do drum programming in Reason (which I find a bit cumbersome in Sundog) while still using Sundog to generate chords and melodies.

Using the advanced MIDI interface in Reason mapping the outputs is a breeze and while Reason still doesn't let you drag&drop MIDI directly to tracks you can easily drag the MIDI output from Sundog into Reason and move the parts from the created tracks to their destination - which is only really needed in the end to finalize the track in Reason. Sundog even properly syncs to the overall timeline in Reason when in "Song Mode" so the interaction is really pretty seamless.

Ostermilk

11 Feb 2016

normen wrote:If you let Reason send out MIDI clock you can do drum programming in Reason (which I find a bit cumbersome in Sundog) while still using Sundog to generate chords and melodies.
I just tried that, that's a really useful tip.

selig
RE Developer

11 Feb 2016

Great video (with the food). How is this different from AutoTheory, as one example I'm familiar with?
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

11 Feb 2016

selig wrote:Great video (with the food). How is this different from AutoTheory, as one example I'm familiar with?
Its more like a combo of AutoTheory and Korde, plus it allows you to create and combine different parts. Heres a more "direct" video showing how it works:

Ostermilk

11 Feb 2016

selig wrote:Great video (with the food). How is this different from AutoTheory, as one example I'm familiar with?
Yes like Normen said the 'layering' of related parts aspect is much easier, it's much easier to customize the chords to your own preference even by adding notes outside of a given scale (since 2.3.0) it is also much easier to get your sequence data back into Reason even despite Reason's insistence on creating new tracks when using midi drag and drop.

This video cover the chord finder aspect

Overall I find it much easier to work with than Figure or any of the native RE's personally and mostly I end up with more satisfying results and usable stuff ready for further manipulation.

normen

11 Feb 2016

..and a big plus is being able to create MIDI parts from the generated notes, something which for REs is still very cumbersome.

decibel

13 Feb 2016

normen wrote:Definitely a very cool toy. I got it some time ago and it indeed works very nicely with Reason. If you let Reason send out MIDI clock you can do drum programming in Reason (which I find a bit cumbersome in Sundog) while still using Sundog to generate chords and melodies.

Using the advanced MIDI interface in Reason mapping the outputs is a breeze and while Reason still doesn't let you drag&drop MIDI directly to tracks you can easily drag the MIDI output from Sundog into Reason and move the parts from the created tracks to their destination - which is only really needed in the end to finalize the track in Reason. Sundog even properly syncs to the overall timeline in Reason when in "Song Mode" so the interaction is really pretty seamless.
this looks like a pretty useful app, i hope somebody makes a youtube tutorial for using it with reason for slow guys like myself lol ;)

Ostermilk

13 Feb 2016

decibel wrote:
this looks like a pretty useful app, i hope somebody makes a youtube tutorial for using it with reason for slow guys like myself lol ;)
It's simple enough...even for me... ;)

http://www.feelyoursound.com/sundog-with-reason/

That setup will allow to monitor directly in Reason what you are doing, once you are done just drag the midi into the timeline.

Of course Reason will annoyingly create ID8 devices for each midi track but you just move the midi clips to the appropriate tracks, delete all those pesky ID8 tracks et voila!

decibel

13 Feb 2016

thanks a million ostermilk, i did have a bit of a search but wasn't successful, will check this out now and might even make the purchase yeah ;)

*wow, they even have instructions on building your own midi controllers :) excellent

cpetersus

18 Feb 2016

I've had this for a while now. Honestly I use it to develop 90% of my chord progressions. An advantage of this over an RE is that "notes to track" actually works. Drag and drop midi is awesome. It works really well with Studio One. It's a must buy for anyone like me (no music theory background).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :reason: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :refill: :re: Chris Peters -> Richmond, VA Reason 8 - MacMini (2012) i7 2.6 Quad Core w/10G Presonus AudioBox1818 -Alesis QX49 - Akai MPD26 - Presonus Monitor Station 2

• Information