The Winter NAMM 2016 Thread

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
eXode

13 Jan 2016

Korg Minilogue back. Nice...

joeyluck

13 Jan 2016

eXode wrote:Korg Minilogue back. Nice...

Very well designed.
I'm curious to hear how it sounds! Is this perhaps building upon the Volca Keys (in terms of inexpensive polyphonic analog)? Given the OLED display, ample control, polyphonic analog, and very nice design; it's hard to believe the street price of $499 leaves much room for anything else. But, I'm sure whatever sound this thing makes, I am likely to appreciate at $499. Can't wait to hear it!

eusti

13 Jan 2016

Melodyne Update:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/nam ... mpo-633054
Impressive stuff... But the most interesting features are in the most expensive version only... :(

D.

EnochLight

13 Jan 2016

eusti wrote:Melodyne Update:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/nam ... mpo-633054
Impressive stuff... But the most interesting features are in the most expensive version only... :(

D.
Crap - didn't see this post and just started a thread about this. Melodyne 4 looks incredible!!!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

13 Jan 2016

I agree, EnochLight!

D.

eXode

14 Jan 2016

KORG Minilogue demo by Sweetwater. Minilogue product page on Sweetwater

Last edited by eXode on 14 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

MarkTarlton

14 Jan 2016

eXode wrote:KORG Minilogue demo by Sweetwater. Minilogue product page on Sweetwater

this thing is packed with features and sounds nice! I want!!

Tumble

14 Jan 2016

Fuck me that sequencer is cool. There isn't much analog gear that interests me, but this just might

And for 500$.... I wonder if they're sweating over at Elektron right now :)

eXode

14 Jan 2016

Thorough walkthrough by Kraft Music (not really a musical demo, it's mostly focused on features).

joeyluck

14 Jan 2016

I filled out the form to have Sweetwater notify me when the Minilogue is in stock.

Just got notified!

Unprecedented. Not even sure Korg has made an official announcement? It's smart. Many things lose a bit of steam after being hyped and teased for a few months before being available. Anybody buying before trying or seeing more?

Resonator

14 Jan 2016

I had no idea it was already being sold. Can't wait to find out what I'll get back on my income tax return when I get my W2 forms.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Jan 2016

Hmmm

It's so close, but honestly, lack of proper pitch-bend/mod wheel is very, very odd: there's effectively an assignable mod slider, but there's no way to do proper lead-solo bends as (presumably) there's no centre-return. Love the look, but based on the above video, I'm not feeling the playability, especially with the endless rotary knob for the voice settings.

One thing solo players love is to use mod wheel and pitchbend together, often with aftertouch as well.

I do appreciate Korg making an effort, but grrrr. A synth without pitch-bend and mod wheels is about as useful as ice blades on a roller-skate.

pjeudy

14 Jan 2016

A few words froms Tastsuya Takahashi Chief Engineer of Analog Synth Development

KORG Minilogue demo by Olivier Briand

Korg Minilogue - Smashed it out of the park with this one!

Korg Minilog: PlugInGuru Quick-e Tour

Korg Minilogue Preview #2: Pads
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

joeyluck

14 Jan 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:Hmmm

It's so close, but honestly, lack of proper pitch-bend/mod wheel is very, very odd: there's effectively an assignable mod slider, but there's no way to do proper lead-solo bends as (presumably) there's no centre-return. Love the look, but based on the above video, I'm not feeling the playability, especially with the endless rotary knob for the voice settings.

One thing solo players love is to use mod wheel and pitchbend together, often with aftertouch as well.

I do appreciate Korg making an effort, but grrrr. A synth without pitch-bend and mod wheels is about as useful as ice blades on a roller-skate.
The lever springs back to center. I think it will play better than a pitch wheel for me personally.
I can understand how not having a mod wheel feels lacking. I guess you would just have to work that LFO? I haven't had a chance to read much or watch much of the videos. It does have USB and MIDI IN and OUT, so even as a synth module being controlled by another keyboard with other controls; this thing seems incredible for the price.

joeyluck

14 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:A few words froms Tastsuya Takahashi Chief Engineer of Analog Synth Development
This sounds lovely!

I am impressed.
Maybe even more so impressed that this many people have had it in their hands to review/demo, that it is in stores already, and there just happened to be a "leaked" image a few days ago.

This seems like a sound designers dream. I was expecting cheesy sounds. But no, this sounds fantastic!

joeyluck

14 Jan 2016

I should've hit buy sooner! Lol

From Sweetwater:
  • Due to the astounding popularity of this spectacular new analog synth, the first shipment that we received from Korg is already completely sold out. Without a doubt, there will be continued high demand for the minilogue, so please don't hesitate to place your order with us so that we can secure for you the best possible place in line - and ship your new Korg minilogue from Sweetwater's earliest possible shipment.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote: The lever springs back to center. I think it will play better than a pitch wheel for me personally.
I can understand how not having a mod wheel feels lacking. I guess you would just have to work that LFO? I haven't had a chance to read much or watch much of the videos. It does have USB and MIDI IN and OUT, so even as a synth module being controlled by another keyboard with other controls; this thing seems incredible for the price.
Ah ok, I couldn't see that. Still, if they only wanted a single slider, they could have done a combined pitch/mod controller easily enough (like a lot of Roland gear). I get that synth design always involves compromises, and it's rare that one machine will be ever be able to do everything one wants, and that can be a useful point of differentiation. It's a pretty thing, though, and seems excellent value. Still, I'll continue to question their obsession with those stupid reduced key sizes. They talk about it being so portable; well, the MS2000 was full size and that's hardly a burden to move around

Actually, I think I just want Korg to bloody well just do a full analogue MS2000 ;)

joeyluck

14 Jan 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:Actually, I think I just want Korg to bloody well just do a full analogue MS2000 ;)
You know it would be an MS2000 Mini lol

I agree about the keys.
Although I actually don't mind the micro keys, as I call them (such as what is found on the MicroKORG and MicroKEYS). Not sure how to distinguish them sometimes as apparently they are defined as 'mini' keys (what I refer to as micro) vs 'slim' keys (such as this and MS-20 Mini). I have been calling them mini vs micro as they are the keys found respectively on the mini synths vs micro synths and controllers. But whatever. I say go small and portable or stay full-size.

joeyluck

15 Jan 2016

I prefer to purchase through Sweetwater, but Kraft Music is offering free gig bag? Seriously? As if the deal on the Minilogue wasn't good enough...
http://www.kraftmusic.com/korg-minilogu ... g-kit.html

Seeing it, reading the specs, hearing the sounds, hearing the reviews of the build quality... I am fascinated how they can deliver this synth at this price.

So has anybody dealt with Kraft Music before? Based on their in-depth review/walkthrough, they seem like a nice shop to deal with.

pjeudy

15 Jan 2016

NAMM 2016: Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analogue Synthesizer Demo

Review: Korg minilogue 4-voice analog synthesizer

KORG minilogue : la démo complète du nouveau synthé analogique (vidéo de la Boite Noire) ***FRENCH***

KORG minilogue POLYPHONIC ANALOGUE SYNTHESIZER
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

joeyluck

15 Jan 2016

Curious what other showstoppers there might be. Lots of excitement around the Minilogue. I wonder if Arturia will have another offering? Hard to believe at this point somebody shopping for a budget analog synth is going to pull the trigger on a Minibrute for $399 (which is supposedly a temporary price drop from $499) over the Minilogue for $499. Maybe folks who are sold more on the key size? Or folks who decide to own both :) But Korg definitely raised the bar again.

eusti

15 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:Actually, I think I just want Korg to bloody well just do a full analogue MS2000 ;)
You know it would be an MS2000 Mini lol
That would be cool. But as a huge fan of the DSS-1 I'm very partial to the included DWGS waveforms!
Still, I'd love something like the DSS-1 in a smaller form factor... ;)

D.

Heater

15 Jan 2016

A really nice synth at an amazing price. I'm salivating.

pjeudy

15 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:Lots of excitement around the Minilogue.
Been thinking the same....loads of excitement !!!!

• Information