The Winter NAMM 2016 Thread

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
eXode

08 Jan 2016

I thought that we could collect rumors and news pertaining to Winter NAMM 2016 in this thread.

eXode

08 Jan 2016

Found this over at Gearslutz. Apparently this image surfaced on Instagram.

According to rumors it's going to be 4 voices with various voice modes (split/layer/unison, etc). There's a keyboard and a knobby interface. Apparently there's an OLED screen with an oscilloscope as well.

KORG Minilogue - is a fully programmable, 4-voice polyphonic synthesizer, is also equipped with built-in reverb and delay effects. KORG company offers the best way to get acquainted with a unique, stunning features of the analog synthesizer. Synthesizer has a unique analog engine, quick access to the 100 factory 100 user presets, 8 voice modes to create its configuration of 4 notes - unison, polyphony, and so on. The front panel 41 of the controller to configure and quick change function, the oscilloscope in real time gives a visual check of sound, 16-step sequencer with automation polyphonic up to 4 parameters synthesizer and more.

Short video that showcases the scope/display:

joeyluck

08 Jan 2016

eXode wrote:Found this over at Gearslutz. Apparently this image surfaced on Instagram.

According to rumors it's going to be 4 voices with various voice modes (split/layer/unison, etc). There's a keyboard and a knobby interface. Apparently there's an OLED screen with an oscilloscope as well.

KORG Minilogue - is a fully programmable, 4-voice polyphonic synthesizer, is also equipped with built-in reverb and delay effects. KORG company offers the best way to get acquainted with a unique, stunning features of the analog synthesizer. Synthesizer has a unique analog engine, quick access to the 100 factory 100 user presets, 8 voice modes to create its configuration of 4 notes - unison, polyphony, and so on. The front panel 41 of the controller to configure and quick change function, the oscilloscope in real time gives a visual check of sound, 16-step sequencer with automation polyphonic up to 4 parameters synthesizer and more.
This looks cool. I just wish Korg would stick with full-size keys or micro keys. I can't tell, but these look like mini keys? And given the name...

The mini keys they've been using on thing like the MS-20 Mini and the ARP just look and feel weird. Not much wider than micro keys, but longer...

eXode

08 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:This looks cool. I just wish Korg would stick with full-size keys or micro keys. I can't tell, but these look like mini keys? And given the name...

The mini keys they've been using on thing like the MS-20 Mini and the ARP just look and feel weird. Not much wider than micro keys, but longer...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're slim keys (like the ARP Odyssey).

joeyluck

08 Jan 2016

eXode wrote:
joeyluck wrote:This looks cool. I just wish Korg would stick with full-size keys or micro keys. I can't tell, but these look like mini keys? And given the name...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're slim keys (like the ARP Odyssey).
:(
I say be ultra portable or not. The micro keys, while not loved by all are proven to work and are playable for most. Same size as keys you find on classics like the DX100. So I don't get the in-between compromise.

I found the mini keys on the MS-20 Mini to be very awkward to play. Keep in mind I own and play both a Korg MicroKey controller and DX100 alongside an AX-7 and Studiologic SL-990 XP. I've previously emailed their support and asked them to please stop lol.

tt_lab

08 Jan 2016

There's a rumor that there will be a Roland Aira sampler, maybe mv9000?
Holding up my money to see if it is real.

Vince-Noir-99

08 Jan 2016

Teenage Engineering haven't updated the OP-1 OS in over a year and on the operator-1 forum (at least up to not too long ago) users seemed to have lost any hope to see any update coming in the future at all... Due to the introduction of the Pocket Operators I guess.
However it would be a nice surprise to see some new synth/effect. Their last update included the amazing CWO, designed by Dr Lindström. (which now that I have Echobode I finally understand!! ;))
Let's hope!!
617d026446dfa97f1f6283f3c76decf5.jpg
617d026446dfa97f1f6283f3c76decf5.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 2578 times

joeyluck

08 Jan 2016

Also, I find Sweetwater to be a great place to stay up-to-date.
They are quick to post news during NAMM and quick to get things in the shop for preorder with all the info.

Keep an eye on these links around that time:
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/show/winter-namm-2016/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... sneak-peek
Some announcements come early.

eXode

09 Jan 2016

Another image surfaced on gs

Resonator

09 Jan 2016

Korg's giving me GAS again.

Skullture

09 Jan 2016

eXode wrote:Another image surfaced on gs

That little led indicating the waveform has gotten all my attention.

Is Korg going to run with my money soon? Who knows..

gak

09 Jan 2016

I made a thread about this, nobody has been interested so far.

http://www.lumit-audio.com/

Skullture

10 Jan 2016

gak wrote:I made a thread about this, nobody has been interested so far.

http://www.lumit-audio.com/
Not sure if there is a lot to discuss already, they don't show a lot in the preview do they?

joeyluck

12 Jan 2016

This also surfaced... If it's true and only $499, it's going to sell like hotcakes. Doesn't hint at being a VA...simply says polyphonic analog.

joeyluck

12 Jan 2016

Again, not a fan of mini keys. I'd take the micro keys over mini, but in these photos the scale of the keys look more natural than on the MS-20 Mini. Not sure. Dunno if it's just more fitting to the keyboard. But I will have to see how it plays in the store.

Gulale

12 Jan 2016

control pad for free hehehe
Gulale aka Bereket

jappe

12 Jan 2016

Celemony has been on NAMM before so I guess they will be there this year too. Quite possibly talking about the next version of Melodyne...

http://www.celemony.com/maintenance.html

EDIT: yep they will be there:

"From January 21-24 we will be at the NAMM Show in Hall A, booths 6331 & 6242 and on Level 2, in Room 201 CD."

gak

12 Jan 2016

Gulale wrote:control pad for free hehehe
:lol:

MOST BRILLIANT AD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pjeudy

12 Jan 2016

IK Multimedia | “Revolutionary Mastering Product” Announcement

What do you get when a multi-Grammy award winning mastering studio teams up with the global leader in mobile music creation and production tools?

At NAMM 2016, Lurssen Mastering and IK Multimedia will unveil a totally unique mastering product that brings the finesse, expertise and creative insight of the award winning mastering studio and innovative technological leadership of IK to musicians, producers and engineers around the globe.

Gavin Lurssen is the Chief Mastering Engineer for Lurssen Mastering and has been a mastering engineer since 1991. Gavin is a seven-time Grammy nominee and has won four Grammys and awarded two TEC awards for outstanding facility and for mastering. He is a graduate of The Berklee College of Music in Boston and is a recipient of their Distinguished Alumni Award for his achievements in mastering. Gavin is currently serving a second term as the professional development committee co-chair for the Board of Governors of The Recording Academy (The Grammys).

Gavin has mastered albums for renowned artists such as Foo Fighters, Ben Harper, Queens Of The Stone Age, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Eric Clapton, Miranda Lambert, Rickie Lee Jones and Elvis Costello. The extent of his mastering isn't limited to just music artists. Gavin also worked on the soundtracks from the video game, Titanfall as well as movie soundtracks from Cars 1 & 2, Tangled, The Hunger Games, Crazy Heart, Ratatouille, Nashville TV series and many more.

Want to know what we're unveiling? You'll have to come to the IK Multimedia booth at NAMM, Room 210B for a first-hand glimpse into the future with Gavin Lurssen and the IK team, and to see all of the new industry-leading innovative products from IK Multimedia.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pjeudy

12 Jan 2016

T-Rex Replicator | Analog Tape Delay Guitar Effects Pedal

While the quality of tape delay emulators has come a long way, nothing beats the sound of a genuine magnetic tape delay. The REPLICATOR is a pure analog tape delay, handmade in Denmark by T-Rex Engineering. This ultimate tape echo unit features two playback heads for three output modes, a chorus mode that modulates the pitch of the echos, two expression pedal inputs to control delay time and feedback in real time, and uses a durable C30 1/8″ chrome tape cassette for a long life and easy replacement. The goal was to make a tape echo unit that could nail the sound quality of the old echo units, but surpass them in features.

BioTek | Organic Synthesizer

Tracktion has announced the release of BioTek, a premium quality virtual instrument that combines an advanced synthesis engine with a stunning array of sampled sounds from natural, urban, and mechanical environments. Built on the entirely new Acktion™ platform, this “organic synthesizer” is designed to place a wide range of sound sculpting tools on a single screen interface. BioTek’s natural and environmental sounds are samples from a collection spanning 20 years of field recordings across the country. Read more at https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek

Waldorf Kassettenspieler | Tapeloop Synthesizer *Rumor*
Waldorf-Kassettenspieler.jpg
Waldorf-Kassettenspieler.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Rumors have emerged across the internet that Waldorf may unveil a new tapeloop synthesizer called Kassettenspieler inspired by the legendary sounds of tape instruments.
Rumored Specs:
ARM processor
Analog multimode-filter
128GB flash memory
Stereo output
USB connection for transferring samples
MIDI in and out
Software editor for samples
Digital FX with reverb and phaser from Streichfett
12 memory location
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

gak

12 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:IK/snip
I'm not an IK "hater" but that ad looks like this:

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to seeing what it is.

Gulale

13 Jan 2016

gak wrote:
Gulale wrote:control pad for free hehehe
:lol:

MOST BRILLIANT AD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No seriously Gak it is going to be a game changer for me once the control surface released. Much better than faderport.
Gulale aka Bereket

eXode

13 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:Again, not a fan of mini keys. I'd take the micro keys over mini, but in these photos the scale of the keys look more natural than on the MS-20 Mini. Not sure. Dunno if it's just more fitting to the keyboard. But I will have to see how it plays in the store.
Not mini keys, slim keys. The same variant that is on the new ARP Odyssey (and MS20mini?).

Mini keys were on the original microKORG afaik.

joeyluck

13 Jan 2016

:puf_smile:
eXode wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Again, not a fan of mini keys. I'd take the micro keys over mini, but in these photos the scale of the keys look more natural than on the MS-20 Mini. Not sure. Dunno if it's just more fitting to the keyboard. But I will have to see how it plays in the store.
Not mini keys, slim keys. The same variant that is on the new ARP Odyssey (and MS20mini?).

Mini keys were on the original microKORG afaik.
I have heard mini keys vs. micro keys. But yes, they typically feel slim.

• Information