The Winter NAMM 2016 Thread

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

20 Jan 2016

eXode wrote:This is not related directly to NAMM but for anyone wanting to "dip his/her toes" into the world of modular I can highly recommend taking a close look at the Phenol by Kilpatrick Audio. It has a $849 USD Retail Price, and I think that for the money you get a lot. Also I do believe that a somewhat closed system like the Phenol is better for a beginner, as it forces you to learn the basics.

The world of Eurorack is deep and it's very easy to both get lost and loose focus. I would recommend anyone going into Euro to make up a plan first.[/url]
I would think that the Moog Mother-32 would be an excellent option for the same reasons (and is $250 cheaper). They've packed most of what you need to get started in the eurorack world into one device (a fully functioning synth on it's own)...and then it's in a package that can easily expand into the eurorack world.

But I've also had my eye on the Phenol since the kickstarter campaign. Looks very cool! Wish stores around me carried it so I could try it.

Resonator

20 Jan 2016

gak wrote:
Resonator wrote:I better start playing the Powerball more often. :)
Don't bother. It's always "someone else" that wins.
Haha! Yeah that's true. :lol:

pjeudy

20 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:New synth from Rob Papen:

also:
Hi,

We work very hard on this project and it will be released ahead of BLUE-II.
So it will be our first big release!

Of course we keep it secret what it is, but it is exciting...way exciting.
I can't wait to start the first preset build with it!

Cheers,

Rob
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pjeudy

21 Jan 2016

At NAMM 2016 PreSonus unveils a new portable audio interface with class A solid-state mic preamps that can record up to 192 kHz... and it'll carry a sub $600 street price.
presonus.png
presonus.png (378.89 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
*Simultaneously stream up to 26 inputs and 32 outputs at 48 kHz —8x14 at 192 kHz.
*Take advantage of Studio One® Fat Channel plug-in processing on every analog input and the first eight ADAT input channels, with near-zero-latency (2 ms, input to output) monitoring.
*Use the Studio 192 as your studio command center with monitor mixing, speaker switching, and two independent headphone outputs.
*Remote control your XMAX™ preamps and create zero-latency monitor mixes from UC Surface, Studio One, and Studio One Remote for iPad®
*Expand your I/O by adding a DigiMax DP88 8-channel A/D/A converter with remote-controllable preamps.
Attachments
presonus-studio 192.jpg
presonus-studio 192.jpg (155.14 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

Gulale

21 Jan 2016

Harrison TTC-1 TouchOSC layout for Mixbus http://hexler.net/software/touchosc)
Gulale aka Bereket

eXode

21 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
eXode wrote:This is not related directly to NAMM but for anyone wanting to "dip his/her toes" into the world of modular I can highly recommend taking a close look at the Phenol by Kilpatrick Audio. It has a $849 USD Retail Price, and I think that for the money you get a lot. Also I do believe that a somewhat closed system like the Phenol is better for a beginner, as it forces you to learn the basics.

The world of Eurorack is deep and it's very easy to both get lost and loose focus. I would recommend anyone going into Euro to make up a plan first.[/url]
I would think that the Moog Mother-32 would be an excellent option for the same reasons (and is $250 cheaper). They've packed most of what you need to get started in the eurorack world into one device (a fully functioning synth on it's own)...and then it's in a package that can easily expand into the eurorack world.

But I've also had my eye on the Phenol since the kickstarter campaign. Looks very cool! Wish stores around me carried it so I could try it.
The Mother-32 is much simpler specced though. The Phenol has dual oscillators, dual envelopes, dual filters.

eXode

21 Jan 2016

Arturia MatrixBrute

eXode

21 Jan 2016

Dave Smith Instruments OB-6

Two Legends. One Instrument
The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between the two most influential designers in poly synth history, Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. The OB-6 takes the classic bold Tom Oberheim sound — with its true voltage-controlled oscillators, 2-pole filter, and amplifiers — and adds modern enhancements such as studio-quality effects, a polyphonic step sequencer, an arpeggiator, and more. No other modern analog poly synth can boast such a pedigree or such a massive, in-your-face sonic signature.

Vintage SEM Tone
The OB-6 sound engine is inspired by Tom’s original SEM, the core of his acclaimed 4-voice and 8- voice synthesizers. It features two discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) per voice with continuously variable waveshapes (sawtooth and variable-width pulse, plus a triangle wave on oscillator 2). The classic Oberheim-inspired 2-pole, state-variable, resonant filter provides low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and notch functionality. Voltage-controlled amplifiers complete the all-analog signal path.

Dual Effects
The dual effects section provides studio-quality reverbs, delays (standard and BBD), chorus, flangers, and faithful recreations of Tom’s original phase shifter and ring modulator. While the effects themselves are digital, with 24-bit, 48 kHz resolution, a true bypass maintains a full analog signal path.

X-Mod and Poly Step Sequencing
Also present is X-Mod, which expands the tonal palette and makes it easy to create dramatic and unconventional sounds. Modulation sources are filter envelope and oscillator 2, both with bi-polar control. Destinations include oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, filter cutoff, and filter mode. The polyphonic step sequencer allows up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. You can create sequences polyphonically, with rests, and sync to an external MIDI clock. The full-featured arpeggiator can be synced to external MIDI clock as well. Unison mode features configurable voice count (1-6 voices), chord memory, and key modes.

Easy to Program
The knob-per-function front panel puts virtually all OB-6 functions at your fingertips. Included are 500 permanent factory programs and 500 rewritable user programs. Turning on the Manual button enables live panel mode, in which the sound of the OB-6 switches to its current front panel settings. In this state, what you see is what you hear.

Easy to Play
This analog powerhouse is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio.
Last edited by eXode on 21 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Skullture

21 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:At NAMM 2016 PreSonus unveils a new portable audio interface with class A solid-state mic preamps that can record up to 192 kHz... and it'll carry a sub $600 street price.
presonus.png
*Simultaneously stream up to 26 inputs and 32 outputs at 48 kHz —8x14 at 192 kHz.
*Take advantage of Studio One® Fat Channel plug-in processing on every analog input and the first eight ADAT input channels, with near-zero-latency (2 ms, input to output) monitoring.
*Use the Studio 192 as your studio command center with monitor mixing, speaker switching, and two independent headphone outputs.
*Remote control your XMAX™ preamps and create zero-latency monitor mixes from UC Surface, Studio One, and Studio One Remote for iPad®
*Expand your I/O by adding a DigiMax DP88 8-channel A/D/A converter with remote-controllable preamps.
This one is really appealing. I want a live demo of this. *googles

Skullture

21 Jan 2016

Woops sorry for the doublepost but what does RP mean with this post?

pjeudy

21 Jan 2016

Skullture wrote:Woops sorry for the doublepost but what does RP mean with this post?

Rob Papen the lead developer.

eusti

21 Jan 2016

Real Grand? Rio Grande? Real Guitar? Really Good? Rob's Guitar? Crap... The possibilities are endless! ;)

D/

riemac

21 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:
Skullture wrote:Woops sorry for the doublepost but what does RP mean with this post?

I guess this:

RG is a unique groove plug-in that is far more than just a "virtual Rhythm Guitar player !
New released RG 1.5 included 'Muted Guitar' model.

By using the RG onboard sequencer it is possible to create classic Rhythm Guitar grooves, but beyond that you can use the synthesizer features and effects to make fresh new edgy guitar grooves. To play the grooves RG is using a keyboard layout of "major chords" and "minor chords", each with two sequence patterns (A or B) option.
It is only a matter of hitting a single note in the major keyboard range or minor keyboard range and the groove plays. The sound sets are clean sampled guitars, which gives you great freedom and flexibility when using the synthesizer features and effects of RG.

RG 1.5 Guitar types included are:
- The classic Fender Stratocaster ? electric guitar (major and minor7 chords)
- A 8th note groove type Steel String acoustic guitar (major and minor chords)
- A 16th note groove type Steel String acoustic guitar (major and minor chords)
- A Power Chord groove type Distorted guitar ( 5ths chords / absense of 3rd)
- Muted Low and Muted High groove type guitar (single notes / no chords)

The synthesizer parts of RG include a classic analog modelled synthesizer filter, LFO, envelopes and modulation section. The effect section can be built up by using up to 3 effects at a time. Included are midi time-based delays, chorus and also speaker simulators, phaser, flanger and many more. Included are over 1000 presets included 850 "RG" grooves and 300 "basic" grooves. Watch the "Video Tutorial" about RG!

RG the very first "Rhythm Guitar Synth".

eusti

21 Jan 2016

riemac wrote:
pjeudy wrote:

I guess this:

RG is a unique groove plug-in that is far more than just a "virtual Rhythm Guitar player !
New released RG 1.5 included 'Muted Guitar' model.

By using the RG onboard sequencer it is possible to create classic Rhythm Guitar grooves, but beyond that you can use the synthesizer features and effects to make fresh new edgy guitar grooves. To play the grooves RG is using a keyboard layout of "major chords" and "minor chords", each with two sequence patterns (A or B) option.
It is only a matter of hitting a single note in the major keyboard range or minor keyboard range and the groove plays. The sound sets are clean sampled guitars, which gives you great freedom and flexibility when using the synthesizer features and effects of RG.

RG 1.5 Guitar types included are:
- The classic Fender Stratocaster ? electric guitar (major and minor7 chords)
- A 8th note groove type Steel String acoustic guitar (major and minor chords)
- A 16th note groove type Steel String acoustic guitar (major and minor chords)
- A Power Chord groove type Distorted guitar ( 5ths chords / absense of 3rd)
- Muted Low and Muted High groove type guitar (single notes / no chords)

The synthesizer parts of RG include a classic analog modelled synthesizer filter, LFO, envelopes and modulation section. The effect section can be built up by using up to 3 effects at a time. Included are midi time-based delays, chorus and also speaker simulators, phaser, flanger and many more. Included are over 1000 presets included 850 "RG" grooves and 300 "basic" grooves. Watch the "Video Tutorial" about RG!

RG the very first "Rhythm Guitar Synth".
That would be cool. Especially if it sounds good and includes the possibility to customize the grooves.

D.

eusti

21 Jan 2016

Some of the sounds in the original version aren't that great in my opinion...
The Funk Guitar sounds pretty good...
Not a super fan of the power chord distorted sound... Hopefully they'd offer that as a clean version as we have some decent amp sims and FX in Reason already...
Altogether I'm curious to see if this is going to happen, but somewhat cautious as RG is originally from 2008...

But check things out for yourselves!!

http://www.robpapen.com/rg.html

D.

eXode

21 Jan 2016

Wonderful piece on the DSI + Tom Oberheim OB-6

pjeudy

21 Jan 2016

**LIVE ***
Universal Audio Live! @ NAMM 2016
Last edited by pjeudy on 22 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

pjeudy

21 Jan 2016

Tom Oberheim & Dave Smith Introduce the OB-6

Winter NAMM 2016: OB-6 Interview with Dave Smith

NOW the good stuff...*PADS* how it sounds! :o

And now MONTAGE
MONTAGE.jpg
MONTAGE.jpg (184.99 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

Yamaha Montage : Acoustic's Sounds..This is not just software people!!

Hardware is Back with a vengeance!!!!

pjeudy

21 Jan 2016

NAMM2016: Arturia Matrix Brute - What Do You Want To Know?

1. Three Analog Oscillators:
Sawtooth, Pulse, Triangle, waves with the unique waveshapers that have become the trademark of the 'Brute' sound. There is also a sub-oscillator on each of the two Brute oscillators.

2. Combination VCO/LFO oscillator:
The third Osciallator can be used for both audio signals and LFO modulation at the same time. You do not have to choose either operation here so you can always have that big 3 oscillator sound.

3. Noise Generator:
Noise generator with White, Pink, Red and Blue noise types. The most versatile on the market.

4. Audio Mod:
The AUDIO MOD section allows for complex oscillator and filter FM possibilities bringing whole new tonalities to your sound.

5. Performance Controls:
Pitch bend and mod wheels and 4 Macro encoders which can be assigned to any of the modulation destinations for instant hands on performance playing.

6. Voice Modes:
Multiple keyboard modes for mono, paraphonic and duo-split modes. Split oscialltors for paraphonic mode or use the duo split mode to play a sequence while playing notes over the top of it.

7. Three LFO’s:
Two standalone LFO’s with 7 waveforms and trigger modes allow for complex modulations. The combination VCO/LFO adds a 3rd LFO in the system.

8. Mixer:
Mix and blend Oscillators 1, 2, 3, as well as the noise generator and EXTERNAL input sources. Route each mixer input to the filter of your choice using the FILTER assign buttons.

9. Steiner-Parker filter:
We have upgraded our Steiner Parker filter to support both 12db per octave and 24db per octave slopes as well as a DRIVE control for making thicker sounds. The 4 modes, Low pass, band pass, high pass, and notch allow for a vast array of sound making possibilites.

10. Ladder Filter:
We have included a traditional beefy Ladder filter with both 12db and 24db per octave slopes as well as Low Pass, High Pass & Band Pass modes and a Drive control. This filter design is known for making punchy bass and thick lead sounds.

11. Filter routing:
The two filters can be patched in series or in parallel configurations.

12. 3 Envelope Generators:
The two ADSR envelopes and the 3rd DADSR envelope give you plenty of sound sculpting tools.

13. 256 Memory locations:
Store and recall your favorite sounds at the touch of a button. You can organize, save and load new banks of sounds using the free MIDI Control Center editor application. We deliver MatrixBrute with 128 factory presets.

14. The Matrix
The matrix is the heart of Matrixbrute. It allows for complex modulation routing, step-sequencing and instant preset recall.

Modulation Routing: You can assign any of 16 modulation sources to any of 16 mod destinations. 4 destinations are user programmable and can be seen in the e-ink display. Set amounts of each modulation routing using the data encoder.

Step Sequencer: The matrix can be used as a 64 step sequencer with separate STEP, ACCENT, SLIDE and MODULATION steps.

Preset Recall: In Preset mode the matrix allows you to recall any of 256 presets at the touch of a button.

15. True Analog Effects.
To enhance your sonic pleasure we have added an analog and Delay/ Chorus/ Flanger to the output. Choose from any of 5 operation modes. And YES! the controls in the analog effects can be set as modulation destinations in the Matrix.

16. Sequencer/Arpeggiator controls
The sequencer and arpeggiator add to the playability of the Matrixbrute. Multiple modes of both the seq and arp allow for unlimited musical ideas to be realized.

17. Keyboard
The 49 note keyboard features both velocity and aftertouch for a musical feel with plenty of expression.

18. Master Audio Outputs:
Stereo ¼” jacks for your master audio outputs.

19. Control Voltage Interfacing:
12 CV Inputs and 12 CV Outputs allow the Matrixbrute to interface with your standard 1V per octave modular synth gear.

20. Audio Input:
Line and instrument levels allow for adding an external oscillator from your favorite modular synth or processing a guitar or bass through the filters, VCA and analog effects.

21. Gate I/O:
The Gate inputs and outputs allow you to trigger external gear or trigger the internal envelopes remotely.

22. Sync in and out
This allows you to synchronize the MatrixBrute’s sequencer and arpeggiator with external devices.

23. Pedal Inputs
Experssion and Sustain pedal inputs give you real-time control to expand on your expressive capabilities control.

24. MIDI Interfacing
Standard MIDI in, out and thru will connect you to both modern and vintage gear alike.

25. USB
USB I/O allows you to interface to a computer DAW directly. This is also the link to use our free editor/librarian software provided for the MatrixBrute.

Jesus...this thing Is freaking SICK !!!!!
Last edited by pjeudy on 22 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

gak

21 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:At NAMM 2016 PreSonus unveils a new portable audio interface with class A solid-state mic preamps that can record up to 192 kHz... and it'll carry a sub $600 street price.
presonus.png
I hope someone competent is writing the drivers for it.

Vince-Noir-99

22 Jan 2016

Teenage Engineering seems to have dropped the OP-1 and now focuses on small music gadgets :(

• Information