New sound card question - ASUS Essence STX

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
sustainedtriplet

10 Jan 2016

Greetings,

I just purchased a new Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. It looks like the driver for this this comes from ASIO. However, when I select this option in the Sound preferences, I can't find any way to moderate the volume. Turning down the master volume has no effect, nor does turning down the volume (or even muting) the sound via the Windows 7 task bar. I also get frequent messages saying, "Your audio driver has stopped working...Go to the Audio page in the Preferences dialog and choose a different driver" Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks!

EnochLight

11 Jan 2016

sustainedtriplet wrote:Greetings,

I just purchased a new Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. It looks like the driver for this this comes from ASIO. However, when I select this option in the Sound preferences, I can't find any way to moderate the volume. Turning down the master volume has no effect, nor does turning down the volume (or even muting) the sound via the Windows 7 task bar. I also get frequent messages saying, "Your audio driver has stopped working...Go to the Audio page in the Preferences dialog and choose a different driver" Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks!
That's a consumer grade multimedia card, more or less meant for watching movies, gaming, and listening to music. Sounds like their ASIO implementation is buggy.

Have you tried using it with ASIO4ALL instead? It's free open-source ASIO drivers that you may have better luck with:

http://www.asio4all.com/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jappe

11 Jan 2016

sustainedtriplet wrote:Greetings,

Thanks!
Hello Sustainedtriplet, and welcome to the forum!
Login to the BIOS and disable the onboard audio card, in case that's what is clashing with your card.

• Information