Celemony's new Melodyne 4 - holy crap!!!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

13 Jan 2016

This.. this just blows my mind. These guys are awesome! Anyone else here a fan of Melodyne?

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/new-in-melodyne-4

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

13 Jan 2016

I'm a fan. But unfortunately most of the interesting features are only available in the most expensive "studio" version... :(
I have the "editor" version only...

D.

normen

13 Jan 2016

Meh, only works with iLok2 now, guess I'll finally have to get one of those darn things to update my editor 3 version -.-

@eusti: According to the sheet here studio still only has multitrack editing, timbre changes and "Quantize to reference track" as the only advantages over the editor version. What interesting features are you talking about? Maybe they didn't update the comparison chart yet?

EnochLight

13 Jan 2016

Shit. I have to get an iLok2 to use it? I've got Essentials. Soooo wish I would have upgraded to Editor when I had the chance for $149 USD. They want $399 to upgrade from Essentials to Editor 4 - pffffffffffffffffftttttttttttt..... screw that. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

13 Jan 2016

EnochLight wrote:Shit. I have to get an iLok2 to use it? I've got Essentials. Soooo wish I would have upgraded to Editor when I had the chance for $149 USD. They want $399 to upgrade from Essentials to Editor 4 - pffffffffffffffffftttttttttttt..... screw that. :(
You can also unlock computers afaik, without any kind of iLok. But I am using an iLok (1) for Melodyne right now because I sometimes use it on different computers.

eusti

13 Jan 2016

@Normen: I'd be interested in the Sound Editor most...
I'd be curious to see if the timing feature works well, as I always thought people were unimpressed with Melodyne's timing functions...

Here's what I found: http://www.lefkan.ee/Infolehed/Melodyne ... 4%20EN.pdf

D.

eusti

13 Jan 2016

And both Editor and Studio seemed to have gotten a price hike...
$ 399 vs 499 and $ 699 vs 849... :(

D.

normen

13 Jan 2016

eusti wrote:@Normen: I'd be interested in the Sound Editor most...
I'd be curious to see if the timing feature works well, as I always thought people were unimpressed with Melodyne's timing functions...

Here's what I found: http://www.lefkan.ee/Infolehed/Melodyne ... 4%20EN.pdf

D.
Right, quite interesting but then again I'm not really mixing pop music where the extreme effects of that would help me much and for the "subtle" effects of that I guess I'd go to oldschool tricks :)

eusti

13 Jan 2016

normen wrote: Right, quite interesting but then again I'm not really mixing pop music where the extreme effects of that would help me much and for the "subtle" effects of that I guess I'd go to oldschool tricks :)
But, if you don't want those "new" features (multi track / sound editor), do you still think an update would be worthwhile?

D.

eusti

13 Jan 2016

Just found this: "I just bought the upgrade from editor v2 to studio v4 for $149. It's the same price to upgrade from studio v2. I wonder if that was a pricing mistake? The studio version normally sells for $350 more than the editor version. Also, the editor v2 to editor v4 upgrade is $99. So $149 seems like a great price to get the full version with multi-track and sound editing capabilities.. "
Here: https://audiosex.pro/threads/coming-soo ... e-4.22825/

If that pricing is correct one might consider upgrading after all...
That got me thinking... If Melodyne Studio works as a rewire master, it should work with Reason then, no?

D.

normen

14 Jan 2016

eusti wrote:But, if you don't want those "new" features (multi track / sound editor), do you still think an update would be worthwhile?

D.
Yes, Melodyne isn't perfect and due to its nature I mostly use it with problematic material so any improvement is a plus :)

normen

14 Jan 2016

eusti wrote:Just found this: "I just bought the upgrade from editor v2 to studio v4 for $149. It's the same price to upgrade from studio v2. I wonder if that was a pricing mistake? The studio version normally sells for $350 more than the editor version. Also, the editor v2 to editor v4 upgrade is $99. So $149 seems like a great price to get the full version with multi-track and sound editing capabilities.. "

That got me thinking... If Melodyne Studio works as a rewire master, it should work with Reason then, no?

D.
Wow, no, not a mistake. This option just appeared for me as well (wasn't there yesterday) and its limited until April 30th 2016

Edit: Lol, it seems I don't see this option when I first log into the Celemony website, wtf -.- Anyway, proud owner of Melodyne Studio now, now I just gotta wait until that darn iLok2 arrives ;)

Edit2: And yes, you can run Studio as a Rewire master so you should be able to use it with Reason. You can't record audio anymore when its in Slave mode though afaik.

Biolumin3sc3nt

14 Jan 2016

Damn, that looks fantastic! Now I have to see if my buddy will sell me his old Editor copy (cheap) and then upgrade to the Studio version for $150

eusti

14 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
eusti wrote:Just found this: "I just bought the upgrade from editor v2 to studio v4 for $149. It's the same price to upgrade from studio v2. I wonder if that was a pricing mistake? The studio version normally sells for $350 more than the editor version. Also, the editor v2 to editor v4 upgrade is $99. So $149 seems like a great price to get the full version with multi-track and sound editing capabilities.. "

D.
Wow, no, not a mistake. This option just appeared for me as well (wasn't there yesterday) and its limited until April 30th 2016

Edit: Lol, it seems I don't see this option when I first log into the Celemony website, wtf -.- Anyway, proud owner of Melodyne Studio now, now I just gotta wait until that darn iLok2 arrives ;)

Edit2: And yes, you can run Studio as a Rewire master so you should be able to use it with Reason. You can't record audio anymore when its in Slave mode though afaik.
Thank you for confirming this, Normen. And congrats! I couldn't find this option last night at all... The only deal I found at that time for $ 149 was the upgrade from the earlier Studio versions...

In regards to rewiring: Maybe then one could write the song, record the vocals, then rewire to correct the vocals in context? Not sure how to proceed after that get the corrected vocals into Reason though... mmmh...

D.

Edit: Now I see the option as well... That's going to be tough to resist... A lot more functionality for $ 50 more...
Last edited by eusti on 14 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

normen

14 Jan 2016

eusti wrote:Thank you for confirming this, Normen. And congrats! I couldn't find this option last night at all... The only deal I found at that time for $ 149 was the upgrade from the earlier Studio versions...

In regards to rewiring: Maybe then one could write the song, record the vocals, then rewire to correct the vocals in context? Not sure how to proceed after that get the corrected vocals into Reason though... mmmh...

D.
Honestly, in relation to the time I usually spend editing in Melodyne exporting and then importing the audio tracks is nothing. Even when working in Logic where I can use the plugin I sometimes rather do that just because of the larger window :)

eusti

14 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
eusti wrote:Thank you for confirming this, Normen. And congrats! I couldn't find this option last night at all... The only deal I found at that time for $ 149 was the upgrade from the earlier Studio versions...

D.
Honestly, in relation to the time I usually spend editing in Melodyne exporting and then importing the audio tracks is nothing. Even when working in Logic where I can use the plugin I sometimes rather do that just because of the larger window :)
I'm not sure I understand here... Are you talking about my suggested workflow or the workflow up until now?
I usually use Garageband export a track with all the "playback" / background music and separately my vocals... Then use Melodyne as a plugin...

D.

normen

14 Jan 2016

eusti wrote:I'm not sure I understand here... Are you talking about my suggested workflow or the workflow up until now?
I usually use Garageband export a track with all the "playback" / background music and separately my vocals... Then use Melodyne as a plugin...

D.
I am talking about the workflow that I often fall back to despite the possibility of other workflows (like using the plugin). Again, its often not more cumbersome or slow than inserting the plugin, playing the audio into the plugin and then editing in the small window. Plus if you upgrade to studio, editing choirs etc. is more convenient in the standalone app anyway.

C//AZM

14 Jan 2016

normen wrote:Honestly, in relation to the time I usually spend editing in Melodyne exporting and then importing the audio tracks is nothing. Even when working in Logic where I can use the plugin I sometimes rather do that just because of the larger window :)
The time spent is usually the problem with me too. I always use melodyne as a stand alone. I have no desire to use the tuning application as a plugin...unless it's in an audiosuite type way. I really wish you could use melodyne as an audiosuite plugin just like all of the other file editing plugins in PT. Seems like a no brainer to me.....Too much cpu to have several stacked vocals running stacked iterations of a tuning plugin. With Reason, I'd rather import, tune and then export rather than run in rewire. I hope they've improved a few of their more clunky interface issues.

I also wish their old "Spot to Protools"(which also worked in other daws), still worked. You could import into Melodyne, tune, and then hit spot to PT and it would place the corrected file right back where you got it.
I'm not too interested in the tempo change function because if I want tempo or meter changes, they will go in the DAW. But with new versions come better functionality....sometimes. But I do like the new sound design and tone "screw withables" in the editor.
Last edited by C//AZM on 14 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

normen

14 Jan 2016

C//AZM wrote:I'm not too interested in the tempo change function because if I want tempo or meter changes, they will go in the DAW. But with new versions come better functionality....sometimes.
Well if its really that good at recognizing the tempo it will be a great tool to get a timing track for the DAW for live recordings. ProTools and Logic are okay in recognizing the tempo but often times it doesn't work too well, I often end up hitting in the quarters via MIDI to get a proper tempo track.

C//AZM

14 Jan 2016

Ahh, the other side of the track. Yeah I was referring to creating tempo changes in new songs, not "RECOGNIZING" tempo changes. Yes I'm with you on that one. Didn't even thing of that.

C//AZM

14 Jan 2016

But then again, it's not been super good at recognizing tempo so far. I've not been able to get a consistant tempo recognition even on pop songs where the hook went "Oh Oh Oh Oh" in quarter notes.

eusti

14 Jan 2016

Thanks for explaining, Normen!

Please report back your experiences with the new version! Love to hear your point of view.

D.

EnochLight

15 Jan 2016

I hate you guys. :mrgreen: ;) I'm still kicking myself for not upgrading to Editor when I had the chance! :oops: :evil:

T.G.

15 Jan 2016

yes Eusti, I agree.
would love to hear Normens' point of view (and any others!)

Very keen on this software, but it's always been out of my league £ wise...

Want it so much, wish it was integrated into reason, even monophonically, i've used logic for this, but would love DNA, and i know they have opened their software up with their own code - can't remember what its called but it's integrated into presonus' software, so why aren't the props onto that as well!

I hope that at NAMM props will announce something that we can all shout about!
integrate Ableton link, and get the audio editing up to snuff - please!

normen

15 Jan 2016

I'll edit a live performance of my band with it during the next weeks, I'll let you know how it handles tempo recognition, pitch and also try out the new Sound Editor. Its a live recording and we're not super good so it'll be a good test I suppose ;) I'll report back here.

• Information