logic stock sounds = wow

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
decibel

01 Jan 2016

have recently began tinkering with logic pro x, and the first thing that has really blown me away is the stock sounds that come with the app, the quality is amazing and im inspired immediately without even thinking of importing anything or searching for plugins..

it makes me think how overdue reasons factory sound bank and orchestra is in need of a complete overhaul, if they dedicated some time and resources into raising the quality of the stock sound libraries for R9 it would be a great bit of extra incentive i think. as it is, it seems the current libraries were developed for a time when the goal was to keep the application as lite as possible to be used on the far less capable machines of yesteryear, now days most modern machines have far more storage space and faster processing abilities, i think reason should do this rather then push us towards buying RE'S such as a-list guitars etc

Chritet

01 Jan 2016

Agree, reason or ableton stock sounds are really cheap against Logic.
But in Logic each sound is like a combinator with lot of effect and layer.
And with Alchemy now It's a dream !

Each daw have some great features. I sequence in Ableton and use Reason in Rewire and MainStage ( Logic) with the IAC midi

pjeudy

01 Jan 2016

When I first used THOR, back in the day ...the default patch was called EPIC (something, I can't remember) anyway... I loaded up THOR hit a key on the Midi controller...then never again opened THOR. Not for a few weeks if not months. After hearing that Horrible default THOR patch I didn't even want to open THOR.Of course fast forward a few years..I like THOR a LOT!!

Then I discovered setting devices to initialize...been using that setting ever since.
Actually other then a few sounds from the NNXT, I never use the patches in Reason ever ! I can't even tell you what they sound like.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

decibel

01 Jan 2016

i dont think anybody uses the soundbanks in reason ?

joeyluck

01 Jan 2016

decibel wrote:i dont think anybody uses the soundbanks in reason ?
I use them! Always great starting points. I get ideas and inspiration from FSB patches. After recording, I'll often then makes patch edits, browse for others, or create my own.

esselfortium

02 Jan 2016

The stock libraries are definitely way out of date. There's some useful stuff in there, but a lot of things desperately need upgrading. New orchestral instruments would be especially appreciated. Maybe something nice to show off a new, more capable sampler ;)
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2016

decibel wrote:as it is, it seems the current libraries were developed for a time when the goal was to keep the application as lite as possible
You have to remember that back in 2001 the factory sound bank was quite an offering.

The issue is not sure much "quality" but style and character and right now it just may not be in tune with the sound many are going for.

I do think Reason would have more appeal with an updated set of bread and butter sounds more in line with a keyboard workstation.

Vince-Noir-99

02 Jan 2016

I agree about Logic sounds. It's overall a great program and nothing beats it at 199€. Now that it has Alchemy with spectral/additive etc etc... I think it's a monster deal.

Regarding stock patches, I think I can identify where the issue lays: I find much more logical to have banks organised by traditional instrument categories such as brass, bass, woodwinds, strings etc...
I know it's a bit controversial in the context of synthesisers where one should be motivated to explore new dimensions of sound design and not always reproduce traditional acoustic instruments, but I believe the reference is a good starting point to know for instance, if it's a plucked type of sound rather than a blown instrument.
It may also be a good solution (something I did to organise my wav sample libraries) to follow the Sachs-Hornbostel system:
- Idiophones
- Membranophones
- Chordophones
- Aerophones

Even though I guess that might sound unintelligible to most, I find it much more meaningful in comparison to categories like 'Poly' or 'Lead'.
Obviously there should be a category 'electrophone' for sounds that are twisted enough to have lost any traditional physical property.

Another thing that would help, would be to reduce the presets to the basics. Let's take Thor and its multi oscillators as an example. I would find it most helpful to have a little bank of presets for each of the oscillators to showcase the character of each (Casio CZ, Yamaha FM, PPG, Analog whatever..).

Having said that, I find the Reason stock library for NN19 great because it's so old it has almost become vintage. It has that 90s workstation sound that we would otherwise have to request as a RE (Korg M1, Akai... ). I hope they won't get rid of it!

decibel

02 Jan 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote: Even though I guess that might sound unintelligible to most,
yeah, i have never heard some of those words until now lol, it made your post all the more interesting though ;)

Vince-Noir-99

02 Jan 2016

decibel wrote:
Vince-Noir-99 wrote: Even though I guess that might sound unintelligible to most,
yeah, i have never heard some of those words until now lol, it made your post all the more interesting though ;)

Thanks :) Which reminds me I should have specified their meaning. It's after all very simple.

Straight from wiki:
  1. Idiophones, such as the xylophone, which produce sound by vibrating themselves;
  • Membranophones, such as drums or kazoos, which produce sound by a vibrating membrane;
  • Chordophones, such as the piano or cello, which produce sound by vibrating strings;
  • Aerophones, such as the pipe organ or oboe, which produce sound by vibrating columns of air.

clone

03 Jan 2016

Does Logic have vst capabilities?

I'm looking purchase another daw and don't know much a lot about vet and rewire as well. Looking to broaden my horizons in the daw world.

pjeudy

03 Jan 2016

Using Plug-ins from Other Manufacturers
Logic Pro can act as a host for (compliant, correctly installed and authorized) Audio Units effect and instrument plug-ins from other manufacturers.

Important: Logic Pro cannot act as a host for plug-ins in VST or RTAS format. There are, however, utilities such as the VST to Audio Units Adapter (http://www.fxpansion.com), that “wrap” Mac OS X versions of VST plug-ins to create virtual Audio Units. Once wrapped, most of these plug-ins behave, and can be used, just like Audio Units.
SOURCE: https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1 ... tasks=true
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Vince-Noir-99

03 Jan 2016

clone wrote:Does Logic have vst capabilities?

I'm looking purchase another daw and don't know much a lot about vet and rewire as well. Looking to broaden my horizons in the daw world.
As far as I remember Logic uses AU plugin format only, though it could be possible to make a VST run with a few workarounds..

I can only but recommend Logic! Even without plugins it stands pretty well on its own with all its native instruments and effects. Most of them still look like 2002 but sound really good nevertheless. To mention a few less popular things: spectral gate, pitch tracker, match eq... Pedalboard is amazing on anything.
Last edited by Vince-Noir-99 on 03 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

mojo

03 Jan 2016

Same for me, after some searches I finally bought studio one 3, I'm still waiting for transfer license. The main reason for this purchase is that I want reaktor 6. But I'm a little scared after having spent so much money on RE, to be tempted to spend at least as much money for vsts. And i'll also have to change my way of working .

clone

03 Jan 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:

As far as I remember Logic uses AU plugin format only, though it could be possible to make a VST run with a few workarounds..

I can only recommend Logic! Even without plugins it stands pretty well on its own with all its native instruments and effects. Most of them still look like 2002 but sound really good nevertheless. To mention a few less popular things: spectral gate, pitch tracker, match eq... Pedalboard is amazing on anything.

That's great if that the case, I want to use reason with logic and Au plugins.

Vince-Noir-99

03 Jan 2016

mojo wrote:

Same for me, after some searches I finally bought studio one 3, I'm still waiting for transfer license. The main reason for this purchase is that I want reaktor 6. But I'm a little scared after having spent so much money on RE, to be tempted to spend at least as much money for vsts. And i'll also have to change my way of working .
Yeah I feel you. When I bought Reason last year, I had to think long and hard because, for simplicity, I wanted to focus on one program only. I therefore sold my Ableton Suite license, MaxMSP, Reaktor 5 and Logic. A couple of VSTi licenses I still have but that's alright.
The point for me is, the less, the easier. I'm the type of person who delivers more with restrictions. But REs... temptations temptations..

I must say Studio One looks bloody great, and, wait for it,,, FL studio too, I must say :puf_bigsmile: despite its lame stigma and name, it's packed with features!

shredmiyagi

03 Jan 2016

Agreed with this thread. As far as stock sounds go, Logic burns Reason.

The Orkester Sound Bank sounds like Casio. Charming but unusable for a serious film-score production.

The PH stock presets generally suck. Of course you can get a unlimited use out of the synths, but the presets are atrocious. I laughed at pjeudy's comment on Thor/Epic, because the same thing happened to me.

One thing I really dislike about the REs is it gave PH a means of overcharging for THEIR new synths. Parsec for example, is something that should've been included in R7 or 8 as a big selling point, not a $120 Rack Extension. I understand it went on sale for $60... but that should be the standard price, not $120. That much money is insane for a specialty synth that only works with 1 program and whose license can't be sold/transferred. I refuse to buy it. Then they throw it in with a super bundle for new Reason buyers. It's all a bit of a slap in the face IMO to an old Reason user.

Anyway, don't mean to bash PH too hard. I like Reason and continue using it... but I made a pact to not buy any more PH Rack Extensions. In fact, I'm very careful with Reason upgrades too; I'll try to hold off until 9 (still on 7).

Very glad I got Rob Papen, Synapse and Softube's stuff though. I don't really miss much from Logic or Komplete's synths.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2016

Well on the flip side it does leave the doors open for Refill creators and IDT Rack Extension designers to fill the gap.

decibel

03 Jan 2016

clone wrote:
Vince-Noir-99 wrote:

I can only recommend Logic! Even without plugins it stands pretty well on its own with all its native instruments and effects. Most of them still look like 2002 but sound really good nevertheless. To mention a few less popular things: spectral gate, pitch tracker, match eq... Pedalboard is amazing on anything.

heres something to help you get started :)

clone

03 Jan 2016

decibel wrote:
clone wrote:
Vince-Noir-99 wrote:

heres something to help you get started :)

Ok that easy!

But why would Logic change it's 32bit to 64, and screw everyone and not make it compatible? That sucks! So everyone who has AU and Waves can not use it on the newest upgrade.

• Information