Ever upgraded your gear and went back using the old one?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
deepndark

03 Feb 2016

I bought Focusrite Saffire to upgrade my Mackie Onyx Satellite and I think the old pres are better for my singing than the Saffire.
Propably it can be the opposite for some others - depending of your voice. But it's not always guaranteed that a new piece of gear beats your old.
Last edited by deepndark on 06 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

tronam

03 Feb 2016

I bought a Nord Lead 3 ($2500 at the time), loved the interface and controls, but the sound "character" wasn't anything like the earlier Nords, so I sold it and went back to the NL2. :)
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

reason2dance

03 Feb 2016

deepndark wrote:I bought Focusrite Saffire to upgrade my Mackie Onyx Satellite and I think the old pres are better for my singing than the Saffire.
Propably it can be the opposite for some others - depending of your voice. But it's not always guaranteed that a new piece of gear beats your old.
Well the Onyx preamps are legendary, but if you personally don't like them I don't see a Reason to ban them :puf_smile: ...

I once swapped one of my Technics turntables for an "audiophile" Pro-Ject record player, but the I realized that I need a workhorse and no gourmet next to my computer. So I undid it.

O1B

05 Feb 2016

I have yet to use Reason 8. Bought it the last $99 sale.

deepndark wrote:I bought Focusrite Saffire to upgrade my Mackie Onyx Satellite and I think the old pres are better for my singing than the Saffire.

Dabbler

05 Feb 2016

Timely question.
I recently decided to go back to my old workflow wherein I use a Tascam 2488. I started to think the PC was too visual and that in turn was a distraction. Going back I find that I concentrate way better on the song and the sound.
I like the sound of the Tascam better than what I get from the DAW.
I still play things back thru Reason, using Reason as a mastering tool.
I think for me this is the best of all worlds.
Plus if I need to do something like use an LFO, then I have Reason right there for that.

Resonator

05 Feb 2016

O1B wrote:I have yet to use Reason 8. Bought it the last $99 sale.
I beta tested 8 and didn't like it. I even downloaded the free 30 day trial at some point later on and still didn't like it. I was tempted to buy it at $99 like you did. But I had to pass it up and bought more iOS synths.

deepndark

06 Feb 2016

reason2dance wrote:
Well the Onyx preamps are legendary, but if you personally don't like them I don't see a Reason to ban them :puf_smile: ...

I once swapped one of my Technics turntables for an "audiophile" Pro-Ject record player, but the I realized that I need a workhorse and no gourmet next to my computer. So I undid it.
No I like the Onyx ones more than the Saffire. The sound of the Mackies Onyx sound neutral and Saffire ones more characterous.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2016

Yes, I got an MPC and Korg triton and for several months I made all my music in hardware until eventually returning to reason, using the triton and mpc as a controller!

Theo.M

08 Feb 2016

tronam wrote:I bought a Nord Lead 3 ($2500 at the time), loved the interface and controls, but the sound "character" wasn't anything like the earlier Nords, so I sold it and went back to the NL2. :)
NL2 is my favourite nord SOUND wise, but i went for the A1R because of the modern feature set and usb untegration.

The A1 is a very very nice little rack, i think it's their best thing in the last few years and sounds nicer then the NL4.... imo of course.

Plus, i got it for a bargain AU price :mrgreen: brand spanking new.

But yeah the very first time i ever played an NL2 i was in a store, sat down with phones, and got lost playing pads and having my hair stand up on my arms for like 3 hours until i didn't even realise the shop was closing up around me :mrgreen: :lol:

• Information