Apple Updates Logic Pro, Mainstage

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Resonator

03 Feb 2016

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... mainstage/

Apple Updates Logic Pro, Mainstage

alchemy-logic-pro-free-upgradeApple has updated Logic Pro X for Mac OS X and MainStage, adding ‘numerous fixes and enhancements.

The updates include new loop content, enhancements to the Alchemy synthesizer, improved performance, support for Force Touch and Music Memo and more.

Here’s what’s new in Logic Pro X v10.2.1:

650 new Apple Loops in a variety of dance and popular music genres.
An Audio preference has been added for multithreading live tracks to improve CPU performance when processing multiple live channels.
The spectral engine in Alchemy now provides 11 spectral effects that allow creative sound processing in the frequency domain.
The tempo map embedded in Music Memos Ideas can be exported to the Project tempo.
You can drag Apple Loops into Alchemy and they automatically conform to the current tempo.
The downbeat of Music Memos Ideas automatically snaps to the bar nearest the playhead when imported.
The accuracy of the Detect Tempo options has been significantly improved, especially with long audio files
The content of the Score edit window reliably updates as expected when the Same Level link mode is enabled
Alchemy now supports MIDI mono mode. This lets you use third-party Expressive MIDI Controllers including products from Roli and Roger Linn Design.
There’s now an Empty Kit patch for Drum Machine Designer to use when building custom kits from samples dragged and into empty cells.
The playhead now remains visible in the Audio File Editor and you can use it to navigate in the Audio File Editor when playback is stopped.
You can now manually (independently of the alphabet) sort Categories folders in the Plug-In Manager by grabbing and dragging a folder to a new place in the list.
There are two new columns in the Plug-In Manager that can be used to assign long and/or short names to each of the plug-ins. The longer name appears in the menu, and the shorter name appears in the plug-in insert.
The Sound Library and Apple Loops browsers now display content that’s available but not yet downloaded. Individual files or directories can also be downloaded directly from within the browsers.
You can now hold the Shift key while clicking on an empty channel strip EQ graph to insert a Linear Phase EQ.
The drum kits and software instruments in Logic now respond to Force Touch and 3-D touch with supported devices.
Drum Machine Designer now supports drag and drop of multiple audio files at a time.
There’s now an option to include tempo information when importing MIDI files into an existing project.
Logic now supports the WAV RF64 audio file format for WAV files greater than 4 GB in size.
You can now use the Export Region as Audio File command with multiple selected regions.
Export Track as Audio File now works for multiple selected tracks, with each track exported as a separate file.
Bounce Tracks in Place now works for multiple selected tracks.
There’s a new metronome option to generate accents according to the beat grouping of the current time signature.
If the currently selected audio device isn’t available, Logic now uses one of the other three most recently used audio devices in order of last usage (instead of defaulting to the built-in audio hardware).
There’s a new project setting recording option to “Create Tracks when recording in Cycle mode.”
You can now define Catch behavior independently per window by right-clicking or Control-clicking the Catch button in each window.
The Step Editor now includes a Lane Set you can use to automatically create lanes that display all the content in a region.
You can now reposition Plug-in windows by grabbing either the header, or the lower edge of the window.
Alchemy now automatically adjusts the gain when morphing formants.
MIDI generated from Create MIDI Track using Flex Pitch Data now includes velocity data based on the source audio volume.
The function to delete unused tracks now offers an option to include tracks without regions that contain automation.
When the horizontal size of the Main window is decreased enough to hide the Waveform Zoom and Vertical Auto Zoom buttons, those controls now are added to the Action menu.
When bouncing to a new track, Track Notes from the source track are now transferred to the destination track.
When you drag a Piano Roll Time Frame handle past another, it now pivots the note start positions (instead of swapping note starts and ends). You can still trigger the older behavior by holding Shift while you drag the handles.
The behavior of the Option key in the Event List now depends on where you place the pointer:
When you scrub with the Option key in the event value or position columns of a group of selected events, it allows editing to continue when the maximum or minimum limit is reached on part of the selection.
When you scrub on the event type column with the Option key, it temporarily solos the events.
There’s now a key command “Hide all empty tracks” that hides all tracks that don’t contain regions or automation.
If Logic Remote sends a custom key command for a feature that’s not available for the current Advanced Tools setting, you’re now prompted to activate the needed setting.
Clicking the VCA slot in the Inspector area channel strip now switches the second channel strip in the Inspector to the corresponding VCA channel.
You can now create and flatten Track Stacks in the Mixer in Tracks view.
You can now create a new category in the Plug-In Manager by dragging a selection of plug-ins below the last category in the Category column.
Beat Mapping now works with Take regions.
When a set of non-contiguous regions is selected in a track the Catch Playhead in the Piano Roll now automatically disables and re-enables as needed during playback.
The Score now provides a button to zoom the staff to fill all available vertical space in single track view.
The track export dialog now offers an option to limit the export to the cycle range.
You can now horizontally drag multiple selected take regions when Quick Swipe Comping is disabled for a Take Folder.
The Drummer Editor now includes an Auto Region Select button that selects Drummer regions in the track as the Playhead reaches them.
The new tool selection latch mode lets you temporarily select a tool by pressing and holding its key command.
You can now use Smart controls to automatically configure how Logic interacts with various MIDI controllers and keyboards.
Scrubbing with the Option key in the event value or position columns on a group of selected events allows editing to continue when the maximum or minimum limit is reached on part of the selection.
Scrubbing on the event type column with the Option key temporarily solos the events.
The Piano Roll View menu now offers a Region Transpose option that causes the display of notes in the Piano Roll to match the Transpose setting in the Region Inspector.
Hovering the pointer over a plug-in slot now displays a Help tag with the plug-in name and the name of the plug-in preset (if one is loaded).
These plug-ins have been updated with new Retina-ready interfaces:

Stereo Delay, Tape Delay, Sample Delay, Bitcrusher, Clip Distortion, Distortion, Phase Distortion, Adaptive Limiter, Limiter, Single Band EQ, AutoFilter, Levelmeter, Multimeter, Chorus, Ensemble, Flanger, Microphaser, Phaser, EnVerb, SilverVerb, Gain, Klopfgeist, Test Oscillator, Correlation Meter, Surround Level Meter, Surround Limiter, Binaural Post-Processing
An extensive list of changes is available at the Apple site.

Here’s what’s new in MainStage v3.2.3:

Over 650 new Apple Loops are included in a variety of dance and popular music genres.
The spectral engine in Alchemy now provides 11 spectral effects for allowing creative sound processing in the frequency domain.
Apple Loops can now be dragged into Alchemy and they will automatically conform to the current tempo.
Alchemy now supports MIDI mono mode This allows you to use third-party Expressive MIDI Controllers, including products from Roli and Roger Linn Design.
Alchemy now automatically adjusts the gain when morphing Formants.
The Sound Library now displays content when it’s available but not yet downloaded. Individual files or directories can also be downloaded directly from within the browser.
Holding shift while double-clicking on a channel strip EQ slot now inserts a Linear Phase EQ.
Drum kits and software instruments in MainStage now respond to Force Touch and 3-D touch with supported devices.
The following plug-ins have been updated with new Retina-ready interfaces:

Stereo Delay, Tape Delay, Sample Delay, Bitcrusher, Clip Distortion, Distortion, Phase Distortion, Adaptive Limiter, Limiter, Single Band EQ, AutoFilter, Levelmeter, Multimeter, Chorus, Ensemble, Flanger, Microphaser, Phaser, EnVerb, SilverVerb, Gain, Klopfgeist, Test Oscillator
An extensive list of changes is available at the Apple site.

Resonator

03 Feb 2016

Logic Pro X 10.2.1 Release Notes
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

selig
RE Developer

03 Feb 2016

Woah, thought this was something new - already updated almost two weeks ago, weird they are just now announcing this at Synthtopia…
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

03 Feb 2016

And finally my Mackie Pro / Mackie Extender Pro / C4 combo gets recognized properly again, probably the biggest thing about this update for me. Before I'd have to re-assign them each time I started Logic because it somehow mixed them up and completely messed up the remote setup.

O1B

03 Feb 2016

My list of favs…

- "Alchemy now supports MIDI mono mode This allows you to use third-party Expressive MIDI Controllers, including products from Roli and Roger Linn Design."
- "The drum kits and software instruments in Logic now respond to Force Touch and 3-D touch with supported devices."
- "Detect Tempo options", "There’s a new metronome option to generate accents according to the beat grouping of the current time signature."

MPE (Mac only), MIDI mono MODE, Roli 49 and Alchemy… just Perfect Together.
I just came across a Roli app called NOISE:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... nationally

The RISE 49 becomes even more portable when paired with NOISE, ROLI’s free app. Using MIDI over Bluetooth, NOISE is a mobile sound engine that lets music-makers work wirelessly with just a RISE and a mobile phone. Now available on iPhone and named an App of the Month, NOISE will soon be available across iOS and Android devices.

Equator UPDATE: Significant updates to Equator, the multidimensional software synthesizer included with every Seaboard RISE, also launched this week. Over 100 new presets have been added, further expanding Equator’s sonic palette. Startup times are now faster. And music-makers can now work with velocity-sensitive multi-samples as well as tempo sync.
Nice.

selig
RE Developer

03 Feb 2016

I had a chance to mess around with the Seaboard Rise at the AES show last fall - loved it as far as I could tell, but I'd need more time with it before I could commit to purchase. Anyone here own one and have more in depth feedback about using it?
Selig Audio, LLC

Resonator

03 Feb 2016

selig wrote:Woah, thought this was something new - already updated almost two weeks ago, weird they are just now announcing this at Synthtopia…
Yeah that is weird. I didn't notice because I haven't bought Logic yet. But since the last update, I've thought about it and I may as well buy it soon. I may as well have the best of both worlds between Reason and Logic. :)

Theo.M

07 Feb 2016

it's fixed a lot of pdc related and performance stuff but the new "live track" mode is buggy, still needs refining, as it uses double the processing power when that mode is activated, as pre 10.2.1.

The fact that Logic's playhead is in time to the audio now, even with huge amount of latent effects, is a really big one though. they just have to fix track automation timing when you are automating effects placed inline AFTER latent effects (the automated effect will be out of time by the latency of all latent effects on that signal path), and then it's PDC will finally be perfect. Since Apple are taking logic so seriously these days I really do think they will fix it. Also, they have massively improved audio engine response time to cuts/edits/gain changes, etc. This has been a bugbear of logic since Version 3! No it's not as fast as ableton and reason, which are both basically instant response, but it's MUCH better than it was. Logic is going places. I am also mucking about with pro tools 12.4 these days and it's pretty fab as well. All the daws are really good these days. Cubase 8.5 is a monster too.

I think for 199 to get alchemy and a full daw (most of the logic fx have new guis and features now too, the tape delay is just insane), logic still remains the best value for those already on a mac. And the way it's so easy to integrate hardware synths with it is a plus.

Logic also still has the best rewire performance when reason is rewired into it, of any daw. So if you are wanting a combo of reason rewire plus another daw i do recommend logic for that, again if you are a mac person obviously.

• Information