XLR vs. 1/4 Cables

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
clone

03 Jan 2016

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy some new cables for a BBE maximizer I purchased yesterday. So I was wondering, why is their options to use those two types of cables?
Need cables to plug into my EQ, to my maximizer. Does it make a difference on sound with XLR and 1/4 cables?

Thanks,

clone

Vince-Noir-99

03 Jan 2016

Hello. Both connectors are provided for practicality and most times XLR is balanced, whilst 1/4" unbalanced (though balanced is not uncommon as well). What to use depends on whether your signal path is balanced or not.

XLR: heavy duty, 3pins: hot, cold, ground, cleaner signal. Typically used in the studio to connect microphones, outboard gear, mixer, speakers..

1/4": if unbalanced, it will only carry hot and ground (tip and sleeve i.e. electric guitar jack), if balanced, it will look like a stereo jack (i.e. headphones) and will have tip, ring, sleeve. Same goes for 1/8".

Normally all connections are labelled Balanced/Unbalanced.

Hope that helps.

clone

03 Jan 2016

I just noticed I posted in wrong forum, thought I put it in Hardware and software's.

The thing is, I don't know nothing about Balanced / Unbalanced? I'm connecting a maximizer to my DJ rig.
So I'm connecting from my eq with female xlr to maximizer, 1/4 cable. Going to order online.

joeyluck

03 Jan 2016

clone wrote:I just noticed I posted in wrong forum, thought I put it in Hardware and software's.

The thing is, I don't know nothing about Balanced / Unbalanced? I'm connecting a maximizer to my DJ rig.
So I'm connecting from my eq with female xlr to maximizer, 1/4 cable. Going to order online.
Moved it for ya :)

clone

03 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
clone wrote:I just noticed I posted in wrong forum, thought I put it in Hardware and software's.

Moved it for ya :)

Hey thanks Joey!

• Information