Softube Console 1 as MIDI controller for the SSL mixer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
bdhender

09 Nov 2016

Is this working on Reason 8 or only 9 ?

I can set it up as a controller, but it does not seem to function :/

Ahornberg

09 Nov 2016

bdhender wrote:Is this working on Reason 8 or only 9 ?

I can set it up as a controller, but it does not seem to function :/
It works with Reason 8 and 9. You need to select the track in the sequencer.
Selecting a track in the mixer doesn't work. Hope this helps...

electrofux

11 Nov 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
QVprod wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
QVprod wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:Here's my final remotemap for Console 1
Impressive! Especially if it also give you the feedback on the controller the same way the Console 1 software does. I'd feel weird relegating this as a Reason controller for it's price though, but I guess it saves you from needing to buy Softube's 9000k emulation.
Yes, the visual feedback on the controller works. :D
Nice, congrats!
Thank you! The real difference on using Console 1 in Reason compared to the VST world is that I can't use the track select buttons on Console 1 to change the track. Instead I use the mouse. Another difference is that the automatic switch between coarse and fine resolution of the knobs don't work in Reason. Maybe both differences could be addressed by more sophisticated Lua programming ... but for now it's time to make music :cool:
You can use the track buttons as track selectors easily though. They should be added as buttons in the lua file and as bank switches in the remotemap. Then each tracks parameters is assigned to a sepcific bank. Alot of copy paste replace though. Just lookup some codecs where banks are being used.

Ahornberg

11 Nov 2016

electrofux wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
QVprod wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
QVprod wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:Here's my final remotemap for Console 1
Impressive! Especially if it also give you the feedback on the controller the same way the Console 1 software does. I'd feel weird relegating this as a Reason controller for it's price though, but I guess it saves you from needing to buy Softube's 9000k emulation.
Yes, the visual feedback on the controller works. :D
Nice, congrats!
Thank you! The real difference on using Console 1 in Reason compared to the VST world is that I can't use the track select buttons on Console 1 to change the track. Instead I use the mouse. Another difference is that the automatic switch between coarse and fine resolution of the knobs don't work in Reason. Maybe both differences could be addressed by more sophisticated Lua programming ... but for now it's time to make music :cool:
You can use the track buttons as track selectors easily though. They should be added as buttons in the lua file and as bank switches in the remotemap. Then each tracks parameters is assigned to a sepcific bank. Alot of copy paste replace though. Just lookup some codecs where banks are being used.
Yes, feel free to extend my mapping!

electrofux

11 Nov 2016

What are the track knobs sending (shifted/unshifted)? I dont have a console 1.

Ahornberg

11 Nov 2016

electrofux wrote:What are the track knobs sending (shifted/unshifted)? I dont have a console 1.
they are sending MIDI CC messages (0..127) in steps of 3
by pressing the shift-button while turning a knob it sends in steps of 1

O1B

14 Nov 2016

This thread is why I visit RTalk.

Thanks!

friday

01 May 2017

So now we are at a new point in this thread :-)

Did someone test the console 1 VST implementation with Reason 9.5 beta?

riesenexperte

02 May 2017

Mhh, but it has to work. For eample at 'Push' does it work this way too (

can't we just take that part of the push Mapping and integrate it into your nice Mapping-Patch?

Greetings from Germany!

(oh, em, I'm talking about the Track Fourth Back)

O1B

02 May 2017

On vacation, or id be on it!
My plan was Reason 1st.... then load into Logic for VST use...
I really didn't want to commit to Logic
but, now....

I hope.
Big up from JamDown.
friday wrote:So now we are at a new point in this thread :-)

Did someone test the console 1 VST implementation with Reason 9.5 beta?

geremix

24 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
normen wrote:Cool, I wish they'd sell it without the plugins ;)
I think with a Behringer BCR 2000 you can do pretty much the same in Reason.
Yes you can!

I'm testing a custom remote map for the BCR2000 I've found online with its own custom layout and it works wonderfully. And it has feedback for al, l even the compressor GR meter

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

drloop

07 Jun 2018

Are you still using Console 1?

Ahornberg

08 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
07 Jun 2018
yes ... much more fun than tweaking knobs on the Reason mixer with the mouse.

drloop

09 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
08 Jun 2018
drloop wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Need to double check the workflow.

With your latest mapping can you still choose a track in the sequencer and the Console 1 will edit the channel belonging to tha chosen sequencer track?

drloop

09 Jun 2018

geremix wrote:
24 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
I think with a Behringer BCR 2000 you can do pretty much the same in Reason.
Yes you can!

I'm testing a custom remote map for the BCR2000 I've found online with its own custom layout and it works wonderfully. And it has feedback for al, l even the compressor GR meter

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
This is also nice, discontinued product... bummer.

Ahornberg

09 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
09 Jun 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
08 Jun 2018

With your latest mapping can you still choose a track in the sequencer and the Console 1 will edit the channel belonging to tha chosen sequencer track?
I usually choose the track/mixer-channel in the rack but it works too in the sequencer. Secletion means the little grey arrow must appear in the sequencer and left from the device in the rack. Selecting a track is doen by mouse not by the buttons on Console 1.

drloop

09 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Jun 2018
drloop wrote:
09 Jun 2018

I usually choose the track/mixer-channel in the rack but it works too in the sequencer. Secletion means the little grey arrow must appear in the sequencer and left from the device in the rack. Selecting a track is doen by mouse not by the buttons on Console 1.
Excellent that´s how I like to work. Currently i am using a nanoKONTROL2 and I select the tracks in the sequencer.
Looks like I have to spend some bucks. :)

Ahornberg

09 Jun 2018

drloop wrote:
09 Jun 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Jun 2018

Excellent that´s how I like to work. Currently i am using a nanoKONTROL2 and I select the tracks in the sequencer.
Keep in mind Console 1 is a hardware+software bundle.
If you only need a controller, maybe there are cheaper solutions.
If you already own Console 1 (as that was in my case), why not use it in Reason.

drloop

09 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Jun 2018
drloop wrote:
09 Jun 2018

Keep in mind Console 1 is a hardware+software bundle.
If you only need a controller, maybe there are cheaper solutions.
If you already own Console 1 (as that was in my case), why not use it in Reason.
Nektar Panorama P1 could be a solution but I don´t like the workflow of the Panorama, too much menue jumping.
Console 1 seems to be the perfect solution for me needs. Or a BCR2000...

jetpilot00

09 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
20 Feb 2016
I made some changes to my codec and remotemap.

The biggest one is that I mapped both buttons of the compressor (peak and fast) to the attack knob.
So all 4 possible combinations of these 2 buttons are now on one knob and so actually one knob is unused.
To get this done I signed up as a developer at PH to get the documentation for remotemaps and codecs.

The input meter display I routed to the FX in and FX out meters of the channel strip.
So I can switch the insert before dynamics and eq to get an input gain level on the controller.

Feel free to download and use the codec and remotemap.
So, what are the latest directions for this codec? It mentions to copy the files to certain folders but it doesn't look like a "Remote" folder exists anymore unless I'm missing it. Any updates for installation with Reason 10?

Thanks ahead of time.

-JP
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

Ahornberg

09 Jun 2018

jetpilot00 wrote:
09 Jun 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
20 Feb 2016

The biggest one is that I mapped both buttons of the compressor (peak and fast) to the attack knob.
So all 4 possible combinations of these 2 buttons are now on one knob and so actually one knob is unused.
To get this done I signed up as a developer at PH to get the documentation for remotemaps and codecs.

The input meter display I routed to the FX in and FX out meters of the channel strip.
So I can switch the insert before dynamics and eq to get an input gain level on the controller.

So, what are the latest directions for this codec? It mentions to copy the files to certain folders but it doesn't look like a "Remote" folder exists anymore unless I'm missing it. Any updates for installation with Reason 10?

Thanks ahead of time.

-JP
Sorry, I can't help you on Reason 10, I'm on 9.5

Sorped

12 Jun 2018

jetpilot00 wrote:
09 Jun 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
20 Feb 2016

Thanks ahead of time.

-JP
If you're on Windows:
I have my Reason installed on C:, the path to my Remote folder looks like this:
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote
- make sure you can see hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

Ahornberg

12 Jun 2018

I installed my files to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Remote

jetpilot00

12 Jun 2018

As it turns out, I actually like the sound / functionality of the Console 1 more as an insert in Reason than I do as a mixer control as it looks like I won't use the built in mixer features. Your codec works perfectly fine and thank you for your time.

Man, I hope they can get Console 1 functionality like they have in Studio One soon. Even with it's current usability, my UAD plugins work perfectly fine when loaded within the Console 1 world.

-JP
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

tobypearce

17 Nov 2018

I have a couple of questions about using Console 1 in Reason.

I have it, and it's really excellent to be able to mix hands on. So far I have only used it as intended: to control the vst insert effects on each channel. I can see the wider possibilities, so I'm wondering:

1. When you install console 1 as a control surface in Reason (i.e. with the custom mapping in this thread), can you still use as an insert effect in the intended way? How does it switch between the two?

I'm looking forward to diving into this but I don't want to break anything and cause trouble for the way console 1 is working right now!!

2. I'm wondering whether a simplified version of the custom mapping might be possible, for example:
Keep most things within console one but have console 1 control volume and pan on Reason's mixer?
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

• Information